Zooz ZSE44 Temperature and Humidity sensor

As far as version 1.2 changes, the only thing I've noticed so far is that Parameter 1 seems unavailable. It doesn't show in the overall Param Report, and requesting a report just for it returns Param 2 info instead. :man_shrugging:

But until change log details are made available, who knows what else. When I hear back from Zooz support, I'll ask them for a change log. I'll post anything helpful here if I get it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info on the firmware update I have 4 ZSE44's. Two of them in particular, the ones furthest from the hub are often in a very busy reporting mode, draining their batteries. Otherwise I am satisfied with their general operation. I took one of them and updated it t0 1.20 thanks to your information. Am hoping the update will cut back on the very frequent reporting.

1 Like

ZSE44 firmware 1.20 update - Info supplied by the Smartest House folks

1. Adjusted the battery reporting frequency setting to be time-interval specific.

2. Adjusted the reporting for low and high temperature alerts to send a different notification to the hub.

3. Resolved a bug to allow both Celsius and Fahrenheit values to be updated.

2 Likes

Interesting.

So did they:

• Change param 1 to be time instead of %?
  • Abandon param 1 and make a new param for the reporting interval?
    • if so, what is the param # - 18?
    • What are the min/max valid setting values?
    • What is the param size?
  • Other?

This is why we need change logs...

Doesn't look like this document was updated for the changes either @agnes.zooz ....
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/853-zse44-temperature-humidity-xs-sensor-advanced-settings/

How is anyone supposed to write or update their drivers for the new firmware? Trial and error?

1 Like

I have updated 3 of my 4 ZSE44's to 1.2--the ones that were spamming my hub with very frequent reports and causing their batteries to drain. Am happy to report that so far the update has completely eliminated the frequent reporting. Once I got experienced enough to know when to wake the sensor during the update process everything went fairly smooth. It's my guess that the further the sensor is from the hub, the more likely you are to encounter the frequent report with version 1.1. The one sensor I have that is close enough to report directly to the hub never experienced the frequent reporting.

That's the exact same issue and reason multiple people had with the ZSE41 and ZSE42, so I would guess you are correct.

2 Likes

I was able to complete the update on my two ZSE 44s using the guidance included here, thanks. However, after the update, the reported firmware version didn't change. Can someone confirm if this is normal?

Sounds like if you switch to the driver called “Device” and force a version report it will update it. I don’t remember what the command button is called.

2 Likes

Has anyone got an official answer from zooz on parameter changes in this new firmware? I'm still curious about the change in battery reporting from percent to time based.

I assume they added a new parameter (18?) for this, but I'm away from my devices so can't verify.

I switched driver the Basic Z-wave Tool driver, and generated a version report from there - that report confirmed the firmware updated, and when I switched back to the regular driver, the f/w was then correct there too.

I got the exact same response from Zooz as gerand posted above - I suspect your assumption is correct, but I didn't push Zooz for more info.

Gadzooks, I wish they would update the darn change logs for all of their stuff -- it would be such a huge help (and I would think it would cut down on the amount of "what's new / changed ?" support tickets they get).

Easy way to tell might be doing a parameter report and see if something that looks like a time settings shows up ion param 18,

We're trying and hope to have everything updated within the next couple of weeks. All efforts are now focused on our knowledge base and support documentation. We released 12 products last year so we're still catching up on some of the articles. Thank you for your patience.

We removed the battery reporting threshold parameter altogether since reporting based on threshold on small capacity batteries caused a lot of false alerts. There isn't a new parameter to adjust the reporting interval, it's fixed to report every 12 hours.

There currently any other changes in the firmware that would impact a driver (other than the battery reporting parameter being removed) but feel free to reach out to me or our support with any detailed questions!

3 Likes

Perfect - that is fine with me. Thanks! I appreciate the support.

2 Likes

By the way... In my experience making a lot of custom battery powered devices, you rarely want to set reporting on battery %, as the voltage readings can be quite unstable during radio use, etc, and trigger all sorts of unexpected reports. Unless you put in some conditioning for that, but then you are just adding a bunch of hardware or software complexity for very little benefit.

Doing time based battery reporting is definitely the preferred method.

1 Like

Anyone following this thread I just posted a community driver for the ZSE44 by request:

2 Likes

Not to necro-post, but I am...

On the 9 of these I have, the battery hasn't lasted >4 months on any of them. That is with temperature reporting at 10 degrees, and humidity at 5%, reporting interval 480 min - so nothing too aggressive, as I mainly use them for the humidity reading to automate bathroom vent fans.

Signal strength is good. All running on latest firmware (1.20 at this time).

So I guess I'm a bit disappointed in battery life. So much so that I'm replacing them all with custom made lorawan ones now that should have 3-5 year battery.

Mine was setup 5/23/22 and still showing 100% battery. Are you just basing this off the batteries they came with or good replacements? I never expect a full life from the supplied (typically cheap) batteries.

Oh and here is my settings, the temp reporting is every 1 F

I've done at least 1 battery swaps on some of the devices at this point - original and good quality replacement (2 different brands).

:man_shrugging:

Could be something with my setup/mesh, I guess. All 9 are doing the exact same thing, so I don't think it is a hardware issue, per se.

No worries, I know how long my lorawan ones last, and am fine just replacing them. I'll sell the zse44 to someone else. At least they were cheap. :slight_smile:

Just curious what your reporting interval is set to? If that's low, could be the cause. But I will have to watch mine and see how long it goes just for reference. I stuck mine up in the garage just to track the temp in there.