Zooz Zen17 relay

OK. Waiting patiently and hoping it's really resolved.

Wiring question with the Zen17.

So currently I have it powered with a 5v 1amp power adapter using USBC. Then i have a toggle switch attached to Relay 1 input terminals, and the fireplace power connection to No an C for Relay 1. This is working fine except for the occasional issue mentioned above. Last few times i tried it, it seems to be fine.

The next thing I am wondering about is hooking up some fans to the Zen17 that are powered from 12v. My question unlike what i did on relay 1 where i didn't need to supply power to any device, How would i wire in power and use relay 2 to supply the power to the fans. The documentation throws a bunch of red flags about not using multiple power sources.

The multiple power source red flags are related to powering the Zen17 device itself. USB C port or the wiring power port but not both at once.

You can simply wire the 12v + side of your power to the 2nd relay's C post and the fan's side of the 12v + to the NO post to control your fan. Like any other normal relay implementation.

1 Like

Hi all,

My Fortrezz MIMO2+ died and I was replacing it with a Zen17. On the MIMO there's a setting for a momentary on/off on the device. However on the Zen I can't find one on the parent or component. My desired use is just for a button on the dashboard to close a dry contact, nothing crazy.

I'm sure I can write a rule but it seemed like perhaps I was missing something obvious...

Is there a better way to be doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Parameters 6/8 and 15/17 enable you to set an auto-off for the relays so that the relay actuation mimics momentary on/off behavior. Unfortunately, these parameters aren't currently exposed using the default driver.

You can use the "Basic z-wave tool" driver to access those (and other) parameters though, and it works well. I did that for my relay so that it mimics the garage door opener button.

3 Likes

Hopefully at some point they will add these as exposed parameters. Bryan seemed to imply that he would work on it when I asked this same question recently at about post 135 or so. :arrow_up:

But for now, the Basic Zwave Tool works OK to set these parameters as @hydro311 listed. Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

3 Likes

@hydro311 @neonturbo

Ah yes parameters, thank you! Completely forgot to think about that.

I've gone ahead and set them to what should turn off after 1 second of being on, but I'm not getting the expected behavior. The relays just turn on, NOT on then off after 1 second.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks again!

Huh, those parameters look correctly set up to me, so I'm not sure... Are any other rules that previously controlled on/off behavior disabled for certain (to ensure nothing is "clashing")?

I use a 2-second delay for my auto-off, but 1" should be no problem too.

Brand new device, so no rules yet. I went as far as to delete and re-add just to make sure.

I had tried 2 seconds as well and had the same thing.

Hmm...

Are you on firmware 1.04 for the Z17?

Looks like I'm on 1.03, guess I'll give the new fw a try. Thanks @hydro311 !

1 Like

Make sure you join without security before you try the firmware upgrade. I had a heck of a time teying to upgrade it with S2.

3 Likes

I just received a Zen17.

1. Is there a reason why the "10 - Dry Contact" selection does not create child devices that can register as on/off sensors? I don't see any way to use the 2 "dry contacts" as designed.

2. What is the latest firmware I should have and where can I get it if it's > 1.03?

Maybe @agnes.zooz or @bcopeland can chime in.

Thanks.

Not sure about #1 since I'm using "7" for my magentic reed contact sensors.

For #2, 1.04 is latest firmware - email them here and ask for 1.04... They are usually quick to respond and will send a compatible update file.

Recommend doing to f/w update with the Z17 paired as no security - doing it w/ S2 has caused issues for some (mine updated fine with no security). If you want to use S2, I'd do that after the f/w update.

1 Like

I have the parent Zen17 set as follows:

That created 2 contact sensors.

I have 1 hooked up to a relay that closes when my furnace fan is running.
I have 2 hooked up to a relay that closes when my house smoke alarms go off
I have relay 1 hooked up to apply power to turn ON my house smoke alarms when closed.
Relay 2 is unused

Sensors 1 & 2 are hooked up to the S and neighboring C contacts.

When the furnace fan was running, I measured 0 ohms between S&C for #1. With the smoke alarms NOT activated, I measured very high resistance between S&C for #2.

However, the Sensor 1 & 2 BOTH showed "closed".

I am totally dumbfounded, though, because (after a bit) the sensor 2 child device started aligning with the fan (Open=Off, Closed=On)--even though it was connected to S1.

And, NOTHING seems to make the other sensor device trigger.

So--I pulled the power on the Zen17 and plugged it back in.

Poof--started working as expected. Odd.

I ended up calling the sensors "Contact Sensors" even though I'd have preferred to call them "Switches" so they'd use "on/off" instead of "closed/open"--but things work (and it is really hard to change those now!).

Glad it started working after power pull!

Mine is working as hoped now too, but I look forward to continued enhancements from Zooz and hopefully even the standard driver from Hubitat -- if more features can be added and more of the currently hidden parameters could be exposed by the driver, that could drive more adoption in the long run.

Here's the Z17 firmware release page - I should've linked to this in my earlier post, since this page has info about f/w requests too.

1 Like

Trying to update to 1.04 and it seems from what I'm reading you have to create a ticket to request 1.04...

Does someone know if this is posted on the Zooz somewhere that I haven't seen already ( Z17 firmware release page )

Zooz doesn't post firmware on their site for download - you have to request it from their support team.

2 Likes

Hi, I'm going to order a ZEN17 shortly for my garage door and after many of the posts on this thread, I have a question.

As suggested in a couple of posts, I plan to use a reed switch connected to the ZEN17 to track weather the door is open or closed. I found this reed switch on e-bay for $10 shipped -- does this look like something that will work? Other suggestions of where to buy one are welcomed, thanks!

Marc