Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

Saddest thing is I have 4-5 of the wall relays? The ones with the screens sitting new in a box. Maybe I'll see if they can be hacked.

BTW why isn't Amazon covering crap returns? I know dumb question.

You didn't get me at all. I was just asking why the hell you would buy from Amazon if you had a choice of buying directly from HE and enjoy being their direct customer?

Sorry if I misunderstood. Answer: Convenience and delivery time.

Support is equal in both cases, except in the case of returns or exchanges.

2 Likes

Because shipping to Canada from HE is $$$, while shipping through AmazonGlobal is $, and there is not surprise $$ grab from customs.

2 Likes

You guys are freaking me out :rofl: !! I just pulled the trigger on Amazon 10 minutes ago.

Now to replace Wink and figure out all the devices that will/won't work.

No fear. I think we are just arguing for something to do at this point. :slight_smile:

You should be very happy with your purchase. I have 3 hubs, ordered two from Amazon and one direct from Hubitat.

You're fine either way.

If I were to buy a 4th hub, I would but it directly from Hubitat as I know and trust them now. But if I were new to the product I would still order from Amazon as it gives you security in returnability and delivery speed. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

It was the USA only case @cybrmage.

Thanks, I'm hoping it's an adventure and not a grind to set this up.

1 Like

Look at it like this...

"Wink is no more and all the devices that are connected to it will no longer work"...

Then, as you add the devices to your Hubitat, each one that connects and works is a pleasant surprise....

7 Likes

Then you consciously deprive HE of 10% revenue for your imagined better returns? Heave you checked that or just imagined?

1 Like

I'm sure if the HE team believes being on Amazon is a bad decision they'll stop selling it there. They are choosing to list it on Amazon, no one is forcing them. My gut tells me they make are making more money off of being on Amazon than they would gain by losing the exposure of being on Amazon. To be clear, while I bought from HE directly, I would have NEVER bought this up without reading a bunch of reviews on Amazon first.

5 Likes

It's been only 2 hours since a principle of Hubitat commented on THIS thread. If that level of interaction and responsiveness isn't enough to 'prove' their unbiased (by where you bought the hub) support, I'm not sure what testimonials would. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

By all means buy where HE make the least. Then expect the most of them.

Tell that to my wife, I'm heading into the field for 2 weeks, she and the kids will be the installers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Some interesting points in the thread here. However, it's completely strayed from the original post. I was fortunate to buy the HE on sale months ago, and I'm sure I'd also pay the current price if I hadn't done that back then.

The problem is the optics of changing the price dramatically, hours after the Wink announcement. You all can argue until you're blue in the face about what a reasonable price is for the HE. If a recently screwed Wink owner suspects shenanigans from Hubitat...

You are right. Happy to restate my questions to be more explicit. No, they aren't geared at solving my technology puzzle, so me dumping my six platform, 100+ device set-up on a thread isn't going to be the use of everyone's time.

Every single HE user on this site, especially those who are active, have a different story of why they ended up with HE and what they see now. I'm looking for those who have carefully evaluated aspects that are beyond just the technology for a resilient home platform. This gets into the legal control, IP, roadmap commitment, etc. I lived through the Ninja Blocks days. Remember them? Full of promise, ultimately, that didn't happen. Wink came along- more strategic in selling channels, partnerships, etc. Their inability to tier their freemium model to a long-term sustaining model and overall mismanagement is their undoing. I won't even get into Arlo. And I have questions on Hubitat.

Perhaps being this direct isn't the best way to get at answers that are being asked by other Wink users, but I thought it would be expedient, considering the short time table that some of us are facing.

I'll attempt to set up a new post as not to be buried under all of these cross-threads... Please look for it either tonight or tomorrow. I appreciate all the constructive input so far!

I'd pay for proper harmony integration!

I'd be really curious to know -- I know HE emphasizes local control, but they do have several cloud integrations (Alexa, Google Home, Life360, Ecobee, etc.). How much of it is HE doesn't want to integrate with "the big guys" (Harmony, Lutron, Ring, Nest, Arlo, etc.) and how much of it is the big guys don't want to integrate with HE? Like if Logitech went up to HE and said "sure we'd love to have you as a partner, the licensing fee is $1 million" I suspect HE is so small they can't afford that whereas Samsung says "sounds good to us" or even they pretty much convince Logitech that THEY value from having attachment to Samsung and get it for free.

Honestly, if you want these integrations, I bet a better solution (though it still goes no where) is to ask those other vendors why they don't integrate with HE, not why HE doesn't integrate with them. I suspect if you actually got ahold of someone at Logitech (not just their support@ email address) you'd get a response like "what the heck is Hubitat? Never heard of it."

3 Likes

You may be right on this. Also why HE isn't going to the outer space along with that guy filming his first pictures there - Tom Cruise.
Out of curiosity - how much did you pay for your hub?