Zigbee or Zwave UK Blinds

Having some frustration trying to find UK blind motors that will fit UK blinds and then work with the,

Firstly All the blinds in my house have a tube with a 30mm inside diameter. I cannot find a motor that fits. I have bought some and they are either too big or too small. Then If I go to sellers of blinds, they with cost an arm and a leg.
So has anyone found some reasonably priced motors?

I think this thread is my only hope but then I think I have to replace the complete blind.... 12 eventually.

are Somfy blinds all made the same?

I’m hoping I can use the new Ikea smart blinds in some way, although my windows are far bigger than their largest size.

Not going to help you here but for information I have a SilentGliss motorised curtain pole that I have hooked up to a Fibaro switch. I then use RM to automate it.

1 Like

I'm waiting for them too.

To do my bay window, I had quotes of £1k and it ain't that big! - NO way I'm paying that
I too am looking for 'tube' motors that I can connect.
It it comes with a remote then I'll hack into that. (If I can't connect directly)
I only want full up in the morning... full down in the evening.

Roy, as soon as Ikea has them I'll buy a small one and look at hacking it.
Ikea have sizes that are no good for me but I'm hoping to use my existing blinds and use the Ikea motors.

Andy

1 Like

Hate having a bay window :frowning:

The main window is 2.3mtr, and then two 80cm sides at around 130 degree angle. Plus not much in the way of woodwork in between. I've looked at it so many times, and its the one thing that's stopping me going all out on all windows, the rest are standard windows, although large. I think the smallest is 190cm width.

That was my idea too, buy one and see what could be achieved, I don't mind having to recharge the battery either, keep it cordless. :+1: Although (like the plugs) probably need to be quick before they all sell out, and wait months for more stock :frowning:

Cheers
Roy

That's one of my worries! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Easier fitting - My plan too, if I can get them to work/fit

1 Like

If you have a motor that's too small can't you just add an extra sleeve to it so you have a pipe within a pipe? Unless the difference is huge as long as you get a 29.9 outside diameter pipe and then an inside diameter to fit the motor it should be fine. Admit it's a bit of a faff but at least then you can use your existing poles.

G

I tried one of these, and seriously thinking of building up the bracket now:

Sent it back as it did not fit. Not available now.

Dont think is was zigbee or zwave though, it was before I bought HE.

Has anyone found anything in the UK that works with Hubitat and is readily available?

We had some motorised blinds fitted earlier in year that use a Neo Smart hub (http://www.neosmartblinds.com/). They can be controlled over the local network - so are not Zigbee/zWave, but work very well.

I have http commands integrated into RM rules for closing and opening at set position based on an offset around sunrise/sunset.

Nice! Did you fit them yourself or use a supplier to do them?

Got a supplier to do... have been trying to remember the name of the company... (will come back to you).

HE deals with the opening/closing of the blinds fine... (standard raise/lower command). Because I have the blinds open at a set position, I send a http command to the hub that controls that bit of it.

That's fine, as we now have a baby in the house I am trying to automate more things and this will be useful for introducing quiet time as part of the bed time routine...

2 Likes

I wanted to fit myself... got overruled! :smirk:
I had to create a virtual switch to overrule the opening of the blinds, more so for the weekends... The dog stirred a bit too early...!

Ha we don't get weekend lie-ins anymore so that wouldn't be an issue...
How did they come out pricewise?

Once I can get hold of the misses, I’ll have more info...

I used this Neo Smart driver (URL).

Congratulations @philpugh :+1:

1 Like

We had them installed in November last year from Abacus Blinds, six fabric motorised roller blinds (wifey chose style/colour), with a hub and fitting it came to about £2k. They are rechargeable - their first charge since install was last week.

I've never really been a fan of motorised blinds of curtains. Apart from the bedroom curtains we either don't have curtains or don't close them :joy: