Aqara FP2 released

Do you have any window coverings or shower curtains that might be moving slightly when your HVAC system turns on? How about any plants? What about handing towels? These sensors are very sensitive to any motion in the room.

Also on latest firmware v1.1.7_0002.0028.
Working well apart from the annoying ghosts...
From a quick glance, I can see that the app and integration in HA show the same thing, i.e. ghosts are reported in both cases.

Summary

I hope things improve, otherwise I am likely to return this.

3 Likes

Just received my wall mount Tuya mmW sensor today. It's every bit as good as the reviews state. I don't see why you would still order an Aqara FP1 with these available. For that matter, I wouldn't personally spend the money on an FP2 for an application that only needs a single zone.

I'm pretty happy with the FP2 features and performance, but for $28 CAD (After discount, I only paid $20 CAD shipped), you would be much better off with four of these in many cases.

3 Likes

Yes, I love the Tuya ZY-M100, they are great!
They are working fine in two bedrooms.
Unfortunately, I failed to get it to work in the living room, hallway, and bathroom as the radar sees through walls!
Will test further.

2 Likes

Are you using Z2M on HA? There's a fair amount of tweaking that can be done, but only Z2M exposes it.

I have access to Zigbee2MQTT but do not use it... the options are the same as provided by @kkossev excellent drivers.
From my limited testing the main option to get right is the placement of sensor and max_range (I normally use a tape measurer to measure distance). However, the problem is adjacent rooms, for example, sensor placed in the bathroom easily detects the adjacent room as the space is too small in the bathroom.

Summary

2 Likes

First odd (more so than what I've already read about here :wink:) behavior from the FP2 this morning. Blue light suddenly started flashing (Forgot to check if it was still active in HA :man_facepalming:), as if it was in pairing mode. Unblocked its internet and opened the Aqara app, but it couldn't be found. Tried to pair it again, but nothing found. I power cycled it for 30 sec and it came back online like nothing had changed. Blocked its internet again and it's working in HA just as before.

Is this typical behavior? Does it just suddenly drop off and I'm going to need to reboot every so often? I'm on firmware 1.15 still, so maybe this is a unique experience. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I have not observed this behavior, however I am no longer running 1.15. So, possibly something that was fixed in 1.16 or 1.17? I do know that my FP2 was upgraded within the first day or two of my ownership. Thus, it is possibly a bug in older firmware. NOT that I am recommending you upgrade - it is just a hypothesis...

1 Like

Thanks Dan. I'll keep watch for the update and see how things shakeout with those that are already on 1.17_0028 to see if I should be joining the party.

Got mine in yesterday and I'm evaluating in parallel for now... I think I have the three ghosts pretty well trapped for now, but we'll see how it goes. (Still on fw 1.1.5_0001.0015)

Summary

By what kinds of walls? Drywalls, or concrete/brick?

Well, it's been about a day or so... my observation is that while it's using mmWave, positional accuracy seems to be measured in meters...

Glad I only got one for testing.

I read a comment somewhere (the HA community I think) that said it will stop working if the Internet is blocked. Is anyone else here successfully using it with the Internet blocked?

There was a report from Lewis Barclay, which may have been due to an even earlier firmware on press devices Aqara sent out. Don't know, as he didn't specify the firmware version he was testing with in the article.

However, I can tell you that on v1.15 and later, it does indeed continue to report the occupancy state in the zones when the internet is blocked. You simply cannot adjust the zones without temporarily unblocking its internet access.

[Edit] Hmm, I do notice that the screenshot from his article shows version 1.16, so it's possible he was just incorrect.

1 Like

I feel like I have to say "successfully" with a huge asterix. I have my FP2s on HA, and they definitely work sending status to HA even with the internet blocked for the FP2s. The huge asterix is that the Aqara app won't talk to the FP2s at all in that state. The app just says there was a connection error anytime you try and interact with one of the FP2s. As long as you only need the status reported to HA, you're fine. But if you want to do any troubleshooting or update the zones with the Aqara app, the FP2s have to have internet connectivity.

1 Like

Just a separate piece of anecdotal observation, in my experience it has been very accurate. Certainly not that the meter level. It’s accurately placing me into a zone while I sit at a desk or sit on the couch.

1 Like

Yeah, more of an exaggerated comment on my part, but I watched the icon move the equivalent of about two meters while my daughter laid motionless in her bed...

Doesn't happen all the time, but it's hard to create automations based on that if it happens at all.

Has anyone else noticed that even though HA is reporting the PF2 as a Presence Sensor, when using Home Assistant Device Bridge, it only works when HE uses the Generic Motion Sensor driver? Even if you change the driver to a Generic Presence Sensor, it still displays motion, not presence, in the Current Status area in the driver.

In the Hubitat environment, a presence sensor is specific to a person, object, animal (e.g. tied to a users cell phone being 'home', or a dog's collar with a presence fob being in range of the Zigbee network.)

Thus, the FP2's zones should be mapped from HA to HE as child motion devices, not child presence devices.

Is this causing any issues for how you want to use the FP2's zones? Each one acts as a motion sensor, indicating that someone is in a particular region of the house. This is pretty much exactly how PIR motion sensors work. However, the mmWave sensors are much, much more sensitive to very small movements, and can thus still detect a mostly motionless person sitting on a couch, for example.

3 Likes

The same applies also to Aqara FP1 and Tuya mmWave radar drivers in Hubitat.

1 Like