Why would an action become very slow?

I created the 'Simple Automation Rule' that turns the light on/off. I get the same delay. I can confirm that when I use the dashboard (from the phone or the computer) I get instantaneous response.

I think you have done some really good troubleshooting. The only problem is that you seem to have eliminated all the potential causes... but obviously there must be something that we are missing since you are still seeing a delay when the switch is triggered by the rule.

Tagging @bobbyD in case there is something that he can see that I can’t.

1. Hub Issue - Rebooting, unplugging the hub to move it and finally restoring the backup would have dealt with this.
  2. Rule Issue - The message goes to your phone immediately where the switch is delayed. You also re-created the rule in RM and then created it in Simple Rule and are getting the same result. It is a very simple rule, so there should be no issue there.
  3. Driver Issue - I assume the driver is okay since it works with the Dashboard. Could you confirm which one you are using, just in case? When you toggle the switch via the device page, does it react immediately and does the status update as soon as it changes? (I expect it does since it reacts immediately with the dashboard...)
  4. Z-Wave Issue - When you toggle the switch via the app, it toggles immediately, so the Z-Wave signal should be good... Typically, to resolve Z-Wave issues, the hub is shut down and unplugged at the wall outlet and left to rest for a couple minutes before powering it back on. Moving the hub would have accomplished this...
  5. Switch issue - When you toggle the switch, it reacts immediately.

I am stumped... Though extremely curious as to what we are missing!

1 Like

Just to blow my last thought out of the water, I changed the switch driver from GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switch to Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch to see if I could pin it to the driver. No luck. Same delay. Unless the driver code is actually the same, that would rule out the driver.

It is interesting that it is consistent across switches and rules. That seems to point to driver. Also, it worked like a charm for almost a year and only recently started this. The only difference on my system are changes introduced through hub updates. No new smart devices, no changes to rules (other than now for troubleshooting).

My experience is that the tougher it is to figure out, the simpler the cause turns out to be. Something dumb usually, but I have to admit that I am running out of ideas for how to narrow down the possible cause.

I do appreciate your help on this though.

1 Like

Do you know how to revert to a previous version of the hub? That would eliminate or confirm this one...

1 Like

Could you please share the make and model of your devices? Sorry if you did and I missed it.

1 Like

The switches are all GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Smart Switches. I think the model number is ZW4009.

BINGO! So, rolled back to 2.2.3.118. That was the oldest version available. When I first tried it, the light did not come on at all. When I went to look at the rule (I am using the simple automation rule that we introduced) it gave a message that there was an unexepected error. I assume there are changes in the two platforms that caused the rule to become invalid. I deleted the rule and re-added it. The light now works instantaneously as it had before.

For completeness sake, I will update to the current platform again to see if the problem reappears and then roll back so that I can replicate. That will confirm that it is in the platform, but doesn't narrow it down at all. I will post my results from my test shortly.

3 Likes

I suspect you will find that it doesn’t work on the latest version. @bobbyD has confirmed to me that it is a known issue and that it should be fixed in 2.2.5.

Yep, 2.2.4.158 causes the problem to return. Thanks for your help on this. I will roll back and hang tight until 2.2.5 comes out.

2 Likes

I am curious, having gone through the debugging, is the cause (or at least the area) known?

1 Like

Yes, see the following link:

1 Like

Yep, that does the trick. I switched the driver to the Ring Alarm driver instead of the Generic Z-Wave Contact Switch and all is well with the 2.2.4.158 platform. You and I were headed the right way with drivers, but I would not have gone with the contact switch driver. I was thinking the light switch. It still doesn't quite make sense to me given the log output, but clearly smarter people than I figured it out.

Thanks for hanging in with me on this to get to a solution.

3 Likes

I’m glad it was fixed! :grinning:

2 Likes

I have the exact same thing happening, except my Z-wave sluggishness is only about ¼ of the time and long preceded 2.2.4.xxx. In my rule, to test, I added a Zigbee device and another Z-wave device: The Zigbee was always immediate and the 2nd Z-wave corresponded to the first Z-wave device (a Zooz Zen24 Z-wave Plus, but the device doesn't seem to matter) responsiveness.

I sent a support request with logs to HE and another one a week later. That was mid-December. I gave up and replaced my Z-wave switch with a Caseta.

That sounds like a Z-Wave mesh issue. What hub version do you have, a C-5 or a C-7? Have you checked Z-Wave details to see if there are devices with issues (or Ghost devices)?

I had the same thing on a C5 running 2.2.3 and 2.2.4. I kept thinking it was mesh (because it sure acts like a mesh issue) but it wasn't. It was the HE generic zwave contact sensor driver.

I have quite a few goControl zwave contact sensors. As soon as I switched to a ported Smartthings driver for these sensors my zwave delays went away.

I recently ran into another user that had this issue with the goControl contact sensors too.

What type of contact sensors do you have?

1 Like

Thanks @Sebastien. It's a C-3. I don't see any ghost Z-wave devices.

Interesting. No goControls. I think the only Z-wave contact sensor is an Econet garage door tilt switch. How would I diagnose this?

1 Like

Is this an Ecolink garage door tilt sensor? There are a few threads with issues with the Ecolink and other battery contact sensors causing issues. You can search this forum for them. The batteries in these contact sensors can cause havoc with the mesh. The recommended temporary solution is to change the driver for the Ecolink sensor to Ring Alarm contact sensor.....Not the G2 one. There is a fix for this supposedly coming out in 2.2.5. I have one of these Ecolink sensors and I did change the driver to the Ring Alarm contact sensor without any problems. This seemed to help.

3 Likes

Wow, I wish I saw this post before going through hours of debugging my Zen21 switch. I came to the same conclusion. Switch good, Ecolink Sensor bad.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.