Z-Wave Switch works manually but does not work from the hub

C8 hub 2.3.8.134, have a a "Patio Light " Zwave switch that seems to have just stopped responding to Z-Wave commands. It works perfectly fine manually, but does not seem to be recognized from the hub. Was working fine earlier today. Strange. I did a Z-Wave repair, it failed.
Any ideas what to do next? Is this switch just toast?

Also hub was super slow so I did a version update and a backup and restore on the DB and that seems to have corrected the lagginess.

Welp, I figured that maybe the z-wave radio in the device had gone bad. So I tried to exclude it, had to force remove it. I then tried a totally new GE/Jasco Switch and the hub will not recognize it. I even tried to exclude it and then include it, no dice. Tried another brand spanking new GE/Jasco switch and it won't recognize that either. I find it hard to believe that three switches are all bad. Any ideas??

Try shutting down the hub, then disconnect its power for ~30". Then power it back up - that usually helps snap the ZW radio back in line when it acts up.

By chance, are you using POE to power the C8?

2 Likes

For sure try the shut down and unplug first, to restart the z-wave radio.

Then

1 Like

THAT WORKED! (Actually it didn't see below) Thank you very very much. What's the deal with this hub? Seems to be very cantankerous, my old hub almost never needed any maintenance whatsoever. I like the flexibility of the C8 hub, but very much dislike all of the hand holding and babysitting this thing needs. I only have 24 devices, 6 simple automation apps, 3 mirrors. It's a very simple setup (that I wish was set it and forget it).

Definitely just using a power brick and a USB-C cable for power.

Well...it didn't work. It worked for about 5 mins and now doesn't work again. What the heck am I doing wrong???

You should try removing those 4 nodes that do not have a device attached. Click the refresh button until you get a Remove option. Then click remove once and wait. They may not remove due to having neighbors.

What what node is the one you are having issues with?

2 Likes

1E (the last one in the list)

Refreshed until I got a remove. Clicked it once. Did not remove. Now what?

For some reason nodes with neighbors usually refuse to remove. If you had checked the logs, it probably said node is no longer in failed list.

There is a chance a full repair would help clear out the neighbors tables. You might need to do a shutdown and unplug for 30 seconds again first, then after it boots back up do a full z-wave repair.

It will take a little bit to notice any changes, the updates to the z-wave details are not instant.

You can also use a USB stick as a secondary controller to force remove them:
-- How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

Alright, got home last night and none of the automations had worked. Shut the C8 hub down, disconnected power for 5-ish minutes. Powered back up and did a Z-Wave repair. It found a whole lot of nodes that didn't work. It seems like everything is working at the moment, but we'll see. Also, ordered a UZB stick and downloaded the Simplicity Studio while I wait for it to arrive. Gonna get this figured out. :slight_smile: Thanks for the help so far.

1 Like

I would not necessarily do a full repair after each shut down, that was a one time suggestion to try to re-establish the neighbors tables. If anything you may need to wait 10-15 minutes after booting before doing it.

I will definitely be curious if removing those dead nodes helps with the lock ups at all. Might change some of my theories a little.

1 Like

Definitely was not planning on doing a Z-Wave repair more than once. I did the Z-Wave repair kind of at your suggestion AND as a last resort. If that didn't work, I was probably going to reset to factory settings, exclude all devices and start over. I don't have that many devices so that would probably be the fastest, but I don't think I'm going to have to. We'll see tonight. Will keep you posted on the ghost removal.

Hey all,
Still testing, but the Z-Wave repair seemed to correct my situation. I also replaced a Zigbee outlet with a Z-Wave outlet to see if this helps the communication between different ends of the house. Question" Since I've added a new Z-Wave device, should I re-run the Z-Wave repair? (I still have a Z-Wave device that is fairly far from the hub that isn't working)

No - Running Z-Wave repair is an exception, not a generally done activity.

Roger!

1 Like

I'm Dana...Roger isn't here right now.

(Oh, I am SO funny to myself.)

:rofl: