Aqara FP2 released

I ordered mine Saturday, due in today

Fresh off the Amazon truck....

2 Likes

After having the sensor for a month, finally got around to actually automating the lights in the living room. For years now I havenā€™t automated lights in here, given the minimal movement while watching TV. But gotta say itā€™s working pretty well, pleased overall with its performance.

4 Likes

My delivery status got updated today to be late next week. They are back in stock again (US) right now.

This might be a sign they might soon stay in stock.

I should add that I'm pretty happy how mine are working. This is the view in HA, as I sit in the kitchen in the computer nook typing this. As you can see, I've not yet updated the zones in HA to match the named areas on the Aqara app for the FR FP2.

and the view from the Aqara app:

(As I was collecting the pictures, a large cloud covered the house and the lux plummeted).

2 Likes

Properly abused before delivery. :joy:

2 Likes

Are all of your FP2 zones the exact same color? From the image above, it appears you have one zone. :thinking:

1 Like

Oh, I didn't know I could color them! I find the Aqara app frustrating at best.

Updated:

4 Likes

Finally! Got one ordered (est June 16th). Looking forward to playing around.

Got this running in HA HomeKit Controller and blocked from the internet. Responds local really quickly. Like most have said, the zone setup will take some tweaking to get right. Looks super promising though.

Mine shipped with 1.15 firmware and Iā€™m keeping it there until I get confirmation from other users that its issues are resolved.

2 Likes

Finally my two FP2 arrived.
Installation was very easy and integration with HE via HA + HADB was very easy as well.
I guess, I made a mistake upgrading both to latest firmware 1.1.7.0002.0028
Maybe my problem are related to the upgrade but I am not happy with these sensors.
First one is installed in a bathroom with no zones.
Second one is installed in a living room and I an trying to create few zones.
Neither one is producing a reliable results no matter what combinations for sensitivity
and proximity I am trying.
Both are periodically stuck in Occupancy Detected mode forever.
Zone detection is completely unreliable. Human icons (sometime up to 4) are randomly
jumping around. There is very little correlation between real human body location and
what is showing in Aqara app.
Bottom line: At least with current/latest firmware version these sensors are next to
useless even without zone detection option.

Am I missing something important in setup/configuration or this latest firmware is
a disaster?

My FP2 is working very reliably now (integrated via HomeKit), but I was going to return it on the first day, it was so bad initiallyā€¦

Leave it for a day and then try again.
I had to use an old Android phone to be able to use the Aqara Home app. The iPhone app seems to be still buggy.

1 Like

I have 2 of these. Both are garbage. Completely unreliable unfortunately. One was on the prior firmware and just stopped working one day. The other is newer and on the latest firmware. Itā€™s just never worked reliably. Apparently my house is haunted and is THE PLACE to be judging from all the ghosts I constantly see in the Aqara app.

My previous two were both killed by my faulty power adapter, nothing to do with the product. They acted similar to what youā€™re describing before they died (or were killed to be more precise).

I had made the same mistake and upgraded them to the latest firmware. I saw lots of ghosts in both of them before they met their demise from the same bad adapter. The one I have now is at 1.15, and while I occasionally see those ghosts, they go away by themselves pretty quickly. The forums are suggesting that there will be an update around two weeks so. Just hang tight and I think things will get better. Theyā€™re not perfect, but they seem to be very capable devices. Just some kinks that need to be worked out in the firmware. Iā€™m pretty confident they will get there soon enough.

This isnā€™t a company that doesnā€™t care deeply about their public image. Their products are actually really reliable. You canā€™t judge what youā€™ve heard from people trying to join them directly to HE and getting mixed results. I have many of their Zigbee devices joined via a Combee II with Zigbee2MQTT on HA and they are solid performers. Never drop.

1 Like

Why do companies refuse to include power adapters if they make their product so sensitive. Do they expect their customers to be electrical engineers? I just used an old phone charger. Powered on fine. Now I wonder if these types of devices can cause fires due to customers using the ā€œwrongā€ ac adapter.

I put my FP2s in a drawer. Will drag them out if a firmware update comes along but Iā€™m not expecting much at this point. Hard to believe these were tested during development. Maybe they were using the wrong adapters?

First answer is that itā€™s a trend that was started by tech companies like Apple, saying they were doing it to reduce the e-waste caused from unnecessary adapters. Thereā€™s a fair argument for that, but it also saves companies a lot of money, so itā€™s gained popularity. In the case of this device in particular , I do agree that a proper adapter should be included.

