Z-Wave Firmware update error and can't close dialog box

It is firmware downloaded to the hub that is updating the firmware on the z-wave radio that is on the hub.

When I updated mine, I minimized all z-wave reporting (switch, dimmer, power, contact, motion) and then updated. Went really quickly.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by minimizing z-wave reporting. I think I have virtually all logging/reporting off. Can you please give me an idea of what you are doing? Should I turn off the Z-Wave radio when I’m doing this or does it need to be on?

BTW what hub version or you on? I wonder if it could be something in the recent release.

1. Turned off all power reporting (from the device page of power reporting outlets - I have about 5-6 of these) before the updated.
  2. Made an attempt not to trigger any z-wave motion sensors or contact sensors during the update.

I already virtually all reporting off and as far as I know nothing was being triggered while I was trying to do the update.

BTW, I had done the update to 2.3.4.114 a few minutes before that and it went smoothly.

But I did see a message that one switch was doing excessive reporting. I went into the device and turned Enable Debug Logging off and set 19 to 32767 and 20 to 100 before I tried the firmware updates.

turning logging off does not stop reporting.. just doesnt log it.. reocmmend you diable this one and try again.

I air gapped the switch that Hubitat informed me had been giving excessive reports and then tried the firmware update again. It instantly gave me an error message that it failed to start. About 10-20 seconds later it gave me the same error message I posted at the start of this thread.

So I don't know why it is failing instantly or how to fix that.

I also still fail to understand why Hubitat would have created an error message that can't be closed. I have to literally close the browser to get it t go away. But at this point, I hope that is just an annoyance and a collateral issue. I say "hope" because that first couple of times I tried to do the firmware update it started but then crashed. (First time got past 44%, but very slowly, 2nd time it got to 15%, again, but very slowly). Since then I won't even start to run now.

Once you get error measage i believe you need to reboot hub, at least that is the only way it fixed it in my case.

I have seen other comments about when you go to the Z-Wave screen (with the update button), let it settle there for about 10 minutes before attempting an upgrade.

Took me 2 tries.

For an instant failure I would shut down the hub, pull power for 10 seconds and boot back up.

Probably an accident that got missed in Beta. Tagging @gopher.ny in case he needs to know.

1 Like

So after I gracefully shut it down, and powered it down from the wall for about 1 minute, I then restarted the hub. I had things to do so finally opened the Z-Wave details page about 2 hours later and let it sit there for just about 15 minutes. I then restarted the Z-Wave updater. This time it did complete (woo-hoo!) but I took 16:45 to load the software (it was going at a rate of about 1% every 10 seconds). It then took 32 seconds to finish for a total time of 17:15 minutes to do the update, which seems unexplainably long. But, at least it is done.

1 Like

That sounds about normal. Not sure how long mine took, I just walked away and came back later to see it wads done. It is very slow.

1 Like

OK. Thanks. Someone above had said it went very quickly.

Here is my current version:

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

I'm not sure how to read it. Am I now up to date?

yes

1 Like

Thank you. Can you please tell me how to read it so I can know for myself in the future what version it is?

Firmware 7.18

SDK 7.15

1 Like

Thanks. BTW, does the 18 in the version string that pops up twice mean anything? Otherwise it looks like it is just the #s at the very end: version:7, subVersion:15. Is that right?

This is the SDK version (software code) the hub is using, the protocol version/subversion is the firmware (code embedded in hardware) that the radio is using.

1 Like

Perhaps this information could be displayed as fields on the hub details page, instead of on a super secret decoder ring url? I know I would appreciate it being displayed in a pretty format.

@thebearmay probably does not want to insert a shameless plug for his driver, but I will for him.
This driver basically checks all the super secret urls for you and gives you a bunch of pretty info. You can even drop it on a dashboard tile and crate your own html termplate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.