Zooz ZEN22 and ZEN30 stopped working for no reason

Hmm... I think that can cause issues too. Can you pair it with none and see how it runs?

1 Like

Done. Now to wait 24 hours and see what happens :smirk:

1 Like

Let us know!

I have my ZEN21 Hallway light switch paired to C7 with no security. In the mornings, the switch takes a little longer period for it to turn on to the motion detectors on the C7. But during the day, the switch reaction time improves slightly. The C7 has some interesting quirks with Zooz Z-Wave devices.

Can you direct me to where I can get more info on this. I have used secondary controller (on ST) before but I am confused how I get a device from it to Hubitat.

you will need a secondary z-wave stick to pair with.

1 Like
1 Like

Worked like a charm all day yesterday and then this morning......

06:27:00 - HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.open
06:27:18 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.on
06:27:22 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.closed
06:29:22 - 	Garage.Light.Off.Event
06:29:22 - HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.off
06:31:05 - HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.open
06:31:42 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.on
06:31:45 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.closed
06:33:45 - 	Garage.Light.Off.Event
06:33:45 - HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.off
06:36:14 - HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.open
06:37:04 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.on
06:37:09 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.closed
06:39:09 - 	Garage.Light.Off.Event
06:39:09 - HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.off
07:25:05 - HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.open
07:26:04 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.on
07:26:10 - 	HE.Garage/Foyer Door Sensor Ecolink.contact.closed
07:28:10 - 	Garage.Light.Off.Event
07:28:10 - HE.Garage/Foyer Switch.switch.off

Without going into details of all the debugging I went through, I found the problem had nothing to do with the Zen21 switch at all. The problem was related to the Ecolink Contact sensor. After an open/close event of this device ANY zwave device on my network took forever to come on/off for anywhere from 15-60+ seconds after the open/close event. Anything after that period and all my zwave devices worked perfectly until the Ecolink contact opened/closed.

I replaced the contact with an old AEON door/window sensor and now I wait another 24 hours to see how well this setup continues.

UPDATE: Yup, seems there are issues with Ecolink Sensors

I just pulled the airgap and fiddled with it and today it is working for no apparent reason.

Problem solved!

Thanks for the suggestions.

:grinning:

There is a known but in the Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor driver in 2.2.4 that presents with this kind of behavior (it will be fixed in 2.2.5 release).

1 Like

So I just had this happen as well and I did the airgap trick with excellent results. Wife is very happy and I don’t have to replace the original toggle switch (:rofl::rofl:).

What would cause the need to use the air gap at all?

This just saved me a ton of hassle on a Zen22 this evening. It turned on as expected, but then turned itself off about 1 second later. Didn't matter if it was controlled via the paddle, 3-way switch, or digitally through HE. I needed to keep the air gap open longer, though. My first try was about 5 seconds, which did not work. Then I left it open for about 10 minutes while doing other tasks, which seems to have done the trick.

1 Like

Uh oh! Second time that I had to execute this trick in 1 week. Both seem to have been related to physically turning on. It is a rara occurrence. Not good when the wife asks you WTF is going on while she is trying to clean a doggie accident and the light keeps turning off.
Two strikes. Not looking long for this world.

Lutron Caseta because they're tanks and always just work

If I were starting all over again I think that I would just get Caseta dimmers. They cost more but the struggle would be less.

And yet, based on recent posts on the topic, there may be a good possibility that all of our struggles would go away with an external antenna on the HE. I will leave this debate to others.

Lutron Caseta Smart Home Dimmer Switch with Wallplate, Works with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, and the Google Assistant | for LED Light Bulbs, Incandescent Bulbs and Halogen Bulbs | PDW-6WCL-WH-A | White

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SJJBTYY/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Caseta-Smart-Dimmer-Switch-150W-LED-600W-Incandescent-for-Wall-and-Ceiling-Lights-White-PD-6WCL-WH-R/206828225

You can get the combo switch, pico and plate for 69.00 at home depot

I love Lutron, but the Caséta aesthetic and button layout is a non-started for our household.

With great humility, I admit that my issue was seemingly related to rules that I set up for this dimmer. After replacing it, similar symptoms started with the new dimmer. I paused the rule and everything worked as expected. A few tweaks later and all seems good.
All apologies to the Zooz crew. This was entirely my fault.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.