Zooz ZSE44 Temperature and Humidity sensor

I'm more optimistic they wouldn't give that answer for a device that doesn't work at all though. That isn't the same as not accurate or wanting new firmware features.

I would definitely like them to add offsets. Maybe someday, the device is still new (and still marked as being 'beta' for the record - so give them some slack...).

1 Like

I actually have reached out to them and am waiting to hear back, so I admit that I was just trying in both places.

1 Like

No worries! I'm not trying to play "forum cop", just thought you might get a faster answer there. Trying both places makes sense, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I beg to differ as β€œbeta” in terms of software development means feature complete, but possible bugs or performance issues may arise. Beta is meant to test an almost ready to ship product. In the case of temperature offset, the software UI option exists, but the feature was never completed. This was more of a whoops, but I am glad they are addressing it.

However, I am willing to give slack to Zooz in a way as they are a small company and at least attempting to push boundaries and open up home automation to wider audiences.

Overall, aside from some buggy earlier products Zooz Double Plug and Multi-sensor I am looking at you two. Zooz has done a remarkable job with the products.

This reminds me to unbox and pair the two new ZSE44 I ordered to see how they do :grinning:

So a question I have on how the preferences are supposed to work with each other: My Temp and Humidity settings are set to 1 hour reporting frequency. So is the sensor supposed to report every hour no matter what (even if no change) AND when there is a change in temp/humidity above the threshold, or is it only supposed to report every hour IF there is a change in temp/humidity above the threshold?

That is definitely what it traditionally meant. Based on the last five or so years across many manufacturers, I think that word is used pretty soft/loose these days. :wink:

Agile software development of all kinds sort of destroyed the traditional use of that word.

1 Like

I know right! The world of DLC and whatnot, loosely used is right on point :joy:

1 Like

I do have a small update from the latest two temp/humidity sensors I connected. The one indoors the battery reporting is normal at an ambient temperature of ~68 F. The second unit in the garage with an ambient temperature ~36 F continues to show the fluctuation in battery reporting as shown by the unit outside in much colder temperature. Definitely cold causes battery reporting trouble even above freezing.

I see the same thing on my two XS tilt sensors on my garage doors. The battery reporting is all over the place.

So my 2 working ZSE44s have had lot of time to "settle in" and they are both reporting humidity 13-14% lower than the Zooz 4-in-1 sensors that I've had paired for a year+ that are sitting directly beside them (and in both cases, there is a non-zooz humidity gauge nearby that agrees to the 4-in-1 within 2%.

Since the humidity offset doesn't work in the driver, it's kind of annoying. Even with the offset working, that's still a pretty drastic difference. Anyone else noticing similar behavior? Seems like a firmware problem in addition to the driver issue.

I had to adjust the humidity offset on 1 of my 8 sensors. The parameter does seem to work as on the next update the value shifted - so I'm not sure that I agree it is a firmware issue. In my case I edited the parameter directly, I didn't do it in the hubitat driver. As the driver isn't open source I have no idea what it does when you change that setting so can't comment on it being a driver issue or not.

The way parameter 15 works is 0 = -10% adjustment, 100=0% adjustment (the default), 200=+10% adjustment. If the value in the offset parameter is 0, well then you are offsetting it by -10% which could be part of/the issue. Might want to check the value in the parameter 15 using the Basic Zwave Tool driver.

All that said, the reading being that far off (assuming the current offset is 0%) may indicate the devices are just defective and need to be sent back.

2 Likes

Wow, I'm really normally not so flaky. Thanks - should have checked that first. Odd that the default was set to 0 for the sensors - I had never changed them and that's where they were.

1 Like

Maybe not the right place for this but I did read some posts relating to the ZSE43 Tilt shock sensor above. Have you folks noticed the shock is not working while the sensor is in the horizontal position? I open my Overhead door I get both shock and open as soon as it moves and tilts the top section of the door, like it should. Now, when in the full open position (the sensor is horizontal) I press close and there is no shock event until the sensor is vertical again, almost closed. Is it supposed to be this way? @agnes.zooz I wanted to use the shock event to signal the door is moving.

Yes I noticed the same, was thinking at first this would work for other applications, but when realizing it only triggers on certain directions it was relegated to the garage door for me.

Hmmm further to this, The sensor ZSE43 is not recognized as an acceleration sensor by Hubitat? @bcopeland , could this be changed?

Do you meant that if it lays on the table, it doesn't report vibration events for you? Or have you only tested it when mounted on the garage door so far?

Hi Agnes @agnes.zooz ,

I did do some bench testing, but at that time I just moved it open and closed, and never thought to look at the vibration. It's when I was testing it on the garage door I noticed this because I wanted a signal to know that the door started closing, and the only way to do that is by vibration when the door starts to travel from the full open position. So, when the sensor is flat (data sticker is pointing upwards) I can shake, rattle and move the garage door/sensor and no vibration is detected.

We'll try to replicate that and I'll send you an update.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks @agnes.zooz

1 Like