Zigbee Garage Door

The device you suggested is functionally the same as the device suggested by @jon1. With the same connection to the peanut. His device is also a fully enclosed SPDT relay with a 120V coil. And it comes with a 120V plug-in cord to connect to the Peanut.

I used a lamp cord and female spade terminals to connect the Peanut I used. And mounted everything in a work box. Admittedly more work than the devices suggested by @jon1 or you. But no less safe. And it definitely meets electrical code.

1 Like

@aaiyar Now I understand what you are doing. The bottom relay has a cord, I did not see that, so that is great. The top relay a little more dangerous. So being that the bottom relay is functionally like the one I suggested, but cheaper, would definitely work. I didn't find that one when looking. I was just trying to simplify it but I am not that critical on price, to an extent. Actually I like the lower relay over the ZFM-80 that I am using. Anyway it's all in what we like. Yea when I misunderstood and thought you guys were hacking the peanut I got a little worried. Thanks for straightening that out.

1 Like

So, don’t know if anyone cares but thought I would share. All said and done took 15 minutes and it’s all done! Thanks everyone.

2 Likes

Nice. And I'm assuming it is working well for you? Did you use a tilt sensor or a contact sensor for the door?

I used a tilt sensor. The newest Samsung multisensor to be exact.

It works well, I did have to change the amount of time it stays on though. Otherwise my garage would only open/close a bit before returning to the previous state.

1 Like

I thought I'd add my adventure here. Had a couple wall-warts from some Poe cameras 12V 1A, and a couple of old Xfinity sercomm outlets laying around. Couldn't find my spare wire after installing the openers a few years back so used some 4wire conductor I had laying around. Bought a couple of 12V 4 pin relays from eBay for $2.50 a piece and put it all together. So for about $5.00 total I have my garage automated.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

2 Likes

Hey @tlrfreak, I am looking to do exactly this, could you post a link to the relay that you have?

Ebay link

This is the type I used, it's a 4 pin 12V automotive relay. You can get them without the fuse if you want too. They are on Amazon with 2 day shipping as well if you dont want to wait for shipping from China.

1 Like

Hey guys for anyone visiting I just wanted to share something. I was having a lot of alerts and weird problems with the Zigbee mesh in my garage. I replaced the peanut plug with an Ikea outlet and it all went away.

So not sure if it's the peanut plug's fault, but it does seem like it was causing me some issues.

1 Like

Are you using any sensors to know if the door is open or shut?

Yes, you would need that - either a contact sensor or a tilt sensor.

Which terminals do the wires connect too? My garage door has 3, labeled 1, 2, 3. I assume based on the current wiring (I rent this place) it is for the sensors and the button by the door. So if I were to implement this, how would I wire it up (Ex. C goes to 1 and NO goes to 3)? I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP.

It would go to the same terminals as the door button. And since it is just a dry contact relay - it doesn't matter which conductor goes where.

Ok got it. It looks like the door switch is going to 1-2. So I'll use those.

I am going to use a smart things Zigbee outlet. Do I need a special app? I also would like to send this through the homebridge app I have. Is that possible also?

So your planning on using the Smartthings Outlet to power up a relay, whose Normally Open contacts are going to be in parallel with your door button ?
That’d work.

1 Like

Yep that’s correct. I purchased the relay linked up higher in the thread from amazon. And I have the spare plug And multi sensor I’m going to use as well.

Once I get it setup I’ll probably have to look into how to setup the virtual device and all that stuff.

Are you handy at wiring? You could just get a Zigbee relay and make your own. The Xiaomi relays work very well and don’t drop like the Xiaomi battery devices tend to. They also work as repeaters, but they are not isolated from mains voltages, so you need to use the output to close a standard 110v relay so you have a set of contacts that don’t have any voltage in them.

can you provide the momentary switch driver

Answered via PM.

Hi DaisyLee, I’m currently working on that same setup for garage... quick question on when you decided to switch from peanut plug to TRÅDFRI plug, what did you do about the momentary switch code (since that was for the peanut plug)? Is it a built in setting in Hubitat for the TRÅDFRI plug or did you find custom code somewhere else? Thanks in advance!