Zooz Zen32 Scene Controller

My ZWave Scene Controller budget is spent so no more money left for when the Inovelli version is released. :slight_smile:

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing some of this with their ZEN32…

I am trying to use the LED colors as mode indicators. So all of them would wear the same color to indicate Hubitat's mode. LEDs on/off would indicate whether specific scenes in that room are on/off. In working this out I just now started the first step which is to program the mode and color changes. The Rule actions for this are really simple.

However I am seeing lots of confused results where many times one or two LEDs do not behave correctly. I'm confident that this has something to do with overwhelming bus traffic during these transition times. Is it possible to change all the LED colors in one go with one command instead of five for each device? I see 10 log entries which is a lot.

Also I see something specifically strange with the relay LED. When I change its color, no matter what the relay state, it switches back to green. This occurs within a rule even if I only set the relay LED color and do not interact with any of the other LEDs. Physical control of the relay is disabled on both of my devices and the relays are off on both devices. But nonetheless the relay LED switches back to green.

This is mentioned as an issue in the firmware early in this thread. See post 51 & 53 above.

I haven't tried to group the LEDs but, instead, put a 250ms delay between each command just in case. I use the LEDs at switch to door to backyard to indicate if my alarm is armed or not so delay is not critical. It has already stopped me from opening the door and setting off alarm twice in 2 weeks so good for the WAF.

I see that Smartest House has the Zen32's back in stock and no longer have a 'beta' tag on them. @agnes.zooz, are these the same firmware as the earlier BETA ones, or do they have new firmware? Wondering if I need to update the firmware on the one I bought when they were in beta, thanks!

1 Like

They still have the same firmware. We didn't see any major issues with the devices except a small LED indicator bug that will be addressed in the next release which is planned for next week. So unless you're missing any particular functionality, you don't need to update the firmware.

2 Likes

This is a firmware bug we're addressing in a new firmware that should be released early next week.

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed that they are pretty chatty. This is from pushing the main button (Button #5) one time:

Also, I use buttons 1-4 to control other devices so I setup Node Red Flows to change the respective LED to match that device. That greatly adds to chattiness. I haven't noticed an issue..... yet.

I just received FW v10.0 for the Zen32 today and it still contains this flashing of button 5 led bug. Was I not sent the latest version?

I think I also replied to you in another thread, but it sounds like you're not referring to the "green LED" bug in the smart bulb mode but a different type of behavior here, correct?

@agnes.zooz Has this made it into the firmware yet?

Yes it has! Since it's a new parameter setting added, you'll need to use the basic parameter tool to change it though.

1 Like

Do you have the parameter list and what is the latest firmware?

I simply want the lights on the buttons to turn on if a scene is on, or off, if a scene is off. This seems overly complicated to do a simple thing. I must be doing something wrong.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/608-zen32-scene-controller-advanced-settings/

Lastest firmware as of last week when I asked was 10.0; not sure if this is different than the 1.02 settings or not.

Since the scene could be triggered from something other than the button I think the only way to keep it sync with the scene would be to use rules. Unfortunately when you change the LED parameters it will cause the larger button LED to flash every time. You could also do something like green for on and red for off.

You might also be able to set the indicator mode to setting 1 for each button (on when on, off when off). But if the scene gets triggered from somewhere else it would become out of sync. Would have to check if the buttons will change the on/off status of the LED based on a zwave command or not, since they really dont have an on/off state. Might be something that could be added to the driver and triggered from a rule. This would possibly avoid the flashing as you would not be changing a parameter. Either way you will need a rule to keep the scene in sync with the button.

I use this rule for setting LED colors and brightness on the ZEN32 based on the status of a virtual switch.
You could add the virtual switch to your scene and use it to track the on/off status which in turn triggers this rule to change LED.

Interesting approach. The Pause in the rule and waiting for the off state seems like it would eat up resources. I simply run the rule on change of scene state.

What I would prefer to have is simply a driver that changes the led color without button 5 flashing to acknowledge the change.

Out of the box, the Zen32 does exactly what I want. It seems that it is turning on or off a zwave scene. And the led changes to on or off based on that.
I think the hubitat driver is the actual issue. It likely needs child devices (perhaps a rgb light with only the available colors as a selection?). This would be tied to the zwave scene from the zen32 for each button/led.
Then, you could run a rule based on the rgb bulb state (on or off) and even change its state from other. Rules.
I’m no where near qualified to make such a driver, perhaps someone reading this is?

Yeah the pause lines reference another rule in a complex and isn’t required for the core setLED commands.
I think the main LED flashing and staying green is a function of the device firmware, not necessarily a driver function. Could be wrong though. I too would like to see that particular behavior eliminated; I want full control, please and thank you :slight_smile:

I believe I have mentioned this before, but the flashing of the button 5 LED is part of the firmware, any time you change any of the parameters. There is no other way to manually change the LED color or state without changing the parameter.

The only big IF I mentioned would be if the parameter is set to value 1, and the endpoint for the button would change the LED status based on a command telling it to turn on/off. This only would get the on/off state of the LED to change, not the color.

What is the actual issue?

• Cant make the LEDs do what you want?
  • Its too complicated to make them do what you want?
  • LED flashes when you change the color or state of the LED manually?

@jtp10181, the real issue is that it’s a bit overwhelming to make the led’s change. And even tying the buttons to a rule (I can do it, and make it work).

It’s seems that out of the box, the buttons turn the led on and off with each press. I want that. But, as soon as I activate a rule, the led stays on or off.

As I understand, out of the box, the buttons toggle a zwave central scene. And the led alternates on or off based on the central scene. I simply want that, and to tie the zwave central scene, to a simple on or off button, perhaps a bulb device, that you can set the color.

I want simple. I figure, someone in the community is skilled enough to make a driver that can do this? I’m submitting the challenge, to those willing to take it on.