[2.2.4.139] Woke up to Slowwwww world - delays & non-responsive

Did you mean that that URL is used to set the database to the version used by the prior versions of firmware? I'm a little confused.

Ok, I probably used a wrong word for it. It's the Z-wave stack. It's just another piece of software running on the hub, nothing in that update gets flashed into a chip or anything like that.

Yup. More super secret changes that aren't listed anywhere, just like the magic platform changes.
eye roll

Yes, that is sarcasm, but it is annoying. I'll get over it - your company, your rules, your decision on what to list in release notes.

Z-wave stack should rolls back when a version gets rolled back. But it is a separate executable. If something goes wrong and it doesn't, there's a way to force it to a clean previous version without doing anything more extreme. We can't anticipate all potential issues, but we can provide a plan B once we see someone running into them.

3 Likes

Just to clarify do we think there is a bug with .153 ? I'm on a c5

Got it. Thanks.

Ta, got my threads mixed

1 Like

Slow in upstairs master bath and snappy in basement-the usual offenders, probably because they are most observed, but maybe not.

I have to troubleshoot while the delay is happening...it changes at any time.

So I had the bright idea of trying to pinpoint something or other by turning off breakers and see if that had an effect.

First one I tried was the garage sub panel. That had no effect other than opening up the doors upon power restoration

Second one I tried was for the basement lights. That got things upstairs snappy again. I'm not sure what it's telling me, but maybe I can isolate the problem to some small degree.

Woke up to 8 second delay in upstairs bath and basement. No other automations affected.

Tripped various breakers, including for those involved, outlets as well as lighting, disconnected the usb power to the zooz motions, paused an involved app, modified another involved app, REBOOT, nothing got it off the schneid.

Took down the bathroom contact sensor and removed battery. Basement started working. Reinstalled battery and sensor upstairs; that started working.

I didn't do a lot of exercising (openings and closings) of the door, which usually gets things going, because I wanted to troubleshoot. However, maybe the cumulative effect of my troubleshooting door operations got it going.

I'm also not totally sure of the sequence of battery removal...I'm pretty sure it was just the upstairs bath. It was early.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I'll focus on the sensors.

Also, I ordered 6 zigbee contact sensors at 10 bucks apiece off eBay. There's nothing definitive that Ecolink is to blame, and I do believe things started screwing up after the initial upgrade from 2.2.3, but it's only money. I like the brown plastic on the Ecolink though, and of course the external contacts, which, as I've said before, I use on the high temp alert for my wood burning insert.

I just got mine in .. I’ll let you know.. I’m hoping it’s something we can fix at the driver level and that It’s not doing something crazy.

3 Likes

Me too, lol.

let me know if you find something too. my automations were also not working as you know on 2.2.4 with ecolink contact but also motion..

I might be onto something.

After a period of no activity, which usually does it, the basement automation had an 8 second delay or so. I cycled the door twice-same duration. Took down the Ecolink sensor and removed its battery. After a couple minutes, reinstalled: back to snappy land.

I'm going to try this every time I see the delay.

Interesting.. I haven’t powered mine up yet.. Will do that tomorrow and I’ll try to replicate

2 Likes

For me, the behavior is inevitable but intermittent. Maybe you have the skills to 'zniff' something out.

3 Likes

Well, I'm 3 for 3.
Woke up to slow world. Closed upstairs bath door, 8 seconds. Opened door, still delay. Took down Ecolink door sensor, took out battery, waited a minute, reinstalled, and, voila: snappy world again.

I did not go down stairs to see if the basement was initially slow as well, but it was snappy after the above procedure.

edit: As a note, I'm on 2.2.4.156 on a C7.

I've seen this behavior as well with mine... I performed a full exclusion / inclusion with the ecolinks though, didn't just remove the battery once (though it's the same process, just doing it twice). Things got better immediately after, but didn't last. I haven't been able to spend enough time troubleshooting to see what the timeframe is until the delays returned.

With me it comes back the next day, or sometimes earlier, if there's a period of inactivity. I think inactivity is the key, where something or other gets jammed up over time. How's that for a technical evaluation?

I haven't tried doing this all of them (5) when things are slow. So far, just one has done the trick...for a while.