Zwave will ruin your life

After months of things working pretty well, my zwave network collapsed once again. This seems to be a bi-yearly thing with zwave.

I have 2 devices that I know of now that aren't working- a ge/jasco switch and a leviton lamp module. I have managed to exclude them but I can't get the damn things to add back in. They're just not re-discovered by hubitat no matter what I seem to do.

I've excluded them with hubitat, and they've disappeared. I've tried excluding them locally with a z-stick and that seems to have succeed based on blink codes, but I can't get them to be re-discovered by hubitat. Anybody have any ideas? I'm stumped once again with this ■■■■ technology. If only I could go back and replace everything with zigbee...

Are you on the latest zwave and HE firmware? There was a zwave firmware release a few weeks ago that really does seem to have helped. The upgrade is separate from the regular hub firmware updates.

Have you tried a factory reset on the devices, if one is available? I got rid of my Jasco zwave switches a while ago and went with Lutron Caseta... best move I ever made. I have a couple of Leviton appliance modules (no dimming) and they have always been OK though for some reason always very slow.

Since you already have a zwave stick and are familiar with its operation, you could try using it to include them as well.

1 Like

You could anytime you want. Sell the Z-Wave devices on ebay to recoup some/most of the cost.

Unfortunate that you are having so many issues, in any case. I have about 107 zwave devices right now, and zero issues. That doesn't help you at all though - I know.

Z-Wave is definitely a pain when it doesn't work, for whatever reason it isn't working. I feel for you!

5 Likes

Been there, did that.

3 Likes

Haha. Yeah I had zero issues too, until I didn't. That seems to be the case about twice a year.

1 Like

Hate that you are having those issues. :frowning:

1 Like

How do I do this separate z-wave firmware update @brad5 mentioned?

Check your Settings > Z-Wave Details page for a Firmware Update button at the top. If it's there, click it. If not, you're already up to date (or running a C-5 or earlier, where they aren't any at all). Be sure not to confuse this with the Update button in the top right, a different thing entirely.

See here for what you'd be looking for:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave_Details

And read more about it here if you feel so inclined:

1 Like

I wish they just forced this update on everybody. :slight_smile: (I know its not the way)

Its solved a lot of zwave issues.

3 Likes

Yeah. Rev C-7 Platform Version: 2.3.1.142 and no "firmware update" button in my z-wave setting page.

Sigh... I pulled the HE out of my wiring closet, brought it over to the kitchen and was able to include both of my missing devices and confirm that they're working. I shutdown cleanly and put it back in my wiring closet and they don't work again. Z-wave is magic! Like magic, it doesn't ■■■■■■■ work.

Here's what that check link says for my hub. Is it current? I can't tell.

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:17, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:17, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

Just a thought, but maybe something else in your wiring closet is causing 900mhz interference...

If you leave it out of your closet, and it works, it could simply be a placement or interference issue.

Just a thought. Might not be correct.

2 Likes

Well along that line as well could a device be failing causing zwave issues?

1 Like

yeah maybe. I dunno it's been in there working for a few years, and everything else works except these 2 devices.

And frankly all of the "debugging" tools for z-wave in hubitat are useless. What does repair even do? What does the little z-wave topology graph thing actually tell you?

How is it that other z-wave switches of the exact same brand and type, in the same god damn room work fine??? They're not any further from the hub.

Why aren't messages to the broken devices routed through those devices???

@bill maybe you can get a hold of that guy who makes antennae's? @lewis.heidrick I think? I remember reading he was taking haitus but maybe a well spoken beg...
Or do what I did and just go zigbee and be done. shrugs

Ah, so it is a hubitat flaw then? Weak antenna.

Post a copy of your z-wave details page. You could also maybe throw a beaming repeater outside the closet. That said depending on the setup of things you may have created a bit of a Faraday cage effect in the closet. If so then @lewis.heidrick 's antenna mod would be of big benefit to you

2 Likes

If you are moving your HE to pair them, then the mesh routes will be incorrect and of course it might not work when you put the HE back. I'm not sure how long you would need to wait for the mesh to repair its self and correct routes, but maybe a manual zwave repair would fix it?

Me too.

:man_shrugging:

Both of those are identical to any generic Zwave hub. It isn't a Hubitat tool, it is one from Zwave itself. So if you want to blame someone, blame Silabs the owner of Zwave for that and many other Zwave issues.

A repair on an individual device tells that device to go out and look for better routes back to the hub. A full repair does the same for all devices. In theory, these are not necessary for Zwave plus.

That chart tells you whether a device sees the hub, and if the hub sees a device. I can't recall which axis is which, but the more blue you see, the better. Blue indicates devices are talking to each other. [2.2.4.xxx] Help understanding "Z-Wave Topology" map

1 Like

I have 2 zwave and two ZigBee antennas remaing if you wanted me to mod the hub for you.

2 Likes