ZEN16 multirelay turned on all three relays spontaneously

For the 3 relays to be triggered, only the main device needs to be turned on in Hubitat, that's why I asked if "Multirelay Lower" is the main device here - it looks like this was triggered first which then resulted in all of the individual relays to turn on as well.

Of course. As we know, the parent device becomes on when any component device becomes on, and vice-versa. In the case of my issue, it appear that the parent device came on, triggering all three components. This is the same as I noted when this happened in February.

The parent device is not referenced anywhere other than Device Watchdog which runs once a day at 12:15 PM.

We haven't seen the device triggering randomly like this. It would help to see what event (Z-Wave or physical) prompted the status change for the main device. This is a pretty simple device which depends on physical or Z-Wave inputs to open or close a circuit. There's no physical control type on the device that would trigger all 3 inputs at the same time so the only way to trip the main device like that would be through a Z-Wave command. We just don't know where it's coming from with this level of logging unfortunately.

It is indeed a mystery. The event type on the parent was digital just as it shows when one of the relays is triggered on. I had two ZEN16s using the same driver and similar use cases. Nothing connected to any SW terminals. The issue has occurred twice, both on the same ZEN16.

It looks like you're sharing the same power supply between these 2 units - would you be able to power them off of a dedicated power supply for each unit in case this has an effect?

Sure. I don't have any better ideas. Previously, all my 12V stuff was powered by a 2A source. I have removed the lower ZEN16 from that and moved to a dedicated 1A supply.

1 Like

@agnes.zooz Well, it happened again so we've ruled out not having a dedicated power supply.

As before, the parent device came on spontaneously multiple times followed by all three child devices turned on. And as said before, the parent device is not referenced in any rule or app except for Device Activity Check which runs at 2 PM. One of the three relays is similarly unused, yet turning on the parent device caused it to come on.

I hope we can figure out something else to try. When this occurs, my garage door opens and my irrigation system comes on. :slight_smile:

I having the same issue intermittently with the dual device driver with a different switch. I reported it but no reply. Occasionally when one child device turns on or off in q rule the parent also does which effects the other child.

Once the parent device is triggered, all of the child devices will come on, regardless of whether anything is connected to them or not. Something in the system is causing the main device to come on but there are too many variables to troubleshoot this effectively unfortunately. The only thing you could do is to use the device with factory settings and without any apps to see if the issue still persists and then slowly add more settings / apps to try to isolate the cause behind this random behavior. As mentioned before, there is nothing in the device itself that would cause it to turn itself on and report it as a Z-Wave event like we see in the logs.

I pointed out that one of the child devices was a no connect to emphasize there would be no reason for any automation to be turning it on. Neither is the parent device used in any automation.

Yes. That appears to be the case. But what is "the system"? There is nothing in the logs to suggest a prerequisite event. Just that the parent device comes on. The Z-Wave event is the device telling Hubitat it came on. Are you suggesting a Hubitat anomaly that is sending commands to devices? There's nothing to indicate this.

That it has happened three times on one ZEN16 while never on the other seems to me to suggest that a hardware issue may be in play. I could switch the two ZEN16s to see if that showed us anything new. Or I could move the two used relay uses back to Konnected (which I was trying to migrate away from) and see if this particular ZEN16 that was known to Hubitat but not in use still exhibited the behavior.

2 Likes

I'm following this thread as I recently had an unexplained GDO opening event lately that I haven't figured out yet. I don't think my issue is related to this one, but I'm keeping all options open. It's a Zen17 in my case.

This is probably a dumb question as I may no longer be seeing the forest for the trees, but how would the parent device ever get triggered by "the system" intentionally or otherwise?

With my Zen17, there's no option or capability to control the parent in terms of on/off-- only the two relays (disregarding the sensors in this discussion)... Or is that a difference betw/ the Z16 and Z17?

As i said i believe its a bug in the driver.

I agree with driver issue and the way that the dashboard refreshes? I have been chasing it for months. I know that it is something to do having an open dashboard. I think that I have actually isolated the issue to a specific pc. Since it is software issue on my end and everyone says just reset the device. NO. What is the issue? Anyway I have swapped the two all in one pc's from floor 1 to 2 and have not had the problem in 96 hours. Never made it even 24 hours without it coming on. Work in progress!

The ZEN16 does have On/Off on the device page. [Are you using the "Zooz Multirelay" driver?] However, if I click On, an event is logged in the device events for a digital On. When the spontaneous On occurs, no such event is logged. This, in addition to the lack of any use of the parent device in any automation, and the lack of anything reasonably related prerequisite to the event in the logs, is what leads me to believe the device itself is turning on the parent (which turns on the child device, and each including the parent reporting back to the logs). I wouldn't mind trying a debug version of the driver which doesn't even include the ability to turn on/off the parent device; that might settle whether it is coming from the hub or not.

As good a guess as any. In my case, that would require that it affect only one of two ZEN16s using the same driver, but that's still possible.

This comes down to what is turning on the parent device. @agnes.zooz says it cannot be happening on the device side. I say that if it were to be happening as a result of some automation or app on the hub side, there would be some evidence and there is not. One of us is overlooking something.

1 Like

Good stuff - I'm at the office today, but I'll double-check my Z17 setup tonight... I don't recall what driver it's using, but I know it's stock - that may be the difference in my case (Z17 vs Z16).

I don't use the 2nd relay on my 17, but I noticed recently it was "On" somehow, and I have no idea what did that or when. That's another reason this thread has captured my attention!

Following this thread as I have had both of my garage door openers (Z-Wave openers, not ZEN16) spontaneously open by themselves...with no commands issued.

In both cases, the Z-Wave opener thought the door was closed when it was actually open.

I bought a ZEN16 to replace, but haven't installed yet...

Your issue sounds different. If it were only my GDO that was behaving badly, I would be looking in a different direction. In my case, though, the GDO is just a downstream impact of the parent device coming on without cause.

My issue may have the same root cause as yours, but your troubleshooting would indicate otherwise. In my scenario, the parent device and one of the child devices are not even exposed to any dashboard in the dashboard app. Yet the parent device and the child device not on any dashboard are coming on.

1 Like

Mine is this driver and i have no automations.on the parent device but have found it turned off occasionally which turns off my camera.

Would you be willing to test the ZEN16 when excluded from Hubitat to see if the issue can be replicated? This will tell us if it's a hardware issue or if the device is in fact triggered with a Z-Wave signal.