Aqara FP2 released

HomeKit solution with virtual switches that @Sebastien is describing needs a HomeKit hub for the automation (i.e. Apple TV 4 or later HomePod/HomePod mini).

Home assistant solution just needs HomeKit controller integration installed on HA and then install Home Assistant Device Bridge on the HE hub. There are plenty of instructions and videos on how to do this integration.

6 Likes

Thanks. That makes the decision easy then. Home assistant it is.. Seeing I have that setup already, including hadb

3 Likes

I see they are $30 cheaper now down here ($169). Is that what tempted you? I'm considering buying another....

Yes they caught me with that temptation.. Although I ordered mine from Amazon for 2 bucks cheaper ha ha. Although now the inpatient me wondered if there was stock in stores somewhere

1 Like

I ended up using Amazon as well, was an $8 difference if you add on the typical $6 delivery by Officeworks or JB. Thanks for the tip.

It sucked you in too ha ha. Even though I know these have had mixed feedback.. Once I realised it would work well in my home theatre (converted garage) and the discount well the thoughts started flowing in = temptation.

I wrote a reddit post asking people what they use them for in general but in the end it was my curiosity that got me. And if course the discount.

I'm thinking of.... All in rule machine if I can manage to keep clear of home assistant automations.

if no one in the recliners and someone walks in then turn the lights on full.

If someone sits in the recliners then begin a transition of dimming the lights once the projector gets turned on.

If anyone walks in and someone is in the recliner and the projector on, then turn the back lights on dim only.

If everyone leaves the recliners then start turning all the lights on gradually..

Niw let's hope they are capable of this and reliable enough. Worst case is I have a little fun setting it all up.

1 Like

I know this question likely should be elsewhere...

But I don't see "homekit controller" as an add on integration. I believe it just shows in home assistant these days once fp2 is detected on the network without installing an extra integration?

Yep, mine made itself discoverable by default. I just removed it from HA after I relocated it and setup the zones again. Probably didn't need to, but I chose to. I just restarted the sensor, so hoping it will be discoverable again... Or not :slightly_frowning_face:. Restart of HA did the trick :slightly_smiling_face:

The HomeKit device is under Apple.

2 Likes

Just saw a firmware update is available... Anyone try it yet?

I went ahead an updated... So far, it seems like ghosts disappear very quickly.

3 Likes

Yeah I updated mine as well. Ghosts do still seem to appear, but do go away.

2 Likes

Love how thourough they are with their update logs on this oneā€¦ :wink:

From the iPad app:

From the iPhone app:

3 Likes

I noticed that too :slightly_smiling_face:. Us Dev's love documentation. Anyway, it fixes known issues, so you must know what they are referring to.... Surely?

3 Likes

Well of course! I know exactly which issue they are referring to! You too, right? :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah, so helpful that they took away the previous release details page. So now, not only are thier firmware updates irreversible, but you may not know what they address beyond a blanket statement. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Seems like I walked straight into the latest update. Updates seem fast and accurate but early days. No ghosts that I've seen. Hoping they change the room layout in app so it can represent a corner placement. I believe I saw it somewhere on reddit from someone at aqara but who knows how long until that is implemented.

The only things reported to HA/HE are motion (actually presence) status yes? And lux. Entries and exits are not yet supported.

Presence and lux, yes. Not sure what you mean by entries and exits.... I would have thought those were identifiable by motion (presence) moving between active and innactive?

I use mine for pretty much exactly this, if my projector is on and it picks up presence then the lights in that area (behind the lounge etc) come on very dimly, if the projector is not on then the lights come on as normal, if the projector is on and certain lights are already on presence does nothing to change them and so on. I had to use virtual devices shared to Alexa to do this as it controls the projector on and off and the FP2 motion/no motion flags then Hubitat takes these switch statuses and does it's thing. I'm going to expand on this to turn off the cinema mood lighting when the cinema area is empty for a given time, I cant just turn it off with the projector going off as my daughter and her friends hang out there and don't necessarily have the cinema stuff on when they do but like the coloured LED strips on etc.

The thing I really like here is the one motion sensor is covering the whole room with different zones and different scenarios depending on what else is happening in the room and what is on or off already, I feel like it wouldn't have been possible without these very defined areas offered by the FP2 :slight_smile:

It's all been very reliable in the month or so I have had it setup and I'll expand on it to cover a few other scenarios now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, with firmware version 1.2.0_0002.0037, it looks like it isnā€™t always detecting people. I have an automation that wouldnā€™t trigger and I thought there might have been an issue somewhere in the ā€œchainā€, only to investigate and find that presence is just being ignored when it shouldnā€™tā€¦ Thatā€™s a problemā€¦

In the aqara app there is a "entry and exit" attribute for a zone. Maybe I need to read about whether they contribute the general presence of the space.. So those zones are contributing to the status of what's called presence_sensor_1

I have a feeling I may need to read some more...

I found previously that I needed to power cycle mine when it updated or if I did a lot of fiddling around with zone changes etc otherwise it wouldn't always trigger the Alexa routines, typically 3 would work and 1 wouldn't or something like that and it would consistently not work until power cycled then no issues. I didn't need to do this with the 1.2 update though.

2 Likes