Best Zigbee Smart Plugs

What are the recommended Zigbee Smart Plugs?

I'm looking to control some desk lamps and floor lamps, not sure if there is a difference in features that I should be looking for.

I found these on Amazon, does anyone have experience with them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SQGG8Z7/ref=crt_ewc_img_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WXSGUJDRACS3

Thanks for the help,
--Christian

Do you care about dimming them or just want switch? I don't install new lights that don't dim but some people don't care. So thought I'd ask.

No, that's no necessary.

Just on and off.

--Christian

Well, the cheapest way to go would actually be to use Sengled Zigbee bulbs. They connect directly to HE and only cost about $10 each. Even less if you buy a multipack or "used" ones which I have many, many times and they are perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-E11-G13W-Equivalent-Assistant-SmartThings/dp/B01N7I4X94

But they won't act as repeaters. If you're looking for a device that will act as a repeater for your mesh network, I still have to go with these:

You can offer less than what he's asking, you can usually get $5 knocked off. They are excellent zigbee repeaters and work perfectly with Hubitat. And are also around $10 each. But they are a big bulky hanging on the wall.

2 Likes

Ryan, those look like they will work for me, size isnt really a problem, but what does it mean by "Has a Zigbee Protocol with a Z-Wave repeater built in"?

Is it a Zigbee and Z-Wave repeater?

Sometimes....and let me explain.
It is supposed to be a repeater for both. And that's the way it's sold. However, there are switches out there with 2 different firmware versions. And there's no way to know which one it is until you connect it to the hub. And there's no way to update the firmware now that Iris has shut down. I have 9 of these plugs. 4 work as z-wave repeaters, the other 5 pair to the z-wave radio as repeaters but very quickly get dropped by the hub because they don't stay connected.

So, if you HAVE to have more z-wave repeaters, these aren't the thing to do that. If you get 5 and all of them are z-wave repeaters, then Yahtzee! You win. I had 4 of them before buying this set of 5, none of them were good z-wave repeaters. All the ones that work for me came from this lot.

Now, the zigbee side, that's rock solid. Only caveat to that, these do not repeat for Xiaomi devices. That is a chinese manufacturer of very discount zigbee devices that some love. Personally, I wouldn't let one look at my zigbee network, let alone pair to my hub. So, if you are thinking about getting any of them, then I wouldn't get these and would get Tradfri plugs.

That said...I didn't mention Tradfri because I'm not located anywhere near an Ikea store and their shipping is horrendous, IMHO. But if you're located near an Ikea, you can check out the Tradfri plugs. They make good zigbee repeaters and are only $10 as well. And you can get one today. But since I'm not close to one, I never think of them.

1 Like

Yes.. It is a ZigBee device.. but has a z-wave repeater as well.. I have a bunch of these..

1 Like

I was planning to mainly have Zigbee devices, but the idea of one unit that repeats for Zigbee and Zwave sounds great!

Are there any other plugs or devices that do both signals like this?

--Christian

Nope...this is the only one. And they're discontinued too. :cry: They were made for the Iris system which was sold by lowes that used both zigbee and z-wave.

Since they are ON/OFF only, do they "click" when operated?

Thanks
John

Yes. You can hear the relay.

1 Like

I like the Centralite Minis

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DFPYV4K/

3 Likes

They're good too...but they're twice the price and don't have the z-wave repeater.

Yeah, but they don't block the other half of a duplex receptacle ...or look like crap.

1 Like

Edit: There are a host of reasons people have pointed out on why NOT to use Peanuts. Turns out that can wreck havoc on your zigbee network in some cases. I'd suggest going for something else, I'm starting to replace mine with the ST outlet which I'm liking, and still have 1 peanut running that seems fine.

Many people in the community highly recommended the peanuts Zigbee outlets, I bought two of these and love them so far as just dumb outlets I can turn off and on.

With newer firmware they can do power reporting, but I don't have the hardward to upgrade them and the ones I recently got have older hardward.

1 Like

I have recently discovered that mine was causing issues in my zigbee network and have since removed it. While watching the router table, I saw the Peanut jump through 4 other router every couple of minutes. I don't know why this was occurring as everything had been static on my network for some time. But it was definitely causing other devices to occasionally have increased latency. So, I've taken the Peanut off my recommendation list.

3 Likes

Last week I bought 4 Innr zigbee Smart Plugs and 8 IKEA Tradfry Plug. Both easy pair and control from HE. The Inner plug is small , good quality, have on/off switch. The IKEA plug look bulky, cheaper, no on/off switch. Both are zigbee repeater functions.

Huh, good to know. Do you have a new fav?

Awesome, thank you.

Like I said, the Iris is still my fav.

how do you view/acces the router table?