Why Would You Buy a C-8?

I had to laugh out loud, b/c my typing is so slow that my question began way further up the thread and didn't get done until, like you said, it had practically been answered.

1 Like

That's usually how they roll.

2 Likes

I'm not going to argue that there are improvements that can be made, all platforms have those touch-points. Right now the focus is on the hardware upgrade and the improvements that can bring. That doesn't diminish the effect an improved UI could have, but we have to see advances in the platform as an evolution, it doesn't always cover everything we all want, It moves in often smaller increments, or in areas that are not always what we personally need. The most important thing is that the platform moves forward...

3 Likes

What about my C7 subscription? Will everything be transferred to the new C8? I would take my C7 offline permanently after migration.

@bobbyD answered a similar question in the Youtube stream, maybe he can answer in more detail here....?

2 Likes

@Bobbyd, also known as Rick :wink:

1 Like

We've all heard and/or sung this refrain before, but I would counter that the current UI is intentionally lightweight. Not just for bandwidth purposes, but ease of editing, refactoring, and overall approachability for general users who want to try their hand at development. That "ugly UI" is surely paying dividends for the HE team, and in turn, us users.

I don't have a closet full of competitors' hubs lying around to compare with, but in passing I cannot say I've heard of any/many that allow copy-and-paste coding, or provide firmware updates on the reg, the way Elevation series does. Whereas interfaces like Google Docs with all its Ajax and heavyweight JV/JS apps only grow slower (to load and use) and more cumbersome by the month.

2 Likes

As an EE that has designed and developed some extremely sophisticated/complex SW/HW projects, I can safely and accurately say that a good UI is essential to the success of any product. A well thought out UI appeals to potential buyers and sells product. Make it appealing to the target audience, sell more product -- and bury the competition. The first thing a user sees is how well the UI is implemented. Just sayin'.

4 Likes

While I may ask for UI "conversations" to find another Lounge, those are at least two interesting contrasting points of view....

And the ability to roll back easily. Most hubs do not allow this.

2 Likes

While I'm not normally one for trying to stay on-topic.... I would say that the UI and the software more generally on the HE platform is largely Hub-version agnostic, i.e. it doesn't matter what Hub version you are running, aside from a small number of key differences between hubs.

The UI is definitely a divisive element that some are happy / willing to see continue while others want to see progress or re-developed. Either way, this does not relate directly to the hardware upgrade we are celebrating in the C-8.

5 Likes

Concur, except to say that it does relate, b/c I've watched other teams scramble to toss in more RAM or upgrade to the latest-and-greatest CPU all in the name of "power", whereas Hubitat has very wisely pivoted on the same general chassis because they could with such a forgiving (slim) OS. Sure, they included WiFi on the new controller, but that's a 40-cent part and a minor hop in (hardware layer) complexity.

Just sayin' I see the UI as strongly representative of a series of wise choices made by the team since inception. Even the team itself is lightweight, if you think about it; no office full of UX and GUI wonks to pay and maintain.

Long live the C-8!

2 Likes

To be fair, I'm a Data Engineer, so I work closely on a regular basis with those delivering analytics to end-users, but it is not my primary focus.... Essentially, I get the end-user experience angle and how it impacts the appreciation people have for the end-product we all contribute to.... But I am also conscious of keeping the conversation relevant, and do not want people / new-users to feel put off by conversations about other things that don't directly relate to the C-8 upgrade...

Compared some the others here, my setup is small. One C-5, I hesitated to buy a C-7 on holiday sales expecting a new model and here it is. Finally. On order.
The C-8 introduction web page says very little about what comes in the box.
My C-5 is powered from a USB-A port on a plug extender with USB-A that also powers a Pi Zero PiHole.

Does the C-8 use a USB-C wall wart with USB-C to USB-C cable or a USB-A wall wart with a USB-A to USB-C cable?

My UPS has a limited number of outlets and it is fully loaded as it is.
Knowing the power cable setup will help me plan and order a multi-USB-C wall wart if needed.

On the low shelf, the white blob to right of the big black blob (UPS and such) is the outlet extender with USB-A outlets. The Pi 4 on the wood box on the lowest shelf is running PiHole, HomeBridge, and Infinitive with the RS-485 interface on the little circuit board wired as TTL serial to the Pi 4.

Very happy with Hubitat. Not shown is the Konnected board in the alarm panel.

Cheers all,
Steve

1 Like

Good or bad, I bought some USB-A power hubs a while ago, from memory Anker brand. Provides power to my HE's, SensorPush Gateway, maybe my EcoWitt.... plus a few others.... I also use the same hub at my Study desk for charging devices that are problematic when Windows considers them as in charging mode....

I do feel like I should have created a popular topic earlier in the evening... :wink:

And it has a USB-C connector rather than the more fragile micro-USB.

See the Amazon listing for pictures of what's in the box.

1 Like

Does it operate on PoE?