Z-Wave Switch works manually but does not work from the hub

ROFL.

The above device is what I am worried about, It seems to take a very circuitous route to get to this device and ultimately fails. The light does not come on during the nightly app turn on of the outside lights. All the other outside lights respond. The new Z-Wave device I added has replaced a Z-Wave device that died (and is much closer to this device than the route it's currently taking.)

For a single device that isn't working reliably, you can try a repair of just that device. That may nudge it to find a new route, and if it does, that can take days rather than minutes or hours to occur. It takes some patience to wait and see if the switch finds a new, reliable path. As a part of that you may need to add or move an existing repeater between the hub and the switch, I believe the recommended placement is a little closer to the hub than the switch.

Another quicker option if you have the switch in a lot of automations would be to use the Settings>Swap Apps Device feature to help wiuth removing/re-joining the switch:

1. Create a virtual switch (Add Device>Virtual)
  2. Use Settings>Swap Apps Device to swap the virtual switch in for the real one
  3. Exclude the real switch
  4. Re-join the real switch and ensure it joined properly - check on the Z-Wave Details page that it looks normal, has routing in the last column.
  5. Use Settings>Swap Apps Device to put the real switch back into your automations

If you only have the switch in a few automations it will be faster/simpler to remove it from those automations, do the switch excluce/re-join, and then put it back into the automations. If you get the same routing then that would likely indicate a need to move/add a repeater between the device and the hub and see if it will choose the repeater.

1 Like

Yeah that device is only showing 2 neighbors. If one of those is not the new device you added then I would run a single repair on both of those devices, hopefully they will see each other and be friends.

Once that happens, when the device tries to re-route next hopefully it will route through the new device. If that new route continues to work it will stick with it.

If you can get a device at least 4-5 minimum that seems to be when they are most reliable for me.

Welp, it's up from 1 neighbor, so I guess that is progress. I'll move the extender a little closer still and see where we end up. Do I need to repair each of the individual devices (extender and switch in question) when I move the extender?

It will sort itself out eventually but doing a repair on both will help to speed that up.

Still cannot seem to "get" to the device that is farthest from the hub, even with an extender one room away (about 15 feet away).

Have you power cycled the device and hub?
Then try a a single repair on the problem device. The repair sends out a bunch of discovery packets, so if its reachable it should eventually reply back.

If still not working you could try to exclude and include it. Warning, exclude will remove the device from the hub and possibly break some rules.

My Silicon Labs UZB stick arrived today, followed the PDF instructions to the letter, cannot get it to pair. Any tips?

So my apparently "to the letter" was completely false. I missed the "select learn mode" button before the NWI. All good. All ghosts removed, now what??

You could try and shut down and unplug for 30 seconds, then once booted back up wait a few minutes and try another full repair. Then just see if anything improves.

I haven't tried that yet but physically removed the device that was giving me trouble, connected it to power near the hub, excluded it and replaced it with a different switch. All seems to be well at the moment.

2 Likes

The Z-Wave Details look better now though....

1 Like

So far what has worked:

1. Initial issue of nothing Z-wave working was resolved with a shutdown/poweroff 30 sec/powerup AND a Z-Wave repair (I tried a number of things before doing a Z-Wave repair as a last resort)
  2. Further helping was connecting a UZB stick and removing the 4 ghosts (no Z-wave repair after this)
  3. Further helping was removing a brand new Zooz ZEN76 switch that was far from the hub and replacing it with a older Z-wave Plus GE/Jasco switch which works perfectly now. Not sure what was wrong with the Zooz switch, I've contacted their support.
  4. Also, to help with excluding/removing the Zooz switch, I moved the hub downstairs. Not sure if that really effected anything, but it's something to note. I'll leave it here for a while to see if things improve.

@jtp10181 - Thanks VERY MUCH for all of your assistance!!

2 Likes

Well...now I get home tonight and it's broken again. WTF???? There has got to be something wrong with this device. I truly do not understand why the Z-Wave radio keep dying. I keep having to shut down, disconnect power for 30+ seconds and then reconnect. Giant PITA.

It doesn't look like you have any power metering or any temp or motion sensors correct?
Usually those are the kinds of devices if configured wrong can sometimes flood the mesh and overwhelm the radio. Also doing too much repairs / refresh / remove oprtations on the details page will sometimes get it in a bad state. Otherwise with just switches and other low volume device I agree it should not be crashing at all.

It is JUST the z-wave crashing right? You can still log into the normal UI?

Maybe should put in a warranty claim and see what they say.

Update:
I found another ghost and removed it (those things are pesky). I have not touched anything else over the last week and all seems to be well. Again, thanks to all that helped. Is there an issue with the "z-wave inclusion" process? I wonder if there is a check that isn't happening that is allowing the ghosts to be generated.

It can happen if a device partially pairs and then fails for some reason, there is no way for the hub to prevent it since it all happens on the z-wave controller. Just need to check the details page if you have a failed paring and then remove the bad node right away.

The other way is if you force remove a device from the HE devices list without properly excluding it. Basically, there is a NEVER a good reason to use the force remove on a z-wave device unless you really understand what you are doing.

So how do you remove a device that has simply died? No way to exclude?

Thats about the only time you would use a force remove, but that does not remove the node. You also have to remove the node by one of the documented methods.

Or if you remove the node first, when you go to delete the device it will just delete without having to "force" it because the hub can tell the node is already gone.

1 Like