Zigbee Mini Repeaters (Tuya) - Shout Out

I thought I'd give a shout out to these little Zigbee repeaters. I added 4 of these to my network about a year ago and they have been a great addition and made my mesh very stable.

Very inconspicuous, so much so they are easy to forget where you put them!

They are about $15 on Amazon Amazon Link

But if you are willing to wait you can get them on AliExpress (link) for about $5.

4 Likes

I dropped one in the garage and just found it one year later. So don't be a fumble fingers or you may never see it again. :wink:

They are super easy to hide, which gives them very high WAF compared to plug repeaters that have to sit there looking like a wart on the wall. @aaiyar speaks very highly of them as well.

2 Likes

I have 4 of these and they are awesome. Way better that the first try with Trafri.

1 Like

ya no thanks... aliexpress charging 47 shipping and even amazon is not free shippping.. oh well.

Geeze, that's UPS shipping rates to Canada!
I bought them and I think it was the usual 3 dollars.

Amazon shipping seems reasonable to me...more an annoyance than a significant cost:

2023-10-11 10_37_11-Amazon.com_ Signal Repeater Booster for Tuya ZigBee 3.0, USB Signal Range Extend

And w/the coupon you save 70 cents! :slight_smile:
2023-10-11 10_37_21-Amazon.com_ Signal Repeater Booster for Tuya ZigBee 3.0, USB Signal Range Extend

Once in a while you can catch them on sale at AliExpress for $1.97

They have a bunch of stuff they rotate for $1.97 but there are two catches :

1. you can only buy one of each item per order

2. you have to buy a minimum of three items for $1.97 each (heck it’s only 6 bucks…)

The pros :

1. I usually get my goodies in about 12 days, sometimes less.

2. free shipping

The cons :

It feeds my addiction. I buy €rap I don’t need to to fill out the other two items. If I want more than one of an item, I start a new order after the previous order has been processed. Then I have to buy two more things I didn’t need.

For example, they have a RJ45/RJ11 cable tester for $1.97 (it isn’t on sale right now)

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPua25c

My son is mucktymuck IT with so many certifications they ran out of letters. He saw mine and said it does everything his high dollar network tester does (except fiber). Field tests next to the approved equipment showed it was accurate. Had to buy another one (and find two more things to make the three minimum)

I try not to buy things that connect to my house wiring because nothing is UL Certified. But the Tuya peanut plugs with power monitoring were too good to pass up. As were the Tuya Zigbee touch wall switches.

Normal orders still take about a month. The stuff on sale has to be in the US already to get it to me in 12 days.

For battery or USB stuff, I'll sometimes roll the dice on Tuya/Ali stuff, but mains-powered is where I draw the line... If it ain't UL or ETL certed, it's not getting plugged in or going in my wall.

1 Like

Tell me you have an AliExpress addiction with telling me you have an AliExpress addiction

Some days I feel like the chain smoking granny living in a trailer ordering from the Home Shopping Network.

2 Likes

Or saying to herself: "It's just one more cat, and I only have 17..."

3 Likes

Thanks again. Didnt notice there was a pull down for shipoing to change to free and the price went up. But not bad for 4 of them ie.

1 Like

Very good price for four w/free shipping! Good catch.

Dammit guys, stop. If I get on that website I'm going to be forced to order more stuff and my crap drawers are filled

3 Likes

You could throw a dozed of these in there and it wouldn't even raise the level. Drawer will still shut fine. :grinning:

3 Likes

got these.. it paired immediately on c8 but just as Device... is there another driver i should change it to?

@kkossev

I think most of us use this ..

1 Like

I use this :

2 Likes

It doesn't need a special driver (and I don't think one exists anyway).

Either "Driver" or the Ikea signal repeater driver works just fine.

1 Like

Yes, no special driver is needed for the Tuya Zigbee router/repeater to operate normally, once joined the HE Zigbee network.

The only benefit of the driver linked above is the possibility to monitor and display the device online/offline status.

Mine has never felt offline.

1 Like

The dedicated repeater has always felt like a bit of a monitoring black hole. I find they work well but I don't like not having any insight, so I'm currently writing a driver to shine some light on what the repeaters are doing. Here is a preview.

Device Neighbors shows LQI - Device name.

It also optionally gathers info from the hub to generate all the hub variable content.

4 Likes