Aqara FP2 released

it might be udp packets lol - got burned once by that work years ago was only watching for TCP

The only filter I had applied was the IP.

Hi my friend :slight_smile:
were you able to test the new Tuya sensor you were mentioning? Looks good? Compatibility?

There is a new thread for the new 24GHz Tuya radar. At this time the driver supports only the basic functionality.

On Aqara FP2 - has anyone succeeded to achieve a reliable presence detection when a person is sleeping?

We have one in our bedroom to detect presence in bed and it generally works. We did however have to combine it with a pressure sensor as otherwise it seems to go from not present to present quite often during the night, so certainly not perfect.

2 Likes

I've found the sleep detection much better this summer than I did when we first got it (still winter). I'm waiting until next winter to see if that's because the firmware got better or if it's because we're sleeping with a lighter cover over us in the summer.

I added a bluetooth sensor in the bedroom and paired our watches to it for added presence detection in the bedroom.

Before someone asks, I use HomeAssistant as my main "brain" for home automation (Hubitat is used as basically a Z-Wave/Zigbee bridge), so both the FP2s and the ESPresence bluetooth stuff are in HA. But the principle is the same.

2 Likes

Mine is pretty good.

My two FP2 are basically useless and I am ready to get rid of these toys.
I am in Sunny Isles Beach, Florida. If any one wants these two toys please
give me a reasonable price and you are welcome to pick them up.
I am sorry, but I am to...o lazy to ship them out, self pickup is OK.

Last post I see from you mentioning the firmware version. Did you try updating to 1.1.9? It works fine for me and others.

Yes, both are updated to the latest 1.1.9 firmware.
The biggest problem with these FP2s - they are sensitive to even very little air movements.
i tried to reduce sensitivity and to create restrictions, etc. Sensors actually working
but do not produce reliable presence data and therefore they are useless for the automations.
I bought few Zigbee Tuya mmWave sensors. These cannot be pared directly with C8
(seems to be known problem) but have no pairing problems with C7 and these are
very reliable and also looking good (small square flat white box). My wife even did
not notice one in a bathroom.

Hmmmmmmm... now to just get a sound detector in there...squeak squeak squeak.....
/I'll throw myself out now...

1 Like

Which ones did you buy? I am interested in getting one to try it out.

I am confused, if I am correct there is only hardware version of FP2.
Yes, the firmware is upgradable and my two are on the latest version 1.1.9
If you want them (both at the same time, I don't want to split them)
you are welcome to pick them up. Sorry but I don't want to deal with any
shipping. And these toys are not free, you have to make me a reasonable offer.

Sorry about that, I am at work and was not completely paying attention. Which version of the Zigbee Tuya mmWave sensors did you get? Do you happen to have the link for it?

Just a thought. If you're having trouble finding a local buyer for your FP2s, maybe just hang on to them and ceiling mount them some day for fall detection. None of us are getting any younger. Might come in handy.

1 Like

I got Tuya Human Presence sensors, Zigbee, Wall Mounted version:

Warning! They are not pairing directly with C8 but C7 + HubMesh is working very well.
These sensors are a bit noisy, i.e. they are sending a lot of unnecessary messages.
Because of these phenomena I did not expose them to C8 "as is". Instead I created
a Virtual MS on C7, Mirror Tuya Sensor only motion attribute to this Virtual MS and
exposed VMS to the C8. The result is - no garble messages are sending across Hum Mesh.

Also fine tuning of the Tuya Sensors (and I am sure, all mmWave sensors) is very tricky.
These sensors are seeing through the walls. In the Bathroom it took me two attempts
to find a right place/angle for the sensor mounting. And then I tried many different
combinations of sensitivity, maxDistance and fadingTime before sensor started to
produce very reliable and trusted presence results. Now I am in a middle of fine tuning
similar sensor in the Kitchen (getting very close to finalize placement and settings).

But, unfortunately nothing worked for the FP2 sensors. These are producing well
too many falls detections.

Sure. If nobody is willing to pick them up they will go into "spare toys" drawer.
Who knows, maybe one day they will be somewhat useful. But by this time
something much better could become available.

So integration of the FP2 into Home assistant, then link those presence devices into hubitat is the best current way of integrating this still? Seems that way but just checking in case I've missed something.

Linking through HomeKit is also an option. It requires creating virtual devices that are shared with HomeKit. It also requires creating rules in HomeKit to turn them on/off when presence is detected, or not.

1 Like

If I already have home assistant already setup and integrated into hubitat, but not home kit, what would be the suggested best approach? Both home kit and home assistant don't need anything special do they? Both fairly similar efforts expect in my case home assistant is already setup and linked to hubitat?

I believe first link the FP2 to aqara. Then either setup an account (and assume also add aqara integration) if looking at home kit, or just setup aqara integration in home assistant if using that. Setup rules to turn devices on in either home assistant or home kit. Then use the hubitat integrations for either home assistant or home kit if using home kit to detect the state changes.

I can do some further reading if need be. I haven't looked too much as of yet to be honest. I only just ordered the FP2 online so it's early days.