Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

Hubitat is "special" in they insist Amazon send them EVERY return. Most don't and it's why last month I got a Yale Lock from Amazon, clearly opened, but all intact.. that was defective. I contacted Yale, they replaced it. Took WEEKS longer, but I got an actually new Lock.

Obviously I don't know if the original owner of the failed Lock returned it as defective, and Amazon didn't handle the box correctly, but for me, it's Amazon at fault.. not Yale. It's Yale that made the broken/defective device, it should be them that gets the blame, but because of the obvious fail by Amazon, it's Amazon that gets the blame in my mind.

3 Likes

What's the reason you guys based in the US buy from Amazon instead of HE's site?

3 Likes

Not sure. I bought mine directly from Hubitat (at the time they used shopify.com as their purchase processor).

2 Likes

I buy everything from Amazon. Lol

So, for convenience and fast shipping.

6 Likes

If it was sold by and shipped by Amazon, odds are good that it was defective from the factory since they buy from distributors or the factory itself. If it was sold by "vendor-x" and shipped by Amazon, it could have been returned, defective, or seconds or even a pallet repurchase from Amazon. Amazon does not attest to what vendor-x puts in the box.

Why didn't you just exchange it with Amazon instead of going the Yale route?

Buy from HE directly if your're based in USA. Why not for the sake of it?
You get much better support and returns service when bought directly.

Why do some of us buy from Amazon? I ordered my HE on a Friday night and it was delivered to my front door Sunday (yes, Sunday) afternoon.

2 Likes

I bought from HE directly but often I prefer Amazon. Why? Honestly, I've had small retailers sometimes fight me on returns. I have to pay return shipping, restocking fees, I was told one time that the product I sent back as defective was "really working" and they wouldn't refund me and I could pay them (after paying return shipping) to have them ship it back to me. It was BS. As a consumer, I often feel like the added layer of Amazon protects me from retailers who are sometimes con artists. That said, I had no problems ordering from HE... but how would I know that at the time? While people definitely abuse Amazon's return policies, there are also retailers out there who do bad things too and as a consumer, I'm more worried about protecting me than I am the businesses I buy from.

4 Likes

@dman2306
Sorry for the words but bull shit it is all the way.
HE gets you an exceptional service you haven't tried yet.
You bought directly from HE but you praise Amazon like you have nothing else to do.

No idea what your message means at all. I've been an HE customer for over a year, not sure what you're talking about?

6 Likes

I bought from Amazon and still got excellent support from Hubitat on that device when it went bad.

I'm not sure exactly what you are arguing at this point.

If you are arguing that we should buy from then directly as they get higher profit. Ok, that's a position I understand.

If you are saying never buy anything from Amazon because they are evil, that's ok. I just I disagree - which is fine too.

4 Likes

They will get you better service directly. And they, yes, will get higher profit.

They're not. They just take 10%. And they cannot issue a simple EU VAT invoice.

1 Like

Well, eu vat isn't my problem.

And you specifically asked why people in the US didn't buy direct... Eu vat doesn't apply to them.

In the end they can sell on Amazon or not sell on Amazon. Their choice. I will say I probably never would have bought my first one if they weren't on Amazon though...

So at times it is a choice of lower profit margin, or no sale at all.

3 Likes

How is that relevant? LOL

Because that was the question you asked... So why are you throwing eu vat in the discussion? That had nothing to do with your original question.

1 Like

Because your US Amazon cannot issue an EU VAT invoice and their assistants don't even know what it is.

That was your question/statement. That has nothing to do with eu purchases or eu vat. Period.

But anyway, we are just arguing semantics now. It doesn't matter, and I apologize for carrying it on this long.

1 Like

I painted a bullseye on mine, just waiting for the weekend...

5 Likes

send me a video if you do!, I've been thinking about doing a short of various unloved HA products meeting their demise...

9 Likes