Z-Wave Repair - Does it really work?

I've run Z-wave repair several times, but I'm not sure if it's working. I will often start it at night, only to wake up the next and see that it appears to be still running. At least, I think it is, it doesn't give me any message one way or another. It just says "Z-wave repair running" and that's the state I find it in the next morning.

Most of the devices in my house are Z-wave switches, around 40-50 of them I think. Is it supposed to take this long?

Why are you running Z-Wave repair? What issues are you having?

1 Like

"It" being???

That little red indicator in the upper right corner on some screens/menus doesn't go away by itself. I think you have to do a refresh to get rid of it after the repair is done. But if you look in the logs, it will give messages about this repair being done.

C7 or the earlier hub?

My C5 with about 55 or so devices takes maybe 20-30 minutes at most.

1 Like

I frequently have issues with Z-wave switches losing connectivity and having to be removed/reinstalled, also with dashboard buttons that get stuck in the middle of sending an on/off command. I'm often told when I bring these problems to the forum to run Z-wave repair. It sounds like that fixes a lot of problems for most people but not for me.

Probably weak mesh, lack of repeaters or repeating devices.

Repair is fine to do if you are adding/removing devices, or moving stuff from one location to another, but you shouldn't have to do it in the circumstance you outline above.

1 Like

It being the screen where the Z-wave repair is said to be running.

I have the C-5. Yes, it's the indicator in the upper right hand corner that doesn't go away. If it's not suppose to, that's fine. Where are the logs found in which I can verify that the repair worked?

Also, do I need to have my computer and browser on while a Z-wave repair is running, or am I correct in understanding that once I send the command, the work is being done by the Hub and the computer can be off?

Literally the logs button on the left column.

No.

2 Likes

Once sent the comands run, you can go do other things. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I actually have multiple repeaters but still get the problem. The most irritating thing is, when one switch loses connectivity, often the ones right next to it are totally fine. If it were a weak mesh, wouldn't I see multiple switches in the same area having the problem?

What can I do to strengthen my mesh? I was under the impression that Z-wave devices themselves functioned as extenders. Still, I have multiple range extenders and yet I keep getting this problem.

Can you post a screenshot of your Zwave details page. We could get a better idea of how many devices you have that are repeaters and so on by seeing this page.

And devices next to each other don't necessarily repeat for each other. It is very common for something on the North side of the house to connect to something on the South side, even though there are devices inches away and in between the hub and the device it is connecting through.

Do you have a C7 hub? If so, check out this tool which may help you visualize your problem spots. It's beta so... ymmv.

Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Tool (not produced by Hubitat)

1 Like

Nope, they have C5 from the post above.

Thanks. You caught me not reading the entire thread! Sorry.

So here is an example of mesh, and how you might have issues.

Hub is circled in red. Device (call it a light switch) is circled in green. See how the switch is able to talk to the hub multiple ways, via other devices but not directly?

So if these other devices it talks to are too far apart, are poor repeaters, in areas where there are thick walls, metal boxes, decorative metal wall plates, heat ducts, or numerous other things, you might have issues.

Sure, here they are. I appreciate your help!

Thanks. So the take home points from these Z-wave meshes are that:

1. A Z-wave device may communicate with the hub directly or indirectly through another Z-wave device
  2. Those doing so through an intermediate device might not be doing it through a device physically close to them.

Yes.

Yes.

I think it is limited to 4 "hops" if I remember correctly.

1 Like

Holy cow you have lots of lights and devices. How big is this house, how spread apart is everything?

So it looks like you have 3 repeaters (the Aeotec)? Did you try moving them around? I had to mess with my repeaters to find optimal spots for them. The corners of the house seemed to be the worst. They just sort of sat there and did nothing. More toward the center so they could "throw" (repeat) toward the corners and for things around them worked better for me.

Also, with Zwave plus (0x5E) devices, they supposedly find the best route themselves and theoretically don't need repair like the older devices.

It's a 4400 square foot house. yes, I bought the repeaters thinking it would fix my problem, except that they didn't as far as I can tell.

If I remove a repeater and place it somewhere else, do I need to rerun the Z-wave repair? I remember reading something to that effect.

I currently have my Z-wave repeaters in a sort of chain from the hub (which is on the second floor in an open area overlooking a high-ceiling living room. One of the repeaters is in the center on the first floor almost directly below the hub... I could probably move it to the other side of the living room where it be more diagonal from the hub and less obstruction from walls.

I would try moving them around. Nothing to lose by doing so.

That just speeds up the natural process. I think I would run the repair and watch logs. You don't have to wait until overnight, but it seems to run faster if you don't have much or any Zwave traffic while doing repairs.

And with 4400 square feet, you might just need more repeaters period.