However, in my particular case, the failure was caused by a faulty adapter. Iā€™m using four of the exact same adapters on my Hubitat hubs and my Lutron Smart Bridge Pro, and have been for over two years with no trouble. This was just one of those cases where one of the adapters was bad and it fried components of the input power in the FP2. I was foolish enough not to also change the adapter when the first FP2 failed, and I subsequently fried the second one with the same faulty adapter. :man_facepalming:

By the time I looked up why the first FP2 had a solid red light, the second one had already fried.

Lessons learned.

1. Red solid lights usually are not a good sign :roll_eyes:
  2. If a device dies, donā€™t plug a new device back into that same adapter :grimacing:
  3. Donā€™t update firmware without checking with what others are saying or at least trying the shipped firmware first. But there can be exceptions to this rule, such as critical security flaws. Read the release notes before making that call.

Iā€™m actually fortunate I fried the first two in a way. I had just accepted the firmware update without pause, and as a result they were showing the issues everyone else is also complaining about with 1.17
Due to my frying them, I got a chance to try one again with 1.15 firmware, and while it may have some of the issues that were fixed in newer firmware, it does not seem to have the major problems that were unintentionally introduced in the 1.17 build.

Reverting firmware versions would be a nice feature for Aqara to add if possible. I know people like AlexxIT have created firmware hacks with tools that allow Xiaomi Mijia hubs to be forward and backward flashed. Maybe they or someone else will do similar with the FP2. However, there can be risks associated with upgrading and reverting firmware, but it varies greatly depending on the device architecture.

I donā€™t think Aqara shipped without careful testing, and the generally good results Iā€™m seeing from the shipped 1.15 firmware does support that theory. Firmware updates always have the chance to introduce unexpected bugs, and thatā€™s whatā€™s happened here. Iā€™m certain Aqara is frustrated with the outcome too, and it would explain why the seem to have slowed down the release cycle. Never a bad idea. When your kids run and fall, the typical advice is to tell them to slow down. You donā€™t tell them to go faster and donā€™t screw up this time! :wink:

Meh, that's why you have at least 2 kids... An heir and a spare... :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I've been taking my time with this and getting the zones right. Last night I decided it was stable enough to start adding FP2 zones into automations. Using HADB, I have brought the zones into HE and they appear as highly responsive motion sensors. Perfect! :+1:

Once they are in, I'm using the Home Assistant HomeKit Controller integration's sensor view to know when a zone is activated or not. Probably works the same with the Apple Home app, but I'm not using that, so I cannot comment. This is far better than trying to use the detected person icon on the Aqara FP2 Zone map. It would be great if the app worked perfectly, but it often doesn't show you as present, even though you are detected (which I'm determining by looking at the HomeKit Controller sensor view as previously mentioned). This allows quick and accurate adjustment of the FP2 zones. I simply open the Aqara app and make a Zone adjustment, save it and then flip to Chrome on my iPhone to see exactly when I'm detected in Home Assistant or not as I move in and out of the zones.

It's early, but I suspect that what some people are seeing as ghosts in the Aqara Zone map, are merely in the Aqara app alone. A bug in the app, and not a problem with the actual FP2 1.15 firmware I'm running. I'm finding no actual person detected in that zone when the app shows that a ghost exists in that zone. Again, I may be incorrect here, but the evidence I'm finding of actual detection when viewing the HomeKit Controller sensor status indicates otherwise. However, if you have upgraded to 1.17, this may not be the case. I'm sorry if you're plagued with poor performance due bugs in 1.17, and I empathize with you. As I mentioned in my previous post, circumstances both within, and beyond my control gave me a second chance to avoid the allegedly faulty 1.17 firmware the second time around, and I can now safely wait for the next release and see how it shakes out before making the non-revertable choice to upgrade.

Hope this information is helpful and I'm interested to hear if anyone with FP2 firmware version 1.17 can either corroborate, or confute my findings using the same methodology. :v:

4 Likes

I am running the 1.17 firmware on my FP2 and it is working fine. While the Aqara app on my iPhone is a little wonky, my home automations are working just fine. I am also using HA to HADB to bring my FP2 zones into HE.

I have had some luck in the iOS Aqara app by opening the FP2 sensor page, then clicking the 3 dot menu (top right), wait until it says updated, then going back to the main sensor page. Afterwards, it at least shows something on the screen. Rebooting the FP2 sensor also sometimes helps.

Hopefully Aqara will work through these bugs soon.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I upgraded my two FP2 to latest FW V1.17
My integration is also done via HA HomeKit Controller + HADB.
Unfortunately all ghosts are very real because near all of them generated a correspondent event.
The one in a bathroom does not have any zones defined. Over night when it suppose to be quiet
it did generated many (10+) events. I guess, I have to wait until next firmware release hopping
it will fix things.