Z-Wave Sniffing, Zniffing And You: A Guide To Pulling Packets From Thin Air

Yes - better antenna/radio = more range = it can hear more messages. That said, you should try to put the sniffer close to the hub if possible anyway, so that it hears the same massages as the hub. And if you do that, range of the UZB3 doesn't really matter in practice.

Any time you put the sniffer somewhere drastically different than the hub it may not see all the same messages as the hub. Which can be OK - depends on what you are doing. You just have to keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Yes, I have that one, purchased from Digi-Key.

1 Like

From SiliconLabs...

DrZWave

Employee

Level 4

Replied 45 days ago

Unfortunately no, the UZB7 cannot be converted into a Zniffer. There are other changes coming to the Zniffer software so the UZB7 is probably never going to be a Zniffer. For now the only solution is to convert a UZB3 into a Zniffer

3 Likes

Wait so did you or did you not convert a uzb7 to a zniffer? The post above seems to state that it is not possible.

Also as a side note, I saw above it is possible to convert a Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 into a Zniffer, but is it possible to convert it back for it's factory use?

My reply was to this question:

I answered that it was, and that I had bought it from Digi-Key.

In answer to your second question,

the answer is, I did not. I also have an Aeotec Gen 5 USB stick (500 series). I used both when the C-7 was going through its ghost nodes teething phase, to remove them. Now I only use them as secondary controllers. I got the Aeotec 500 because the SiLabs 700 seems as insistent as the C-7 in not allowing certain devices to pair without security (unlike the C-5), matching Bryan Copeland’s remarks about enforced restrictions of the 700 Z-Wave stack.

Didn’t mean to mislead you, sorry if I did, I was just answering the question because I had bought that exact part from that exact source.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that too, and that’s the other reason I bought the Aeotec Gen 5. I will probably purchase another for that purpose because I believe I read somewhere in these forums that it’s a one-way conversion. I don’t know whether that’s true.

Edit: ok, I found it:

The original link in the first post still takes me to the same page with the same menu at the bottom:

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.11.59 PM

I just followed the link, logged in and got a fresh copy of the tool.

1 Like

Hmmm Thanks
Grrrr.... But I have no idea why I didn't see that link in the original post. What the heck happened.
Thanks for pointing that out .
Time to delete my "earlier" post

1 Like

That's why you visit this Forum.. for the extra eyes :smiley:

2 Likes

i get intermittant crc errors, would this be becuase the stick is 500 and i am on c7 700 with no s2 key inserted or soemthing else..

thanks in ad

vance

It's generally because the transmitter is a little too far away from the sniffer.

I generally turn off CRC errors (click on the Data header and deselect).

thanks.. im not seeing that much activity. even though i was told i have chatty devices only two really and only every 20-30 secs as expected. the aeon 5 not zwave plus multi and the aeon home energy..

this packet looks really strange . .i dont have node 114 and even if i did it shouldnt be routing between 33 which is an ecolink battery powered motion.. any ideas what is going on..

thanks

if it is a hidden node.. is there anyway to track it down.. thanks

another issue it looks like i have one device that thinks its on the wrong network.. how do i track it down..

is there a way to get teh manuf. or device info.. i was thinking it was an ecolink or device i removed from the smartthings and forgot to pull the battery but it appears to be s2?

could this be normal... does the s2 network use a different homeid by design

I'm trying to installe the Z-Wave Programmer software and am getting this message:

2021-10-09 09_11_08-Z-Wave Programmer Setup

Just want to make sure this is expected...I could not find any way to install the Z-Wave Programmer tool directly from "Simplicity" Studio (ironic qoutes intended) app. Is there a way to install it from the app that is preferred to installing it from the separate download?

And do I really have to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to get to support the software? I ask because I hadn't seen anyone else talking about this requirement in this thread.

Yes, you do have to install Net 3.5 SP1. The trick is to find it. It can be done but I don't remember what I did to get it.

Thanks...nothing like never updating your software to drop old dependencies, eh, Sillabs?

This seems to be working.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150

Update: Yup, worked:

1 Like

I've switches a lot of my cables and network related stuff from Amazon to Digi key. yes, its more expensive, but I think the quality of the products they offer is far superior to those offered by Amazon .

2 Likes

Thanks to the initial post from @codahq and contributors to this thread, I have today successfully installed Zniffer on my Windows PC. Just posting that I have also successfully flashed a ZME-USB Z-Stick and it seems to work well. :grinning:

1 Like

Can anyone help me track down the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex firmware file used to flash a UZB3 controller stick into a Zniffer stick? I have downloaded the Simplicity Studio from Silicon Labs, installed it, and installed the latest Z-Wave SDK, PC Controller, and Zniffer tools through that. Separately I downloaded the 500-series Z-Wave SDK and Z-Wave Programmer app and installed those. I cannot find the sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex file in the zniffer directory or in any of the other paths.

Can someone share that file with me or point me where I can find it? No zniffering for me until I can flash this stick.

Thanks to @erktrek for tracking down the needed hex firmware.

1 Like