Why did the Hubitat Hub jump to $129.95

Hey!
I’m not that cheap! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I was actually thinking the same thing...

I pay for a number of developers at work, and 1 80k a year doesn't go as far as you might think. :slight_smile:

But I understand his point. There is some amount of developer time that could potentially be paid for with subscription services.

Yeah, when you factor in benefits and everything, a seasoned sr/lead developer is going to cost you $150-$200k. But a small company like HE can always offset salary with equity :wink:

I'd work equity only [no monetary salary] as long as it didn't interfere with my day job. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Why would they do that when you guys are pumping out apps for free?? :wink:

4 Likes

Just bring me a C7 hub already, with 10x the power/speed and twin z-wave & zigbee radios, Bluetooth, WiFi for 299 bucks.

1 Like

In my opinion HE is worth at least $200 a hub. I'm in EU and perhaps I'm saying this to EU consumers only. The choice we have over here is ridiculous. HE is so universal - multi platform Z-Wave, ZigBee, LAN.
If you are in EU you can get other hubs so get them but you will end up buying HE anyways at the end of the day.

2 Likes

I think $130-150 is the right price for Hubitat. I wouldn't have paid more for it originally, nor would I now that I've used it for 18 months.

But everyone's uses are different. I pretty much just use it as an i/o hub and do logic and cloud integrations on platforms more suited/performant for those functions.

Although I still use life360 on the hub, and that is cloud. The life360 integration works really well for me in Hubitat. So :+1: on that.

1 Like

That’s not a lot if u factor in subs. What do you think are the hubs user base?

At a higher price point than that, it would have to have more resilient to operator error (badly written rules, drivers, apps etc. etc.).

5 Likes

I've said multiple times I would pay more for more functions though.

Things like... Zwave mesh mapping/diagnostic, zigbee mesh mapping, decoupled logic module that runs on a second piece of hardware, full 100% device integration between multiple hubs, better google home integration (fans, scene activation that doesn't complain everytime after it triggers), Chromecast support that doesn't clobber the hub, etc.

4 Likes

Well here's one reason why its currently priced at 129.95...
A return today from Amazon.

18 Likes

Ugh. Freaking Amazon returns. People should be ashamed of themselves.

6 Likes

I hate that bullshit. And I hate the people that do it.

9 Likes

Isn't it Amazon's fault for putting the burden on the seller and making it so easy for the customer to do? Again, Amazon gets my goat. Stop buying things from Amazon, guys.

4 Likes

Presumably Hubitat knows the MAC address of the stolen HE. Can Hubitat not block it from registering?

9 Likes

You are absolutely right. I simply love my HE.

Assuming they do not. But they should.

1 Like

Return stuff?
Every local shop I go to (hardware store, toy store, etc.) has some form of return policy, and the good ones make it really easy. My local hardware store doesn't even ask for a receipt or scan it. If they sold it or currently sell it they will take it back.

Large companies like Coscto, etc do the same.

But, buying local is key for me, regardless.

Not referring to returning stuff. I'm referring to those who do not return stuff. Like purchasing a Hubitat Elevation, requesting a return, and sending back a Wink hub instead (see @mike.maxwell's post). That's theft, and that's the kind of person I find distasteful.

14 Likes