Z-Wave problem after updating to C8-PRO

@support_team

Have had a C8 Running great and decided to update to C8-Pro.
Migration went without a problem. However my z-wave devices are now having
problems that appear to be signal related. Devices that are in the same room are
intermittent. Devices 1 room over less than 20 ft with a sheet rock wall are
regularly failing. My mesh has been working great for around a year. The only
change is the C8-Pro. It is mounted in the same physical location and
orientation. Problems started the first day. I planned to let it run for a bit and
let the network settle, however it appears to be getting worse.

Have you tried swapping the two antennas? It is unlikely, but possible that one of the two new antennas could be defective. You could also use the antennas from the C8 on the C8-Pro as they are identical. This probably will not solve the issue, but it is worth a shot.

Next question, how are you powering the C8-Pro hub? If via a PoE splitter, that could very well be the cause of the poor Z-Wave performance. See the following thread for more information.

3 Likes

We have used both POE and the Wall Wort. Both exhibit the same problem.
Have not swapped antenna, will try that, and I agree will probably not change it.

What are you currently using? I would definitely avoid using a PoE splitter while you're experiencing Z-Wave issues. Switch to a decent quality 1-2Amp 5VDC power supply and let the Z-Wave network settle down for a day or two.

1 Like

Are high gain replacement antenna a good idea to try out?

Not sure - but there are plenty of posts on the same subject, like the following:

When I modified the C7 for an external zwave antenna I used this one with very good results. My Zwave went from awful to almost perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Antenna-Connector-Direction-Wireless/dp/B07H5C5PM9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=27QWFSMEFDXQ0&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WaoBThRHZraQW-LL50eEiXfk90mbcuPRb94n8NRhx2kvJzSG4RM0qptPpx6joC5f1GJaIZ2zopwYaJr3vpkXEoydUz_zwHIkxGPBs-_2KM5hy8UJThuPzKIis558eZCQvC4wfsWvfDyL_-3Y8wHigsS4_8UFZZrlwlRqtuGK5AVyl9eOX_nHGILW0nyueNR6ZZ5NAh0PZ27m4cHgYXgeV-Rxeb39QXOcntl3_CZrOhw.N3Tw3_wbPdLWjBir7I_8Ngv55SL6JTaF7_zjRTTlm0s&dib_tag=se&keywords=900+mhz+antenna&qid=1708103451&sprefix=900+mhz+antenna%2Caps%2C68&sr=8-4

I am currently using the wall wort.
Have swapped antenna's with the ones from the original C8. Will see what happens.

1 Like

It may take a day or so to see if the antenna swap makes a difference.

When I unboxed my 8Pro, I noticed the antenna I put on the ZW terminal was ever so slightly bent -- just a teeny bit, and most people probably wouldn't've even noticed.

But after a week, I noticed my ZW device connections (speed/routing) still weren't as good as my old C8... On a whim, I decided to try my old C8's antennas (I just swapped both because why not) -- my ZW connection #s all went back to rock-solid again, and have been great ever since.

3 Likes

Just to update this thread.
I switched back to the C8, and so far all is fine.
Also, I reached out to support.

Just to confirm what happened, you did try swapping the antennas from either your other C8 or on the C8-Pro, and that did not help, correct?

1 Like

Yes, I swapped the antenna's with the ones from the original C8, and had the
same problem as posted above. :wink: Should have posted a response that
it did not change anything.

Thanks for asking.

1 Like

Weird - C8-Pro solved my long-standing Z-Wave problems, in particular w/some Z-Wave blinds that were troublesome on and off. Possible you have a HW issue.

Another thing you could try at some point if you're an inveterate tweaker like me, is to re-migrate from the C8. Full reset on the C8-Pro via Diagnostics tool, and then do a new backup/migrate process from the C8.

Just trying to help you find something to fill your not-so empty days, in case you're bored. :wink:

2 Likes

You made me laugh... :rofl:
Never bored. Inveterate, probably describe me.
I actually think believe there to be a HW problem. The fact is that the radios are
routing the same traffic, same location and one is just not working right.
Was almost as if there was no antenna on the C8-Pro. The number of Direct
connects dropped and had some weird routing. With the C8 back online, all
appears to be what I consider normal.

1 Like

The C8-Pro device was replaced. All seems to be working again.
Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.