Zigbee 3.0 button controller $8.88 USD at home Depot, includes cct bulb

Super. Can anyone confirm the Hue Bridge?

I haven't tried this yet. I was able to get the bulbs paired before the wife rushed me out the door.

1 Like

:smile: Obey :no_mouth:

1 Like

Last night planned on going to HomeDepot today to pick up 2 or 3 of these kits. Online it said my HomeDepot had 35 of these. I spent close to 20 minutes in there today trying to locate them. Had 3 different employees involved with the search. No Luck. Figured I would just order online for instore pickup (force them to deal with the search. Later in the day, got a call that they didn't really have any, even though their system said there was 35.
Now I'm really wanting to grab 5 or 6. Figure I can give a couple as Christmas gifts, maybe put a couple of bulbs in play and stash a few kits for when someone figures out how to get the remotes to work with Hubitat.
Decided to venture out about 12 miles to the next closest HomeDepot, picked up 10... figured worst case, just take them back for a refund but overnight the price had been lowered to less than $5 per kit.
Ken

When you search on the HD app, the search list says they are $19.97 but when you click to goto actual item, it says $4.88 reduced from $12.88.

That might be the case, but only if you happen to own a Hue bridge or Tradfri outlet. So without, the remote is dead in the water . . .

You don't need a hue bridge. I don't have one. The included bulb pairs directly with Hubitat. While it is paired with the Hubitat you can link the remote with the bulb after joining the remote to Hubitat.

Anyone knows if the bulb is also a repeater?

Can you control any other devices on HE then? Or only the Ecosmart bulb?

I'm curious whether it can pair with a Hue Bridge. Most bulbs are poor repeaters for non-bulbs, so if you can avoid pairing them to a hub, that's usually a good idea (unless they are Sengleds, which don't repeat, or you don't have any other kind of Zigbee device on that hub). Based on some casual Googling/Redditing, it looks like the previous generation doesn't, but those were probably ZHA 1.2 and these look like Zigbee 3.0, so who knows.

1 Like

I don't buy the bulbs are poor repeaters rule. From what I can tell most of the bulbs that were an issue were based around a Marvell SOC. It make no sense to me that a companies plug (the Tradfri plug, Sylvania plug) would have no issues while the equivalent bulb would somehow be a bad repeater. In the case of Tradfri the plug has similar firmware versions (2.0.x) to the newer Tradfri bulbs so I would guess they come from the same code base. Now I think most of the bulbs that were trouble were Zigbee certified a long time ago (mostly under ZLL) but if the Zigbee certification didn't change their test case to cover this issue then they have issues.

1 Like

Believe it or not; the choice yours. But the reality is that it's true for many bulbs. :slight_smile: Mike (on Hubitat staff) has seen this happen with a Zigbee sniffer before his very eyes. Many people can also anecdotally tell you of problems that were resolve by removing bulbs that are known to be particularly problematic (GE Link and Cree come to mind, as do my otherwise beloved Hue bulbs--but all are fine on their own ZLL networks).

The Trådfri bulbs you mention are ones many people actually report having good luck with. I'm not sure staff have tested them (most are not otherwise great bulbs--do you want an RGBW bulb that doesn't actually implement the color temperature clusters? me neither). Newer bulbs in general do tend to come with fewer reports of problems from people. But without testing, this is all just anecdotal. The data do exist for the older bulbs.

1 Like

Yes sir, yes it is
According to my XBEE scan it is a repeater, XCTU shows good LQI. I hope the buffer isn't garbage

1 Like

I am staying away for now. Let you guys have all the fun first. LOL

I have a Conbee on my Zigbee network. It lets you send all sorts of information to the devices. I was able to figure out what group the remote was in and then manually add that group to a non touchlink device. The device was controllable. Kind of a lot of work but it is possible.

Let me see if I got this straight:

1. Pair bulb to Hubitat
  2. Pair Remote to Hubitat
  3. Link Remote to Bulb

Is this correct?
What Device do you configure the Remote as in HE after pairing?
Once linked to the Bulb, what can you control with the Remote? I assume only the Bulb, since there is no driver that could accommodate the various button pushes . . . .

I think only Step #1 and Step #3 do anything.

I just confirmed that does work. The remote can control my two test bulbs, and Hubitat can control my two test bulbs.

Some wrinkles:

• According to the Zigbee logs, in my case only one bulb is reporting back to the hub its state change when the remote does something, even though both are changing physically. Is this due to the message coming from bulb 2 through bulb 1? shrug
  • According to the logs, no events from the remote to Hubitat
  • Using the built-in Groups and Scenes app to group my two bulbs, the fact that only one of my bulbs changes state isn't updating the group's state to match. So my toggle rules don't work well. This could probably be fixed, though.
  • The remote doesn't know when Hubitat changes the bulb's state, so if the bulbs get out of sync the on/off button needs two presses to get back in sync. Remote seems to be sending an "on" or "off" command and tracking state internally - rather than a "toggle" command (if one even exists).

This makes the whole thing useless for my purposes, but it is interesting information.

That's about what I saw. I think any touchlinked remote would have limitations. The advantage is you skip the hub and get direct control. This is probably why all the Ikea remotes are touch link. No need for the user to program what the remote does. Easy setup but if someone moves to Hubitat then they can't use the remote. Smartthings and Deconz support adding the coordinator to a group so they can use the remotes that only support group messages (if they have a driver).

Smartthings and Deconz support adding the coordinator to a group so they can use the remotes that only support group messages (if they have a driver).

Is there any reason Hubitat can't/won't support this? Has this been talked about elsewhere?

2 Likes