Zooz ZSE44 Temperature and Humidity sensor

I am currently testing two ZSE44 before I use them, have them both sitting on my desk with two thermometers sitting next to them to see the accuracy. At initial connection and for some time maybe a day they were showing fairly accurate temp, have had them connected for 2 weeks now, both are now showing temperatures that are 10F below actual room temp. I have one of the offsets set at +10F and in hubitat it is displaying the correct temp. Humidity is low as well but not as low about 5-6%.

Please share what you hear from Zooz

Also bought two to evaluate this last week. Noticed that the outside sensor battery in a half day of use went from 100% to 87%. At 7-1/2 days it is at 71%. While the inside sensor battery is at 100%.

Plan to remove the coin battery and replace with a pair of D cells wired in series with batteries kept inside. Or another possibility is to use a 3 VDC power wart and wire to the sensor.

Not sure how much placement has to do with overall temperature performance. Mounting on an outside home wall could effect temperature, but no hard data to confirm that point. But direct sun would seem to be a major temperature issue.

Also it would be nice, if the offsets for both temp/humidity were not fixed selection values. Perhaps a blank to enter -3.2 degrees F, etc in place of the drop down pre populated list would be a better input choice.

There is a FW update for the sensor from ver 1.10 to 1.20 but no information from the Smartest House folks in regard to what has been updated or changed.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/912-zse44-temperature-humidity-xs-sensor-change-log/

Forgot to follow up in this thread... Zooz's response was:
"The values are implemented in this fashion because due to Z-Wave protocol restrictions, some home automation platforms struggle with processing negative value input."

They didn't address why (on their Advanced Config page) they say value "0" is the default setting when value 100 = 0 offset. I suspect that was just a copy/paste error since it makes no sense to make a -10 offset value the default.

So, all in all, not a very satisfying answer. I'm hoping they revisit those parameter values and directions in the future to make them more common-sensical.

Nice find - how did you happen to hear about this? I just asked them a couple weeks ago and they said 1.1 was still current with nothing new on the horizon. But I'll submit a ticket now for 1.20...

Yeah, the non-current or just fully blank change logs for many (most?) of their products are frustrating... They've been saying for many months they are going to get better with this kind of stuff, but nothing so far.

If you're not going to make firmware downloadable from your site, then at least give us accurate & current change log info so we know when to ask for updates.

1 Like

If you get them to confirm there is a new firmware, let us know, Would be very interesting to know what has changed, if there is one.

I just don't understand why they can't post the final (non-beta) firmware somewhere their customers can get to it....

1 Like

Give this link a try for the update.

ZSE44 1.20:
https://www.getzooz.com/firmware/ZSE44_V01R20P01.zip

Tried to install using the Hubitat firmware updater but gave up after 10 minutes. i.e. no movement on the upload bar. In the past, updated one of the switches, but it was a 10 hour process. Not something that I care to repeat!!

Also tried a z-wave stick using the Silicon Labs software on the laptop. It would not go past the GET button and thus could not access the un ZIPed file to upload. Thus no luck on my end.

Let us know your success....

1 Like

Huh, yeah, my download bar is at total zilch so far too after ~10 minutes - seems stuck on "Getting Device Versions".

I think the only other Zooz thing I've had to update so far is my Z17, and that's gone smoothly each time, but it's mains powered. Battery devices are always more finicky.

I'll let it spin overnight - I'm not optimistic, but maybe magical elves will do the update while I sleep.

@gerand @hydro311 I was able to update a couple of battery powered Zooz ZSE40's with the firmware update app, after updating my C7 the new zwave firmware 7.17

I moved the devices to within about 10ft of the hub.

Timing of waking the device up is important. You have to wake it up when you select it so the app can read the info, and then right before you start the update wake it up again. Sometimes hitting the wakeup a couple of times does the trick. Once the update actually starts I just left it sit near the hub and it completed within 10-15 minutes.

If you do want to use the PC Controller for the update, you have to check the box next to the device to trick it into thinking it is a listening device. Again, you also have to manually wake it up and time it correctly.

1 Like

Yowza, I figured the wakey-button mashing was going to be a factor, but that did indeed take numerous tries to get the timing just right! I would've given up without your encouragement.

My old Aeotec humidity sensor was more forgiving with the wakeup timing when doing a f/w update, so I'll make a note-to-self that these Zooz battery devices require quick & careful coordination.

Thanks for that tip -- my update is now progressing slowly-but-steadily along here.

1 Like

Hydro - Same message "Getting Device Versions". It would seem that should be a very short data stream IMO and take seconds to access. Let us know if the elves made it work in the overnight hours.

"The values are implemented in this fashion because due to Z-Wave protocol restrictions, some home automation platforms struggle with processing negative value input."

Noticed that when using an app to set sunset and sunrise times that the field will allow for a negative number that is typed into this field. i.e. no drop down pre filled list. Maybe a different input scenario?

