Z Wave Routing Defies All Reason

I already excluded/included this morning as verification of a claim I made on another about the UZB-7. The device in question is an Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen 5. Doing this eliminated the ghost route.

1 Like

I don't know about you guys, but I put little to no weight at all on that topology graph. Mine has a ton of red, but still everything is rock solid. I do have a lot of GE zwave switches I'm going to be replacing with inovelli zwave+ over the next week or so, so it will be interesting to see how it changes. I swear I have switches in the same double junction box, that report as not being adjacent. I have even an aotec zwave repeater in there as well, that I have never seen anything repeat through

1 Like

Mine is very similar and I have powered ZW+ switches all over the house - also I should mention that when getting the topo map via a secondary controller (had to run an old version of the PC Controller sw to get it to appear) it looks slightly different not including the first set of reserved devices but still sparse.

My Z-Wave network is operating as expected (finally) with all devices having a decent response time, even ones (49,3F) that have a row that is all red (Grabber Z-Wave Square Remote)...

Seeing a bunch of red is not an indication of a bad network.. Especially where battery devices are concerned, because they don't update their neighbors..

The point of this is to give you a quick look at what nodes can "see" what other nodes.. Gives you an idea of how things can route.. It can also be a good tool to decide where to place repeaters.. But with no context of where these nodes are physically and what type of device they are, you can't make a judgment based on this graphic alone..

Here is mine.. You can clearly see the bulk of my battery devices:

3 Likes

Need a filter to remove battery devices from the topology view. :wink:

5 Likes

Everytime I have to get involved with zwave...or even look at the zwave routing table...I end up buying more Lutron and Zigbee devices. I have a drawer full of zwave stuff that needs to go up for sale somewhere.

Then I pop open my xbee and look at the active routings...and go "yeah...now that makes sense"...don't blame HE on this one....

2 Likes

My two new Aeotec repeaters arrived today. They are smaller than I expected. Hubitat included them without any problems.

Should I do a Z-Wave repair or something to prompt them into the network or just let them nestle in on their own?

I'm not having any Z-Wave problems today but maybe I can provoke some trying to make things better.

Nah.. The mesh will settle and form new routes on it’s own.. And running a repair is not guaranteed to make devices choose those new routes anyway..

5 Likes

Or a different color !!

2 Likes

This is actually a pretty interesting view.
This is my home mesh.

All devices:

Removing battery devices:

1 Like

You can also hit the repair button several times and a remove button will appear. If the remove button doesn’t appear, refresh the page on your browser and the remove will appear.

1 Like

Not always. If the device whose failed pairing (usually one of the next-higher nodes) can still be pinged, the node won’t fail and can’t be removed. In that case, you need to remove power to the device that is responding to the pings, and the node will then fail and usually can be removed.

4 Likes

And in the cases when "usually" doesn't happen, you need to go to a UZB stick to remove the offending ghost. So may layers to this stuff! :wink:

Did you create that by hand? Seems like Merlin-level wizadry...

The latest version of Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) Z-Wave Mesh Details tool (installs via HPM) has a button that will remove battery devices from the topology display.

1 Like

That is interesting. 33 is lonely (unless it is actually a battery device that didn't get filtered out) :wink:

I think it is much easier to read/see issues with battery devices filtered out.

Nice work.

Question about this with HE specifically (C7) I have a switch that was the 2nd device I added when building out the network. However it's a terrible repeater and 6-7 devices want to use it as a repeater...all of which are running at 9.6kbps. I can airgap this switch and wait for the network to route around it and everybody is happy and back at 100.

If I were to say remove this device...and then re-add it so that it's the last device that was added...would that aid in the routing that's done in HE to make it less of a target for routing? Or would I end up in the same situation?

Believe the mesh would eventually find it and revert back unless some other change is made.

2 Likes

Same situation, adding the device first or last won't change the routing algorithms of the mesh network. Eventually it will be considered as a mesh repeater and could have routes that moves other devices through it. The best practice is plan your mesh network that all main powered devices will eventually be used as repeaters. As such make sure you don't have lone main powered devices in really poor areas that could bring down the mesh performance when routed through.

1 Like