Why do I want Pushover?

How hard would this be to set up for a dumbass like me? I've got Spectrum (Charter) and Yahoo mail. I like that this would work on a dumb (like me) phone.

Mind sharing what modifications you made?

It's pretty simple...sort of like setting up your email info into an email app, you just need your email provider's email server/port info, and the email address to send emails to your phone as texts...most major ISPs support that. For Verizon, for example, it's phonenumber@vtext.com, e.g., 3435828574@vtext.com sends and email that arrives at your phone as a text. Example below

There's info and links at the Sendmail thread, and the developer, @kahn-hubitat has been helpful w/folks setting it up. You can't use your Gmail account to do this as Gmail and Hotmail don't support it, but if your ISP provides an email that can work.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I now have an isp email, and will pursue this.

1 Like

I'll warn @kahn-hubitat. :wink:

1 Like

oh, no, i did not make the modifications myself :wink:

Please see this link with modified driver and how to use the extra functions.

1 Like

Which version of the beta are you running? I see that 4.0.4.0 was just released earlier today. Is that the one I want?

Yes, I am on the beta not the "normal" version. If 4.0.4.0 is the latest, I would install that one. I use Hubitat Package Manager, so I don't pay lots of attention to versions. I just click update when one comes out.

If you haven't tried HPM, you should. It makes installing, managing, and updating things like this MUCH easier.

1 Like

I just started using pushover. It's on mine and my wife's phone and I have it set to sync notifications. So we both get a notification that the washer/dryer/dishwasher is done and when we swipe the notification away, it lets the other person know it's been taken care of.

1 Like

Nice. I didn’t know it did that.

I just got SendMail working. What I like is that I can get notifications even if I have the phone's mobile network turned off (to conserve power, or whatever), and that it would indeed work on a dumb phone. Pushover is quite nice as well, but needs the mobile network, and an app to work.

1 Like

Exactly...I like that about sendmail as well.

Plus, I believe either can be set up to send to more than one address.

It'd be nice if the notifications could be more finely filtered to, say, if mail arrives it could go to one address, and if there's a leak it could go to another, or both.

I'm not sure Pushover can do this, even with buying another subscription, and I'm pretty sure SendMail can't, since you only have the one device.

May be able to set up some filters in your email account to forward based on keywords in subject or body.

1 Like

all apps that support notification support going to multiple people.. you can setup another push or sendmail to go to a different person as well and select multiple notification devices..

i do just as you say for certain ones like leaks or temps too hot or cold i send to my wife and myself.

2 Likes

I never thought of that: just add another device!

1 Like

You don't.

2 Likes

Well if you are going to take that attitude, then why can we not just manually flip the switch?

:joy:

Errrr actually I do just that for most of my home despite having HE :smiley:

1 Like

I have a sendmail device for myself, wife, and son who's still at home, and my brother (for leak notifications if we're away on vacation, which sadly never happens any more).

For my brother I add a subject line identifying the text is from me in his device page so when he gets the text remembers it's "me" and not some text spam.

2 Likes