JPT - I place the sensor directly on the Hub and when using the z-stick right on the stick. That should remove any communication issues.

Did you find it necessary to also "exclude" the device before adding it when using the PC Controller? Did that and it then was added to the PC Controller.

However, did notice that my dashboards were missing that excluded device. Not an issue, but the second dashboard with 10 tiles all needed rechecking. i.e. the "Chose Device" list had to be rechecked as all of the previously check selections vanished.

If possible, it would be nice if switches and other Zen devices had an optical or data port on the device to directly update FW in place of using OTA.

I used a USB stick as a secondary controller for firmware updates so it is on the same mesh, so the device can stay paired that way. But yes you can also factory reset it (not exclude), pair to a USB stick, and then do a zwave replace to get it back on the mesh.

@jtp10181 -- assuming the update was successful, was there a trick to get the updated f/w value to show in your ZSE40's own Details page (in the "Data" section)?

My ZSE44 update last night was successful according to the built-in updater tool, and I've tried every type of wake-up / refresh I can find, as well as letting it sit overnight. It still shows the old f/w value on its Details page.

Did you have to exclude/reinclude? I admittedly haven't tried that yet in hopes that a simpler solution may be available...

I'm hoping that I may (once again!) be able to apply your success with your ZSE40 to my ZSE44... Thanks very much!

Its going to depend on the driver, not sure what options you have? If there is a configure or a refresh you could try that (you will have to wake it up after for it to apply). If you are using the stock driver maybe @bcopeland knows what will trigger it to refresh the firmware version.

@gerand -- I finally got the built-in HE updater tool to work last night -- as Jeff alluded, it takes a wake-up button press right before the initial device selection in the updater tool, and then another wakeup right before starting the update.

For the ZSE44, that wake-up requires hitting the button 4x quickly and watch for a blue LED flash in the lower right corner. According to the Zooz docs, that should activate/open the ZSE44's radio for 1 minute.

It's easy to not get the timing right with the quick 4-button press, so look for the blue LED flash.

In fact, I did the update twice - I missed the very end on the first attempt, so I never saw the confirmation. I watched more closely on the 2nd attempt and everything went well (according to the update tool).

But all of that hammered the heck out of my battery lol... Maybe it'll recover more today, but I lost ~60% of the battery as of right now.

Yeah those CR2032 batteries are very flaky on the reporting. Heavy use will make it dip down and then often it will slowly come back, but maybe not to the original level.

1 Like

Yeah, oddly there is no Refresh or Configure button on the device page. I'm just using the stock HE driver for the ZSE44.

My ZSE41 contact sensors are similar - no Configure / Refresh command available on the device page, so perhaps @bcopeland can shed some light on all this -- I'm pretty sure he did all the drivers for these recent Zooz ZSE4x sensors.

I seem to recall unrelated discussions in the community here about the Config / Refresh buttons not truly being applicable for battery devices so maybe the new coding trend is to just not surface them at all.

Ha, yes, right on about the batteries -- after my first update, the battery dipped hard but then surprisingly recovered rather quickly. After the 2nd update, it's stayed at the dip for ~8 hours here, but I'll let it ride and see if it recovers somewhat in a day or two.

Thanks again for your help here - it's much appreciated!

Not odd, those buttons really shouldn't be there for any (non-FLiRs) battery powered device because they don't do what you think they would on them.

You can hit refresh all day on a battery device, it still isn't going to refresh until the device wakes up. The device cannot be woken up from the hub side.
(**** Ok, so before someone points this out... FLiRs battery devices can be woken from the hub. So "some" battery devices can be woken. That doesn't apply to this device.)

And hitting configure won't do anything until the device wakes up either, so it is rather redundant with re-saving the preferences.

3 Likes

Nice - thanks! I thought it was you who said that in other discussions, but I didn't want to unnecessarily call you out if I was taking crazy pills.

"Oddly" was a bad choice of words -- I just meant to convey that (for better or worse) seeing a Refresh and/or Config button for batt devices has been more commonplace than not. Like a lab monkey, I guess I've just been effectively trained to mash those buttons when doing config changes :sweat_smile:

@JasonJoel -- any thoughts on how to get an updated firmware value to show properly on a battery device's Details page / Data section?

If I remember right that is populated when you do a version report. I haven't tried, but you may be able to switch it to the generic device driver and trigger the version report. I'm not sure that would update the data section or not though.

Maybe a @bcopeland question!

1 Like

Woot - you da man - triggering the version report worked like a champ! Another good nugget to file away in my bag o' tricks -- thanks very much!

Jason - you don't have a custom driver for the ZSE44, true? I'm using yours for the ZSE41, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on similar goodness with the 44.

Thanks again to you and Jeff for the assist on navigating this update - really appreciate it :+1:

1 Like