Zigbee 3.0 In-Wall Receptacle with Repeater 2024

It's April 2024. I am looking for a Zigbee 3.0 In-Wall receptacle (1-gang, duplex, NEMA 5-15, USA, UL/ETL certified) that I can use as a repeater in my home and get rid of some wall-warty Zigbee smart plugs that are hanging off of the current dumb receptacles.

Various products have come and gone. The Jasco Enbrighten 43102 appears to be discontinued. The Sinope Smart In-Wall Outlet Zigbee is also (apparently) gone.

The only one I found is the Shenzhen Keygma KS-15T/WU, which is available on aliexpress.com. Rebadged versions appear on Amazon.com (B0C725G6TJ) and ScreenInnovations.com as the Screen Innovations Smart Outlet. It says that it is ETL-certified.

Is the Shenzhen Keygma KS-15T/WU good? I mainly care about the repeater functionality without having anything whatsoever protruding from the receptacle; the functionality of the smart outlet to turn a receptacle on or off is not as important.

Are there any other products?

Very few of the mains-powered IoT gadgets engineered in China have true UL/ETL certification, so if you can verify the certification - go for it!

The Zigbee routing functionality is built into the Tuya Zigbee 3,0 SoC used in this device, so the OEM can not mess up anything here. I have a lot of Tuya mains-powered sockets and other devices that are excellent Zigbee 3.0 repeaters. I have zero problems with otherwise picky end-devices (Aqara sensors as an example). If Tuya routers handle the problematic Aqara devices so well, no problems should be expected with any other brands.

This is a small part of my main hub Zigbee network, the Nous plug is Tuya Zigbee 3.0 device :

1 Like

Found the ETL certifications.

Canada Certification

Title: GENERAL USE OF RECEPTACLES, ATTACHMENT PLUGS & SIMILAR WIRING DEVICES
Company: SHENZHEN KEYGMA ELECTRICAL MANUFACTURING CO., LTD - Shenzhen, Guangdong CHINA
Product Information: Trade Name(s): MIKONA, YOLINK.

Flush Receptacle with Integral Class 2 Power Unit, Model Nos. KU-15T, KU-15TQ.

Flush Receptacle with Integral Class 2 Power Unit and wireless remote control, Model Nos. KS-15T/WU, KS-15T/W, YS6704-UC, YS6705-UC.
1x1
Evaluated to the following: A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for General Use of Receptacles, Attachment Plugs & Similar Wiring Devices (CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 42) and are identified with the cETL Listed Mark.

UL-498 (United States) Certification

Title: ELECTRICAL ATTACHMENT PLUGS & RECEPTACLES
Company: SHENZHEN KEYGMA ELECTRICAL MANUFACTURING CO., LTD - Shenzhen, Guangdong CHINA
Product Information: Trade Name(s): MIKONA, YOLINK.

Flush Receptacle with Integral Class 2 Power Unit, Model Nos. KU-15T, KU-15TQ.

Flush Receptacle with Integral Class 2 Power Unit and wireless remote control, Model Nos. KS-15T/WU, KS-15T/W, YS6704-UC, YS6705-UC.
1x1
Evaluated to the following: A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Electrical Attachment Plugs and Receptacles (UL-498) and are identified with the ETL Listed Mark.

1 Like

The only thing I donā€™t like is the bright green LED when the outlet is powered. I have one on each of my Zigbee meshes and they have been behaving. For a while I used one in a test rule when I toggled it on and off quiet a few times. It didnā€™t miss any of the commands.

I have some more to install as I migrate my old devices to the new hubs. I donā€™t anticipate any problems.

Most of the Tuya switch device LEDs are configurable, but I need to see the exact Zigbee model/manufacturer after the device is paired to HE, to know whether the LED can be turned off.

1 Like

I would be very hesitant to use smart receptacles in my home. If you ever sell you home, you will need to go back and remove each of them and replace them with a standard receptacle. Otherwise, the home inspector is going to flag them as a potential problem.

I have had a number of smart plugs fail due to power surges from power outages and severe thunderstorms. Make sure you keep a supply of replacement devices on hand in case the outlets fail. With a smart plug, you can always remove the defective plug and plug directly into an outlet to restore power. If a smart receptacle fails, you do not have that option.

1 Like

Why is that?

2 Likes

Another option to consider

3 Likes

Was just going to suggest Legrandā€™s receptacles as well.

They donā€™t make it very clear in the product info, but the ā€œwith Netatmoā€ versions are regular old zigbee 3.0, so they work with Hubitat.

Legrand is a reliable electrical device manufacturer in North American markets that can be trusted to meet safety certifications.

I would probably never believe anything on Aliexpress about UL or ETL certifications. Even if itā€™s possible to look up something that appears to be the same or similar devices on the testing lab websites.

4 Likes

Okay so we have two products so far.

The WNRR15WH thread suggests that the Legrand product may not function effectively as a Zigbee router. If the manufacturer is Jasco, perhaps Legrand got an exclusive license from Jasco for Zigbee products, with the intent of eliminating a competitor from the marketplace (which could explain why you can't find Jasco Zigbee outlets anymore).

There is a pretty steep price difference between the two: ~$20 versus ~$60 range, which will add up if you buy more than a couple of them. Also the WNRR15WH appears to be out of stock at the big suppliers (Home Depot, etc.) but Amazon.com at least has stock. Name-brand is one thing, but Legrand appears to have gone to very great lengths to obscure any mention of Zigbee (and compatiblity with Zigbee hubs) in their marketing in this product line.

I sold a home with multiple zwave devices in it, including ~12 Leviton zwave receptacles. Inspector didnā€™t raise any issues about them.

The only issue raised was that the door between the garage and house wasnā€™t fire-rated ā€¦..

2 Likes

Is there any information I can send you, or are you waiting for a device?

Do you have an AE item number for that?
All that's showing for KS-15T/WU is the Wi-Fi version, item 1005005552358791.

You're right. The Zigbee version is not on AliExpress. In fact the WU one is probably the Wi-Fi version anyway.

Screen Innovations Smart Outlet it is, then. I will try to call them to see what the lead time and availability are for the product.

YoLink YS6704 YoLink In-Wall Outlet is the same product generally but the reviews say "not wifi". Actually the Walmart listing says it uses LoRa. So, probably a dead end.

I found this product on Amazon. It is so random, but it works with SmartThings per this post. "Model I believe is SM-PW801-U2Z"

I was able to find the manufacturer, "xenon.cn":

SM-PW801-U2

SM-PW801-U1

There is a listing on AliExpress!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256801433758667.html

My advise would be to stay away from Xenon - this is the Hubitat most incompatible Zigbee device I have ever dealt with ... Search this forum for Xenon.

1 Like

If you have this device paired to a HE hub, just publish a screenshot of the Device Details section that can be found at the bottom of the HE device web page.

Most home buyers are not home automation savvy. While an automated receptacle might be within code, because it is a non-standard device, many homeowners would not know how to deal with it if it failed. Also, the NEC of 2014 requires that all automated receptacles are properly labeled to indicate that they are not always powered. Lack of proper labeling would be a code violation.

If automated operation is no longer needed, code requires that the receptacle be replaced with a standard receptacle. Since the new homeowner might not have the same requirements for automation, it would be best to replace all automated receptacles with standard receptacles before the home inspection.

It is currently configured as a Generic Zigbee Outlet.