Zigbee pairing issues C8, 2.3.5.103

I'm unable to successfully pair Iris motion sensors, Hue motion sensors, NYCE motion sensors (some not all), Sinope load controller. All on C8, 2.3.5.103. Note that my Iris plugs have worked with no problems, including after all the steps mentioned below.

I've tried: restarting the hub, restarting the radio, changing the channel, and I've even reset the Zigbee radio. If the devices have a reset function then those were activated. Note that I originally did a C7-C8 migration that included the radios.

Some devices appear to pair as the pairing screen indicates successfully finding previously paired devices. Sometimes I don't even get that message. Some devices seem to partially function (reporting temp, but not motion), others don't function at all. Some work for a while and then stop. Sometimes repeated pairing has gotten them to join, at least temporarily.

Yeah, a few of us have experienced that lately -- hopefully @support_team is looking into the underlying causes...

C8 Zigbee Pairing Problem - :bellhop_bell: Get Help / Devices - Hubitat

1 Like

@bobbyD fine to merge with linked topic above.

They should work, a YMMV thing going on that it's inconsistent. - earlier today I paired two Hue outdoor motion sensors and they are reporting, paired a Visonic contact sensor, and an Iris v2 motion sensor. All paired normally and are reporting.

I've been trying to break my production hub today by pairing new devices and removing and repairing devices and cannot replicate these issues. That doesn't mean our engineers aren't investigating, but the problem may be individual health mesh related.

Agreed :slight_smile:

1 Like

At some point could it be useful to induce a Zigbee panic to see if devices can work out neighbors and find updated routes?

FWIW I did notice that I had to reboot my SonOff USB zigbee repeaters, they weren't playing nice until they got rebooted. Appear to be fine since.

1 Like

That is what powering off the hub for 30 min does.

Yup - apologies if I didn't see, was that already tried?

To close this out: a 30 minute shut down did not work. What worked was to reset the radio again. Everything seems to be working now.

1 Like

So the second Zigbee radio reset resolved things. Did you do another restore from an existing hub, or were you starting from scratch w/the new C-8 and not migrating from another hub?

The series of events started with a successful migration from a C7. My Z-Wave mesh sucked on the C7 and I was hoping that the migration would make it better. It probably did (most devices went to direct associations), but the topology map didn't improve even after a couple nights. So I thought what the heck, I'll just redo both the radios. Most of my devices are Lutron, so the manageable number of Z devices won't be a huge deal. So I then re-set both radios. The Z-Wave reset and swapping went fine. The Zigbee didn't. But now it's all OK.

1 Like

Thanks for the details, makes more sense now. :slight_smile:

I think the best advice I've heard here is the old "if things are working, don't worry about the man behind the curtain" (e.g., Z-Wave Details page/routing, topology stuff). :slight_smile:

1 Like

For sure, but there were some odd, infrequent not working Z-Wave issues on the C7. All the Z-Wave stuff is mains powered and fairly close together. The Zigbee radio issues are a head scratcher, I've done a re-pair in place before with no issues. Not sure if the radio migration from C7 was an issue or not.

1 Like

@bill.d
Are you recommending then if there is difficulty in pairing to the new c-8,(ZigBee) just resetting the radio twice?

It worked for me, YMMV. My second reset consisted of: 1) reset Zigbee radio, 2) reboot the hub, 3) a 30 minute shut down. Not sure if all that was necessary. Pairing worked after that for me.

1 Like

I don't think we have any clear evidence that two Zigbee radio resets are generally required/recommended for Zigbee pairing issues after migration to the C-8. A YMMV situation where some people may find problems resolved by a reset, others might require more tries, but I'd expect that to be the exception. A reset should pretty much have the same results the first time and the nth time, and it probably matters more what you do (and in what order) after the reset.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.