Zooz ZSE44 Temperature and Humidity sensor

In my case - looks like there is a problem with the driver during the first day of operation mine was good aside from the constant spamming of battery life.. then on day 2 - the temp dropped about 10 degrees and has been that way since. zooz support indicated it was a driver issue that they were aware of.

My ZSE44 just stopped reporting, after 20 days of Minnesota Winter....does yours still run?

Yup, still running on the original battery with temps between 35 - 12 since install.

How are people's battery life on these? I just replaced my 1st set of batteries in my 6 - only lasted about 7 weeks before it got to 3% battery (started at 100%).

I have all of mine indoors (so no cold/low temperature issues at play), and I have most reporting settings set much SLOWER than default, too:

• Temperature threshhold (param 3) is 100 which = 10F (slower than default)
  • Humidity threshhold (param 4) is at 2% (faster than default)
  • All high/low alert reporting is disabled
  • Temperature and Humidity reporting interval (params 16 & 17) really slow at 480 min

running firmware 1.10

Any thoughts @agnes.zooz ? I submitted an email to zooz support as well.

1 Like

As above, I got around 3 weeks in Minnesota winter (around 0F in most of the time). Have ordered Panasonic batteries to see if it gets better.

Do you have yours indoors or outdoors?

1 Like

Indoors.

Just one here - installed it (indoors for bath fan) around New Years... It's now ~24%, so yeah, the battery isn't lasting as long as I'd like. Firmware 1.10 here and similar preferences setup to you.

No complaints about its performance so far, but I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been a f/w update yet for something -- a while ago, they built a change-log page but it remains empty... I figured they built that page with intent of popping an update on there, but nada so far.

We're setting up in-house testing on HE to see what results we arrive at. Do you have the sensors set up with or without security?

1 Like

Without. I'm working on getting support some logs as well.

The thing I don't know, and can't prove one way or the other, is if early on it had one of those windows where it was resending every few seconds for an extended period. Obviously that would be quite detrimental on the battery.

It's definitely not doing that right now though, and I can see the device waking up and being put to sleep as expected. Each device only sends maybe a dozen messages or so a day, so maybe this set of batteries will last longer. We'll see!

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I confirmed we've had a production sample on a Fibaro hub for 3+ months with all default settings still reporting 100% battery but we also set up a few more on different platforms including HE to see what we arrive at over the next few weeks.

1 Like

I connected a ZSE44 Sensor to a C7 hub. It enrolled properly with S2 security but was discovered as a ZEN34 remote switch. I changed the driver to the ZSE44 and it is reporting properly but the values are wrong. The temp value is about 10deg F too low and the humidity is low but not by as much. I sent an email to thesmartesthouse and they told me to stay tuned it is a driver issue with the C7. After 2 weeks my battery is still 100% so I don't have any issue with the battery draining prematurely.

Is there any reason you need to have your ZSE44 Sensor enrolled with S2 security. While that is ideal for things like a smart door lock, I do not see a significant advantage of using S2 security on a temperature/humidity sensor.

I do not know if resetting your sensor and including it without security will change the calibration issue, but it will reduce mesh traffic and prolong battery life.

I do not have the ZSE44 sensor, but I do have a Zooz 4-in-1 sensor that includes temperature. The driver has a temperature offset that you can use to bring the temperature closer to actual. That offset should be adequate if you are looking at indoor temperatures, but if you are measuring outdoor temperatures that can vary over a wide range, there might be a slope calibration issue rather than an offset issue.

Thanks for the response but I don't think you read my post or I didn't explain it very well. I wrote down my experience as another data point since I didn't see any posts with behavior like I am seeing. I have S2 enabled and NO battery issues, my battery is 100% after two weeks. I don't know that it is a calibration issue and the offset functions are not working correctly in the driver as stated above. thesmartesthouse told me it is a C7 driver issue and they would alert me when fixed but it seems like the reported issues are all over the place with this new sensor. It seems like I have to wait for more information and experimenting isn't going to accomplish very much.

You don't need to use security on any of the devices, the vulnerability of the Z-Wave network is only ever present at inclusion so the overall chance of the network being hacked is very low to start with. This is more of a future-proof feature when we may see more smart home network targeting.

Just to clarify, the driver issue with the ZSE44 is with the offset parameter implemented incorrectly so we don't recommend changing that feature at all for the sensor. As @jpalovick mentioned, we recommend waiting for the new version of the driver here.

3 Likes

If you are using lithium batteries in your sensor, the battery life will register 100% for a while, then once it begins to drop, it will plummet. That is the nature of the lithium battery discharge voltage curve. You can be reading 100% one week and then be at 0% a couple of weeks later.

Alkaline batteries have a very gradual loss of voltage over their useful life, so it is easy to predict battery life. With lithium batteries it is nearly impossible to predict useful life.

1 Like

I have 2 ZSE44 sensors installed. One inside and one outside. Both were initially reading over 10 degrees too low and offset setting did not initially make a difference. Battery levels were reporting below 30% on both. After replacing indoor battery it reported 100% and the temp offset took effect. Now seems to be operating well. Replacing outdoor battery several times still results in initial battery levels below 30% but temperature reporting offset is now working. Both initially seemed to be reporting very often but have settled down after some time and seem to be reporting per schedule. Other than outside sensor always reporting a battery level below 30% (now at 20% after new battery install yesterday), I am OK with their current performance.

Yes battery voltage is temperature dependent, no matter which battery is being used.

I have a Smartthings multisensor that I use in my deep freezer in my garage. I can put a brand new battery in the sensor, but as soon as I place it in the freezer, the battery life drops to 1%, but the sensor keeps sending data for months. The temperature is registering minus 23 degrees F, which is likely to be incorrect, but the sensor will tell me if the door is not shut tightly or the freezer malfunctions and the temperature starts to rise.

I saw the same temp offset. It went away after a few days. Go figure?

@mike.maxwell @agnes.zooz I'm seeing this error sporadically with both of my ZSE 44 sensors?

Parameters 14 and 15 have always baffled me for this device... Value "0" does not equate to zero offset for some reason. I finally just submitted a support ticket to Zooz asking why (been meaning to do that for a while).

It caught my eye again since the 2.3.1 update seems to have changed how the default HE driver interacts with those params -- pre-update, my device Preferences was at 0 offset, but it now shows -10 for both offsets.

I haven't had time yet to play around with the ZW Param tool to no-kidding verify what those params are actually set too -- I'll do that later, and I'll hopefully hear back from Zooz support in the meantime too.