Aqara FP2 released

mmWave is the future. But the future in not here yet!

7 Likes

Yep, these are still not perfect, but they are improving quickly..

BTW, there are some Zigbee mmWave sensors that are available locally in the US and that Hubitat may want to look at and provide a native support in the future :

Linptech : [BETA] Linptech/Moes 24Ghz Presence Sensor ES1 ( TS0225 _TZ3218_awarhusb ) drivers

Coming soon: SONOFF SONOFF Zigbee Human Presence Sensor | SNZB-06P

,,,, and of course ,.. we are all waiting for Hubitat Matter support, that will bring even more mmWave sensors to the platform,

4 Likes

I thought you'd say you are waiting for Aqara to add Matter support to the FP2 :wink:

3 Likes

Both.. as it is for other good things in the life, we need at least two parties… : )

2 Likes

Don't get your hopes too high. It will not help eliminate ghosts, but will help making them disappear faster: here is me and my 2 ghosts getting some coffee earlier

4 Likes

I am cross-posting here about another type of occupancy sensor that works perfectly in some specific environments ( one door only available for entry and exit from a room ) - ToF (Time of Flight) sensors. I''ve been using such one for almost about an year now with excellent results - actually less prone to errors in detecting room occupanyce than any mmWave sensor!

If anyone else has any experience with similar ToF sensors, please comment in the thread above.

This is how the ToF sensor looks like and where it is typically mounted :

4 Likes

I found mine worked better in a corner. This was recommended Automate Your Life. Perhaps because the radar isn't reflecting directly back off of flat surfaces that way?

The DIY Smart Home Guy has a new video on connecting the Aqara FP2 to Hubitat using virtual devices:

6 Likes

Cyber Monday sale at Amazon has this for US$62.24.

Unfortunately, it still requires the internet but it's nice to see it work with Hubitat.

It depends on what mechanism you choose to use to integrate the FP2 with Hubitat. I have my FP2 paired directly via HomeKit to Home Assistant. I then share the HA FP2 devices with Hubitat using the Home Assistant Device Bridge. This is all 100% local. No cloud required for these integrations to work.

The Aqara mobile phone app does use a cloud connection in order to configure the FP2 device. However, some users have blocked the FP2 from the internet afterwards, and everything continues to function (except the Aqara app, of course!)

4 Likes

The automation Pete showed also does not require internet to function. But it’s quite lame that HomeKit automation still requires you to build a complete separate automation for both when a device turns ON and when it turns OFF. And they still don’t support toggle.

There is a new firmware update :

I can't say there is a difference for now ...

6 Likes

This article speaks to the latest firmware update...

5 Likes

The Aqara FP2 was not nominated to participate in the final "Product of the Year Elevated by Hubitat in 2023 " list, but we can still vote for its little brother - the Linptech mmWave sensor.

4 Likes

That's just not right. It deserves this more than any other. No new device as unique and feature rich has been introduce this year that exceeds what it's capable of.

2 Likes

I am sure it will become a users' favorite in 2024, once Matter takes off (assuming they make good on their promises :wink:)

4 Likes

Are there any good tutorials for setting this up with hubitat (without alexa or homekit)? Picked up one but havent had much luck, guessing i need one of those two or the m2 hub?

Only other way I'm aware of currently is via Home Assistant (using the HomeKit Device integration) and Home Assistant Device Bridge to bring the zone status back into Hubitat.

Despite the name, that integraton doesn't require you are a HomeKit user. It simply uses an integration on Home Assistant to allow it to act like a HomeKit Controller (which was the former and less confusing name of it). Once the FP2 is added to the HA HomeKit Device integration, the zones you setup in the Aqara app for the FP2 will show up in HA as occupancy entities. HADB can then bring these entities into Hubitat where they show up as motion sensor devices.

3 Likes

Well, it worked directly with habitat if you m2
Hub?

No. There's no integration for that.

The FP2 doesn't need a hub. It's WiFi, not Zigbee like the FP1 was. Currently it uses HomeKit over WiFi for communication. Eventually it is supposed to support Matter over WiFi and then it should be able to work with Hubitat directly.

2 Likes