Z-Wave Sniffing, Zniffing And You: A Guide To Pulling Packets From Thin Air

Wait so did you or did you not convert a uzb7 to a zniffer? The post above seems to state that it is not possible.

Also as a side note, I saw above it is possible to convert a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 into a Zniffer, but is it possible to convert it back for it's factory use?

My reply was to this question:

I answered that it was, and that I had bought it from Digi-Key.

In answer to your second question,

the answer is, I did not. I also have an Aeotec Gen 5 USB stick (500 series). I used both when the C-7 was going through its ghost nodes teething phase, to remove them. Now I only use them as secondary controllers. I got the Aeotec 500 because the SiLabs 700 seems as insistent as the C-7 in not allowing certain devices to pair without security (unlike the C-5), matching Bryan Copeland’s remarks about enforced restrictions of the 700 Z-Wave stack.

Didn’t mean to mislead you, sorry if I did, I was just answering the question because I had bought that exact part from that exact source.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that too, and that’s the other reason I bought the Aeotec Gen 5. I will probably purchase another for that purpose because I believe I read somewhere in these forums that it’s a one-way conversion. I don’t know whether that’s true.

Edit: ok, I found it:

The original link in the first post still takes me to the same page with the same menu at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.11.59 PM

I just followed the link, logged in and got a fresh copy of the tool.

1 Like

Hmmm Thanks
Grrrr.... But I have no idea why I didn't see that link in the original post. What the heck happened.
Thanks for pointing that out .
Time to delete my "earlier" post

1 Like

That's why you visit this Forum.. for the extra eyes :smiley:

2 Likes

i get intermittant crc errors, would this be becuase the stick is 500 and i am on c7 700 with no s2 key inserted or soemthing else..

thanks in ad

vance

It's generally because the transmitter is a little too far away from the sniffer.

I generally turn off CRC errors (click on the Data header and deselect).

thanks.. im not seeing that much activity. even though i was told i have chatty devices only two really and only every 20-30 secs as expected. the aeon 5 not zwave plus multi and the aeon home energy..

this packet looks really strange . .i dont have node 114 and even if i did it shouldnt be routing between 33 which is an ecolink battery powered motion.. any ideas what is going on..

thanks

if it is a hidden node.. is there anyway to track it down.. thanks

another issue it looks like i have one device that thinks its on the wrong network.. how do i track it down..

is there a way to get teh manuf. or device info.. i was thinking it was an ecolink or device i removed from the smartthings and forgot to pull the battery but it appears to be s2?

could this be normal... does the s2 network use a different homeid by design

I'm trying to installe the Z-Wave Programmer software and am getting this message:

2021-10-09 09_11_08-Z-Wave Programmer Setup

Just want to make sure this is expected...I could not find any way to install the Z-Wave Programmer tool directly from "Simplicity" Studio (ironic qoutes intended) app. Is there a way to install it from the app that is preferred to installing it from the separate download?

And do I really have to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to get to support the software? I ask because I hadn't seen anyone else talking about this requirement in this thread.

Yes, you do have to install Net 3.5 SP1. The trick is to find it. It can be done but I don't remember what I did to get it.

Thanks...nothing like never updating your software to drop old dependencies, eh, Sillabs?

This seems to be working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

Update: Yup, worked:

1 Like

I've switches a lot of my cables and network related stuff from Amazon to Digi key. yes, its more expensive, but I think the quality of the products they offer is far superior to those offered by Amazon .

2 Likes

Thanks to the initial post from @codahq and contributors to this thread, I have today successfully installed Zniffer on my Windows PC. Just posting that I have also successfully flashed a ZME-USB Z-Stick and it seems to work well. :grinning:

1 Like

Can anyone help me track down the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex firmware file used to flash a UZB3 controller stick into a Zniffer stick? I have downloaded the Simplicity Studio from Silicon Labs, installed it, and installed the latest Z-Wave SDK, PC Controller, and Zniffer tools through that. Separately I downloaded the 500-series Z-Wave SDK and Z-Wave Programmer app and installed those. I cannot find the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex file in the zniffer directory or in any of the other paths.

Can someone share that file with me or point me where I can find it? No zniffering for me until I can flash this stick.

Thanks to @erktrek for tracking down the needed hex firmware.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the new Zniffer by Z-Wave>Me? Is it worth its money? I found almost no information about it except for their site and their forum. They also claim to allow sending arbitrary packets and run on Linux and Mac.

Hi @russmo @erktrek any chance you can share the location of the required fimware file? Ive been trawing the silicon labs website without success.

Cheers]

Can you do this with a UZB7? I thought I lost mine, bought a second then found the first. now I also have a zooz 800 stick. so basically I have and extra UZB7 I'm willing to sacrifice..

1 Like