Z Wave Routing Defies All Reason

This is actually a pretty interesting view.
This is my home mesh.

All devices:

Removing battery devices:

1 Like

You can also hit the repair button several times and a remove button will appear. If the remove button doesn’t appear, refresh the page on your browser and the remove will appear.

1 Like

Not always. If the device whose failed pairing (usually one of the next-higher nodes) can still be pinged, the node won’t fail and can’t be removed. In that case, you need to remove power to the device that is responding to the pings, and the node will then fail and usually can be removed.

4 Likes

And in the cases when "usually" doesn't happen, you need to go to a UZB stick to remove the offending ghost. So may layers to this stuff! :wink:

Did you create that by hand? Seems like Merlin-level wizadry...

The latest version of Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) Z-Wave Mesh Details tool (installs via HPM) has a button that will remove battery devices from the topology display.

1 Like

That is interesting. 33 is lonely (unless it is actually a battery device that didn't get filtered out) :wink:

I think it is much easier to read/see issues with battery devices filtered out.

Nice work.

Question about this with HE specifically (C7) I have a switch that was the 2nd device I added when building out the network. However it's a terrible repeater and 6-7 devices want to use it as a repeater...all of which are running at 9.6kbps. I can airgap this switch and wait for the network to route around it and everybody is happy and back at 100.

If I were to say remove this device...and then re-add it so that it's the last device that was added...would that aid in the routing that's done in HE to make it less of a target for routing? Or would I end up in the same situation?

Believe the mesh would eventually find it and revert back unless some other change is made.

2 Likes

Same situation, adding the device first or last won't change the routing algorithms of the mesh network. Eventually it will be considered as a mesh repeater and could have routes that moves other devices through it. The best practice is plan your mesh network that all main powered devices will eventually be used as repeaters. As such make sure you don't have lone main powered devices in really poor areas that could bring down the mesh performance when routed through.

1 Like

That's an understatement. I started with those plugs because of their price as well. The quality of my mesh improved dramatically the moment I got rid of them. Purely anecdotal, but it certainly seems like they are a poor Z-wave implementation. I'd say get them out of your mesh permanently, ASAP.

Well.. i wrote the JavaScript by hand, anyway :man_shrugging:
I already had most of the data parsed in the z wave tool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually it is a plug that is behind my TV in the corner of the house. Apparently televisions provide pretty good shielding (or interference?)

1 Like

Cool...been running @tony.fleisher's cool tool for a while, but missed the new button! Thanks!

1 Like

Ah, you didn’t read his release notes. lol

4 Likes

People read those things? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Exactly! :wink: I never read any device Setup/Installation guides, why the heck would I read release notes?!

2 Likes

How do you figure out the ingredients for your bread?

3 Likes

Shhh...don't telll anybody, but I buy them at the local artisan bakery and then pass them off as my own. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s it. I’m telling everyone.

3 Likes