Zigbee Contact Sensors - External input

I am currently using GoCOntrol WADWAZ contact sensors for the purpose of external connections. I use Dakota outdoor sensors, DCMT-4000 – Dakota Alert, with the main control station, that has a relay built in that I trip the contact sensor. Well, moving over to Hubitat those contact sensors are not very reliable and they are Z-Wave. So I am looking for something similar in Zigbee format if possible. Anyone using something like this

I use quite a few of these as dry contact sensors (the same use as yours). Mine are very reliable. What's the distance between your sensors and the nearest repeater?

Edit: I haven't come across any zigbee dry-contact sensors that would work as a plug-n'-play replacement for the WADWAZ-1.

20ft. What device driver are you using

The built-in generic z-wave contact sensor driver. Mine are within 15 feet of a repeater. I'm just about to put another in that is about 20 feet away.

I have the same problem. I have one in my shed literally sitting on a Zen16 that works flawlessly, (plus more repeaters in the garage 20feet form that) and I get maybe 50% from the contact sensor. I'm going to run some cat6 cable to relay the signal from the input device and see if I can get the contact closer to the house come spring. :man_shrugging:

I have also looked and not found a ZigBee alternate. If you do please tag me I'll take 2!

I am going to try one of these and see how they work

You will just take the output of the relay to the two connection on the back May require a little soldering or open of the unit but for 18...i will give it a shot

1 Like

I purchased 3 of these. I'm still testing the first one (aka its still sitting my desk and haven't had the motivation to put it where it will live)

Anyway the instructions say you can loosen the contacts (which appear to be stainless steel allen head screws) and put wires under the screw heads for remote water sensing contacts. I can't imagine why these would not function when connected to a mechanical / magnetic contact.

1 Like

Sweet, considering I have 3 of these in boxes in the basement I'll need to give that a shot (never got around to adding them as leak sensors lol)

Hi,
If I'm understanding you correctly, I think I do this with door/window contact sensors. I tried the Aqara ones, and they worked but sometimes didn't work. I wondered if it was because it the drivers are user created.
I've now bought some Sonoff ones, since they are now natively supported. Specifically the SNZB-04. I have made it work okay so far.
It's not very easy to solder connection wires on, as they are mighty small, so your soldering needs to be on point!
But they are cheap, and natively supported.
If I've understood you correctly, maybe worth a go?

I should say that I found this thread after googling input devices for habitat, as I'm looking for something easy, cheap, and reliable to get simple signals into Habitat that I can then do things with!
So am I missing other obvious ways to do this?

The Ecolink (Z-WAVE PLUS DOOR WINDOW SENSOR (WHITE AND BROWN CASES) DWZWAVE2.5-ECO) has screw terminals on the board. Doesn't get much easier. But it's Z-Wave.

Also see:

I've also had good luck with the Sonoff SNZB-04, but not exactly an "off the shelf" alternative.

1 Like

The Aeotec Door Window 7 (700 Series Z-Wave) was mentioned in the link I posted. Found this graphic:

Again, it's Z-Wave.

I'm converting Visonic MCT-340 Es. The solder points are VERY fragile and prone to breaking or burning off. I'm also converting them to usb at the same time and there isn't much room for the wires as the case is compact.

Pix here:

In the end, I think this is the only option for a zigbee-based equivalent even though there are several options with screw-terminals among z-wave sensors.

How did it work out?

While we're on the subject, here is a pix of the solder points on an Iris V2 contact. The comment indicates it is working but I've yet to try it. .....Not sure my eyes & hands are good enough for that one.

Not exact 'screw terminals' but with a lil hex driver, according to option 2, it should work. Soon as it is nice out I'm replacing my unreliable ZW contact with this guy, and will post back any luck.

2 Likes

Thanks Eric. Looks easy, but as you say, Z Wave, and I have avoided it so far, so I'll continue if I can.
Also... in the UK, that is Β£28! The SNZB-04 can be had for Β£8.

I'll work on improving my soldering!

Not a bad approach at all. My first doorbell project was assembled much the same way from a SmartThings door/window sensor with leads soldered onto the hall effect sensor. As I have gotten older I have found working on small electronics frustrating due to my vision and lack of steadiness so now I try to go for as much "out-of-box" as I can.

2 Likes