Zooz Zen17 relay

Well, guys, I did some reading and this is what I came up with. I'll test it, but does this make sense? Does it appear I got it?

Updated 10/15, after getting some sleep :grinning:

Hi Christopher, you fridge sensor rule is headed in the right direction. I think that my original reply to you was as clear as mud, so instead I have created a new post further down this thread that I think will make it clearer. Leaving the old post here in case it provided any value for you.

Marc

• When you create (or edit) the 2 delayed actions, you will want to turn on the option that marks it as "cancelable". (See screen shot) My understanding is that if you don't do this, the "Cancel delayed actions" won't achieve the outcome you are looking for.
  • My approach is to unconditionally issue the "cancel delayed actions" as the first statement in the action. This way, any time this rule is triggered by an event, it will be the only instance of the rule running and you don't have to worry about what the impact might be of other instances that might be waiting in the background on a "delay". In an ideal world this should not be necessary, but I can think of scenarios that could result in 2 "On" events arriving in succession without an "Off" event in between. If you take this approach, you no longer need the "cancel delayed actions" in the else section of your if-then-else.
  • I believe you need to add an "off Announce-FridgeOpen" statement in the else section of your if-then-else.

Hope this helps!

Marc

Toggling the "Cancelable?" switch circled in red below....

results in the action looking like this:

1. List item
1 Like

Hi Christopher, here is my feedback on the kitchen motion rule;

• You can use a "Predicate condition" (see screenshot below) to limit the rule to only running during the timeframe you want. When a rule has a predicate condition, the rule is only eligible to run if the condition is true.
  • As per my feedback on your "Fridge door sensor" rule, I would do a "cancel delayed actions
    as the very first thing when the rule runs.
  • I haven't used the timeout on a "wait for event" rule, but if it has the option to mark it as "Cancelable", you should do so.

Marc

1 Like

@mychristopher, I took a few minutes and created the rule that I would have used to handle your fridge example.

The "Cancel timed actions" at the top of the rule ensures that only 1 instance of the rule will ever be running at a time.

The announcement starts after 3 minutes and will not end until the fridge is closed.

Hope this helps!

Marc

1 Like

Thank you. Now I know I'm not the only one. I received mine last night and use the Basic Z-Wave Tools to set parameters 6 and 8 to auto shut off the relay (and parameters 15 and 17 to change the duration to seconds), however, I can't get it to work. The only thing I can guess is it is something in the driver. I'm using firmware version 1.03.

As a temp fix I created a basic rule to turn the relay off after one second, but I prefer it to be performed at the hardware level.

AFAIK, 1.04 is the latest firmware for the Z17 - I'm not sure if that has anything directly to do with the params not sticking, but may be nice to get overall.

I was able to get those parameters to stick via the Basic Z-Wave Tool, but I can't recall the exact step sequence I used... I don't use that tool enough to be fluent, so I end up doing a lot of trial-&-error each time I use it. But I somehow did successfully get that auto-off set up for 1 second.

After all that effort, I ended up using the Zooz Garage Door app to get a nice-looking tile for the dashboard, and that app has a relay auto-off option built into it to (can be enabled or disabled), so if you can't get those params to stick, that's another option to consider.

Though that Zooz Garge Door app is written for the Z16, it works great for the Z17 too.

Good luck!

1 Like

@hydro311, Thanks! I will look into that. I also sent an email to Zooz.

From looking at the log while using the Basic Z-Wave Tool everything looks good. Same when I request the parameter information from the device. I've tried rebooting the hub and power cycling the device several times. I have created a rule for the relay to auto open after one second, but things like this make me wonder.

Hi all, just wired mine up to 2x garage doors and reed switches. Everything seems to work fine when I manually trigger from the HE Device UI (doors open and close, sensors read correct values) but am struggling to connect this to dashboard UI. From what I've worked out the general strategy is to create a virtual garage door device for each physical door, then use rules to connect the virtual device to the Zen17 I/O.

Which virtual device are people using? The built in "Virtual Garage Door Controller" or something else?

I use the Zooz GDO app I mentioned 2 posts up.

1 Like

This thread was a big help in getting the ZEN17 setup for a Genie Pro 1024 garage door opener, which has a wall switch with a light button. Much thanks!

These posts were especially helpful:

I am using the Hubitat C7 hub, the Genie Pro 1024 garage door opener, and a TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO tilt sensor with the ZEN17

Here are the steps I followed from the other posts here, in case it helps:

1. I requested firmware v1.04 from Zooz (it arrived with v1.02).
  2. Updated the firmware ,gbl file over-the-air (OTA) with the Hubitat Device Firmware Updater app.
  3. I connected the wall switch wires to the ZEN17's NO C R1 contacts, and then an additional wire from there to the garage door opener, just like the picture from @mebejedi's post and described in step 1 of the ZEN16 article "How to Use the ZEN16 MultiRelay as a Garage Door Opener on Hubitat".
  4. I followed step 3 in "How to Use the ZEN16 MultiRelay as a Garage Door Opener on Hubitat" to set up the custom driver, parent and child application code.
  5. Using those apps and driver, I created a new Garage Door device and selected the TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO for an open close sensor.

Everything is working well so far! Thanks again for sharing info here. The instructions included with the Zen17 weren't enough for me to figure it out.

4 Likes

Thanks hydro311 and heuser321! I got it all working. My problem was I was coming at it from a garage door POV and working back to Zen17 instead of starting at Zen17 and working towards garage door if that makes sense.

1 Like

@neonturbo @SteveZed this was finally added in 1.10 release.
@bcopeland would it be possible to add parameters 19 and 20 to the driver?

3 Likes

@bcopeland Sorry to bug you again about this, but iif you are going to take another look at this driver, enabling the on/of timer parameters for this device like you did for its predecessor (the Zen16) would be a request as well! Parameters 6/7/8/9/15/16/17/18

4 Likes

Yes please, with all these parameters it is harder than it should be to get this device configured correctly.

Cool, thanks!

2 Likes

@agnes.zooz , thanks for not forgetting about this. Are there any other firmware changes? The Change Log is not yet posted for this firmware version.

Thanks,
Steve

2 Likes

@agnes.zooz, my Zen17 is on version 1.04 of the firmware; hardware revision 1.

I don't need the ability to reverse sensors in the software, and would rather not deal with an upgrade if not necessary. Is there any other reason to consider upgrading the firmware? ie, Any other changes / fixes that are important for device reliability?

I ask because every once in a while my garage door behaves as if it has received a second signal from the relay. If closing, it will suddenly auto-reverse; if opening it will suddenly stop. This is very infrequent. It might be caused by the Zen17 processing the same message twice; it might also be a sign that my garage door needs adjusting.

Thanks!

Marc

2 Likes

Occasionally see the same symptoms with the same firmware version. Following.

I went ahead and updated to 1.10 so I'll report back if it improves things on the garage door front. I'll give it a couple weeks or so.

According to Zooz support:

Firmware update 1.10 adds the ability to control open/close reports, as well as resolved a power outage bug, where the status on the inputs wasn't updated when changed during a power outage.

Where did you see this fw 1.10? On Zooz website 1.04 is the latest.
https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/727-zen17-universal-relay-change-log/