ZEN16 multirelay turned on all three relays spontaneously

One of my two ZEN16 multirelays using Zooz Multirelay driver spontaneously turned on all three relays. This wasn't the consequence of a rule. In fact, one of the relays is spare and not used anywhere. The only In Use By for the unused relay is Device Watchdog. Nothing is wired to SWx. No, Alexa hunches not enabled. Power fluctuations aren't likely as both are on the same UPS. Only one of the two ZEN16 did this.

It has only happened once, but did leave my garage door open, which is disconcerting. Anyone seen this?

Any chance that the parent may have been turned on somehow?

1 Like

Yes, the parent device shows on at that moment. It appears that if any child is turned on/off, the parent shows an event as being turned on/off.

The only in use by for the parent device is Device Watchdog (which I mention only for full disclosure; it wasn't running at the time).

1 Like

And is the log above for the parent of for one of the child devices?

IIRC, the converse situation is true too. If the parent is turned on, it turns on all three child devices.

I have had five of these for over a year. I haven’t seen it happen randomly.

1 Like

Good questions! Device 2705 in the log is the Multirelay Lower parent device. The children are

Okay - It looks like the “MultiRelay Lower” produced the On and Off events on the device…

Interesting. Based on the sequence of entries in the log, it looks like something caused the parent to turn on three times, then the children reported their statuses It n response to that.

Not sure where to point you if the only thing using the parent is Watchdog. :thinking:

1 Like

🫱🏻Tag! You’re it!

:rofl: Our posts are passing each other in the ether.

1 Like

No, that's not necessarily how it works. If you turn on or off any of the child devices, the parent will show on and off as well. Here I turn on one of the child devices:

Interestingly, when I turn on the parent, only one of the child devices turns on.

In any event, there was nothing to trigger the parent device to do anything. I suspect this is a fluke hardware malfunction.

Been fighting it for a while now. It appears that a dashboard is doing it randomly along with something else which I am still trying to isolate.

Could very much be the case!

My observation was based on the following, which, if I interpret it correctly, means that the Relay 3 was triggered by its parent device:

Look at the time stamps. The one at 10:20 AM is when the three relays spontaneously turned on. The next one was 20 minutes later when I turned it off.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw your post when searching for similar events, but didn't think it was necessarily related since it was a different device. Could be the similar components inside the ZEN16 though. I don't think a dashboard is causing my issue since the unused relay definitely doesn't appear on any dashboard.

Weird.

One thing that blew me away is I have 10 or so of these double relays and I did an app switch between two of them and the problem moved. That tells me that it is not hardware. The other thing is it is still doing it with nothing like yours.

Name Value Unit Description Source Type Produced by Triggered apps Date

switch off Up Living Fan: switch is turned off (digital) DEVICE digital Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan 2023-02-09 01:02:32.368 AM EST
numberOfButtons 5 DEVICE Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan 2023-02-09 01:02:32.361 AM EST
command-off Command called: off DEVICE command Living Up Fan Turns On 2023-02-09 01:02:32.115 AM EST
switch on Up Living Fan: switch is turned on (digital) DEVICE digital Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan * Living Up Fan Turns On (allHandlerX) 2023-02-09 01:02:30.908 AM EST
numberOfButtons 5 DEVICE Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan 2023-02-09 01:02:30.898 AM EST
command-on Command called: on DEVICE command Hubitat® Dashboard 2023-02-09 01:02:30.553 AM EST
switch off Up Living Fan: switch is turned off (digital) DEVICE digital Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan 2023-02-09 12:46:03.220 AM EST
numberOfButtons 5 DEVICE Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan 2023-02-09 12:46:03.207 AM EST
command-off Command called: off DEVICE command Living Up Fan Turns On 2023-02-09 12:46:02.964 AM EST
switch on Up Living Fan: switch is turned on (digital) DEVICE digital Relay Up 6 Sitting Area Fan * Living Up Fan Turns On (allHandlerX) 2023-02-09 12:46:01.743 AM EST

The rule is new all it does is shut it back off if it comes on and notifies me.

The dashboard is just a switch.

If I close the dashboard (only opened on one windows pc in chrome) it does not have the issue.

I have been here alone (no one else to touch stuff while testing) for the last three weeks.

Really weird

Does the ZEN52 use the Zooz Multirelay device type? In that case, we do have driver in common.

I only have two ZEN16 and have had them for a year, with only the one incident.

I am using the zooz advanced driver. Like I said I have 10 of these for 6 months and just now the one is acting up but I swapped it to one of the other ones and the problem moved hence why I believe that it is not hardware. Not sure where to go from here,

Bump. For the record, this happened again after three months, so very intermittent. Same ZEN16. same symptoms. The parent and all three relays turned on spontaneously. As I mentioned in first post, one of the relays (dev:2708) is no connect and not referenced in any rule or app.

@agnes.zooz any suggestions?

We're only seeing the log from a point when the Multirelay Lower device is on - can you show us the events from earlier that would possibly reveal what prompted the device to turn on? Is the Multirelay Lower device the main ZEN16 device?

There is nothing in the log preceding what I posted that is related, but I will send that to you that portion of the log via message. There is nothing in any automation or app that would simultaneously turned on all three relays as two are completely unrelated, and one is not in use anywhere.

1 Like