Great Peanut Panic of 2020: What's the issue with the peanuts?

Can I add this to my title? Epic

11 Likes

I think it was noticed that in the child/routes table report the routes kept bouncing around every few mins/secs when the peanuts were repeating - so the mesh appeared to be somewhat unstable. I dunno if I ever really noticed a big issue or not either but for me it was one less thing to worry about given my hub slowdown issues.

Also +1 for Peanut Panic of 2020!!!!!

I would change it to The Great Peanut Panic of 2020 though... :rofl:

4 Likes

Now that you mention that, I did notice that happening, but I didn't feel like it was affecting my hub any, but I don't have a bunch of custom stuff installed at all. Just a few apps.

1 Like

I have 4 Peanuts with probably 150+ Zigbee devices now and no problem here at all. I don't use the power reporting though.

3 Likes

With devices I've learned to just do my own testing. Everybody's environment is different and as fast as I may say something works fine somebody else would be having issues. An example of this is the dome siren. Works fine for some, and for others you get many multiple chimes. This actually happens with other sirens as well.

The first I heard of the peanuts I think was with the xiaomi devices and them not being a good repeater. I can't remember if there ever was a definite answer though. And to top it off I believe they have different firmware versions that just make things a bit more difficult to troubelshoot.

In the end I like to do controlled tests and come to my own conclusions. This is how I've kept my environment stable over the last few years and its been running great.

2 Likes

Originally, this was more of a yellow flag than a panic. The Peanut has a - err, uhmm- dedicated following here that didn't want to lose a $15 outlet.

I have one on a relatively simple, 40-50 device, C4 hub. Everything has stayed stable. But, as a rule, I don't like devices unnecessarily banging a cpu, so that'll be the only one.

1 Like

I bought the spoofed router for 15$ and updated the firmware on my penuts. I hadn't looked at them since it was reported. Now they're off the network because I didn't really need them. But, I wanted to automate a couple of lights that weren't terribly important and a peanut would work great for that application.

2 Likes

I have 2 of these and am using them and my zigbee mesh is behaving just fine in terms of reliability.
I have not actively looked at my routing table, nor done any tests to see if this is causing any hub slow downs or over-time slow-downs.

Given the great panic, I don't plan to buy anymore, but definitely will keep using these unless further details come out on why I'm an idiot to do that.

I'd say go for it. Worst-case more details arise later and you know what you want to replace without any time urgency to do it. That's my strategy and it's working great so far.

1 Like

I know that my mesh is completely stable after removing them, and my Hub Watchdog virtual switch runs about 500ms faster on average. Before, I also had issues with a couple of the peanuts dropping off the network every few days. This was usually after a reboot, update, or soft reset and restore, which tells me they were getting corrupted. Since I removed them I have not had any problems. I did try rejoining them and had issues with dropped commands again after a couple days, so they’re back in the drawer.

3 Likes

Everything is OK. Baby Nut is here to save the day ….

7 Likes

Finally a sign of hope in this dark hour.

3 Likes

Put them on your ST hub and share them with HubConnect. Then you have no worries.

3 Likes

Then I can be a part of the "Hub Club". Right now I only run HE and I'm feeling a little shorted. ha!

2 Likes

You didn't put ES on your ST hub? tsk tsk :wink:
I also share devices like my smoke/co and water sensors to ST. That way I can use the ES actions app to send the messages to my Alexa devices. It works very well. I also have it put certain Alexa devices into do not disturb based on motion sensors or time/day of week, which you can't do in the Alexa app.

1 Like

:woozy_face: Never thought of it. I've been handed a few new challenges as of late. I'll be reporting a few things back here soon. You are right to scorn me publicly. Rookie mistake. :wink:

2 Likes

BTW, I offered to loan my ST hub to the newbie who feels like Hubitat could be better. :wink: Guess I'll have to hold off on that offer.

2 Likes

I hope nothing to serious.

hmmmm

1 Like

OKAY Okay .... you busted me. I need to follow through. I'm not worthy. :grin:
The challenge is an automation challenge from @adamkempenich. More to come on that.
I find things I'm interested in, then lose interest. Then find them again. I'll follow through on ES and blow the dust off of my smartthings hub this weekend. I need to be in the "hub club" anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

FYI, you need the plug the ST hub in only to setup HubConnect. You can safely unplug it after that for cloud integrations like ES.

2 Likes

The challenge is to stack AS MANY echos on top of each other as possible

I have four stacked right now. Mr. Bezos saw me doing this from my Echo Show and is currently flying to North Dakota to personally congratulate me. He may travel to Iowa, next.

2 Likes