Why do I want Pushover?

I'm new to Hubitat - a bit of a learning curve but after a few hours of tinkering, I really like (most of) it.

I've been reading about notifications and I don't understand why so many people keep recommending Pushover. Why do I need or want Pushover when the native mobile app gives me push notifications? Does Pushover give me something extra or more reliable? Is anyone using Pushover for things other than Hubitat notifications - sort of like a notifications hub? If you do use Pushover, why don't you use the Hubitat mobile app? Maybe you use both. Why?

What am I missing?

Thank you.

3 Likes

First, it's notable that the Hubitat platform predates the Hubitat mobile app, and even today, any function is totally optional and can also be provided via other means. You've just found one of them--Pushover is one option people used before the mobile app. If you happened to see posts from 2018, then that was probably the case. Some people continue to use it or choose it instead of the app because there are some additional features it supports, like "priority notifications." If you don't see a use for it, then I wouldn't bother. If you do, it's at least cheap. But if you don't, the Hubitat app is free. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Personally I use Push-over for the following reasons;

1. The integrations let you choose "Normal" v.s. "High priority". So now on iOS I can have a notification about a water leak or someone turning my home alarm OFF while on vacation interrupt my quiet hours/sleep mode on my iOS device. And other notifications can just be normal
  2. History. I really like having full rich history I can comb over to see what has happened.
  3. Backup - For super important things like HSM/Water sensors/alarm, etc. I like having two systems notify me -> HE proper through their webapp and pushover.

#1 is the main reason for me though

I'm sure there are others.

2 Likes

Pushover has been a real step ahead of SMS texts for me! Here is my list of reason why I switched:

1. SMS texts are sent "best effort" through the legacy phone system network and have some limitations for size and rich text of the message. Sometimes they get lost...
  2. Most platforms are limiting or deleting access to this SMS interface in favor of 3rd party messaging services like Pushover which can deliver messages globally.
  3. Pushover is inexpensive and a one time charge per device type.
  4. Pushover is reliable, and allows unlimited organization categories, html, images, sounds, priorities, lengthy text messages, email interface, etc...
3 Likes

I never saw a need for Pushover, so I just use the mobile apps to push alerts. Or speak them via Echo Speaks.

5 Likes

Pushover is good if you have multiple platforms, such as Node-RED that also send push notifications. One stop shopping per say.

2 Likes

I now just use the Node-RED email node for all my alerting fun. Am very reluctant to be reliant on a cloud service these days.

4 Likes

I only installed pushover 3-4 months ... ok maybe 6

On my iPhone I have it setup for do not disturb from 10pm-6am. But if my leak sensors are going off I want to know.

Plus I like using the different sounds. Everything with the HE app sounds the same on the iPhone. Pushover allows me to make different sound based on type of event.

Also using the modified drive I can have log messages come in at low priority. Things I like to keep track of, like the monthly charging of the ebike battery but I don’t need my phone going bing. I just want it in the history.

Can also install the key on multiple hubs so I can push notifications from any hub.

4 Likes

this:, i use it to send notifications to all the phones in family, plus my chromecasts with google TV, Pixelbook, and PC's

3 Likes

Wait a sec. I thought I had read that speaking over Echo was problematic because of some sort of caching issue that needs refreshed frequently.

Is that no longer the case or do you live with the caching issue?

I'd love for Hubitat to speak over my Echo devices.

Oh, that's cool. How's it work with Chromecast? Does it pop up a notification bubble over whatever you're watching?

Echo Speaks, especially this latest (beta) version, works terrific. It basically always has worked OK, but the Hubitat optimized version is fast, and much less processor intensive.

2 Likes

It works with an app called pushTV. Yep a notification pops up in the top right hand corner and it plays a notification sound. It works on android tv and the new chromecast with google tv. (not the regular chromecast)

2 Likes

The mobile app notfications work as long as you have the mobile app installed on all the devices you want notified. My wife and son just do not want "Another dumb app" on their phones, so being able to send texts to them works best for us.

Importantly, I can even send texts to anyone who's mobile number I have. I have some events set up to notify my brother who lives nearby, and all I need to do that was enter his phone number (and get his permission to include him in the notifications). :slight_smile:

I don't use the mobile app at all myself, and send emails and text messages from Hubitat using Sendmail, a community developed email/test messaging driver. You can read more about it here. Free!

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. There's great info here.

How hard would this be to set up for a dumbass like me? I've got Spectrum (Charter) and Yahoo mail. I like that this would work on a dumb (like me) phone.

Mind sharing what modifications you made?

It's pretty simple...sort of like setting up your email info into an email app, you just need your email provider's email server/port info, and the email address to send emails to your phone as texts...most major ISPs support that. For Verizon, for example, it's phonenumber@vtext.com, e.g., 3435828574@vtext.com sends and email that arrives at your phone as a text. Example below

There's info and links at the Sendmail thread, and the developer, @kahn-hubitat has been helpful w/folks setting it up. You can't use your Gmail account to do this as Gmail and Hotmail don't support it, but if your ISP provides an email that can work.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I now have an isp email, and will pursue this.

1 Like

I'll warn @kahn-hubitat. :wink:

1 Like