Which PIR in gang wallplate beside Lutron Caseta switches

I'm building out my basement, and I'm using Lutron Caseta switches. They have been far-and-away the most reliable devices I've bought, and also they have a high WAF. But, I'd like them activated by motion. If I can get a PIR in the gang beside the light switches, that might be ideal, rather than doing some other ceiling or surface mount PIR.

Any suggestion for gang PIRs that work well and would look good beside the Lutron switches?

They'll control the ceiling lights, which I think will be dumb 4" LED disks.

Longtime ST user, just ordered a hubitat. My best PIR so far is the SmartThings PIR, but, it's not suitable for wall-plate installation.

I have seen plenty of in-wall motion sensor/smart switch combos, but I have not seen any stand-alone in-wall sensors. Googling "in wall motion sensor" only shows sensor/switch combo units, from what I can tell.

I can see how installing a non-Caseta switch in an otherwise all Caseta installation would not be ideal, but that may be your only option if you absolutely don't want to use a wall-mounted sensor. While Lutron does make switches with the built-in sensor, it doesn't seem like they make one in the Caseta family, unfortunately.

This GE switch might be a good option if you are willing to install a non-Caseta switch:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Someone else might know of a product that I do not.

1 Like

AFAIK GE/Jasco makes the only smart switch with a motion sensor built-in, and I've never seen a standalone smart PIR sensor that wires into a standard electrical switch box.

2 Likes

You probably know about the new Caseta PIR sensor... it isn't box mountable (although I might consider some mod's to make it so ??) but at least it is Lutron and Caseta...??

1 Like

This is an option as well ...

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Multisensor-temperature-humidity-vibration/dp/B0151Z8ZQY/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=Aeotec+wall+mount&qid=1603305874&s=hi&sr=1-12

There’s a mount that lets you recess The sensor for a more flush look

The GE/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Smart Motion Switch / Dimmer (26931 / 26933 - I’ve got several), mentioned above, are very nice when coupled with @JasonJoel’s Component Driver that separates the motion sensor and Switch/Dimmer into separate devices and allows changing the mode (occupancy, vacancy, manual) under automation control. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

No, I had no idea. Thanks for the idea. The Caseta occupancy sensor is probably the way to go. Would this show up in Hubitat as a device? The Caseta Pico remotes don't show up in Smartthings as devices, so if I want to use Pico remotes to control other things I have to use one of their switches as an intermediary.

IIRC someone contaced Lutron around the time they announced the Caseta occupancy sensor, and their response was that it won't support the Telnet connection needed to integrate with Hubitat.

2 Likes

Thanks! Just confirming, with a driver I could separate the "switch" part of this from the "motion sensor" part? For instance, I could use the motion sensor to turn on the adjacently mounted Caseta switches, while using the switch part to control, say, an accent light?

Correct, the motion sensor component can be used like any other motion sensor in hubitat. But you’d need to be able to configure the device itself to not turn on/off based on the built-in motion sensor if you intend to control a different set of lights than the load connected to the switch (probably possible, but I don’t have any of these myself).

1 Like

Yes. It truly appears as a motion sensor and as a switch. If you set the mode to “manual”, then the devices are fully decoupled, Configuration is in the parent, the child devices are just the built-in generic component motion sensor and generic component switch drivers. It’s really well done. Here are screenshots of the parent:

Edit: This page from the spec sheet explains the modes. When in “manual” mode, the load only turns on/off by the switch or under Z-Wave control. Also, when in “manual” mode, the motion sensor does nothing to the load, but still operates unless “disabled “. So, you can use the motion sensor in a Motion Lighting App (as I do) or Rule Machine.

2 Likes

Hey @marktheknife

Are you saying that even if you have the Lutron Hub you can't obtain status from the Lutron Caseta motion sensor through the HE Lutron Integration?

Correct, the caseta occupancy sensors can’t be seen by Hubitat, or other systems that leverage Lutron’s telnet connection.

That’s according to the information another community member obtained from Lutron customer support several months ago.

The wording suggests that could change in the future though (emphasis added by me):

1 Like

Correct. However, the motion sensor is exposed to Hubitat if you have an RA2 bridge.

Good grief :slight_smile: I am NOT buying any more bridges!!! :slight_smile: Thanks all!!!

2 Likes

:rofl:

The only thing I can think of would be to use a dumb motion (PIR) sensor like the Leviton OSS10-IDW. And tie that to a Zigbee or Zwave sensor input terminals, like the Ecolink DWZWAVE2.5-ECO door sensors has. You would also need a 120v relay to do this.

Or make your own with a blank wall plate, and drilling a hole to mount a standard Zigbee or Zwave sensor on the backside of the plate. Neither of those are great solutions.

In my house, very few of these wall mount sensors would work right anyway. You would have to wave your hand next to the door frame as you were entering otherwise you would be quite far into the room before the sensor could see you. Ceiling mount or high on the wall is much better to "see" the room.

Apologies for the old bump but this thread still seems to be state-of-the art for in-wall smart motion switches/dimmers.

The Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus In-Wall Smart Motion Switch, White is the still the only device I can find that fits the bill.

I would prefer this product in zigbee attire but none seems to exist. Also, considered cobbling together a standard off-the-shelf Leviton, Lutron, etc motion switch with a Sonoff ZBMINI but you'd still need a dry contact relay to make that work. Not worth the trouble, will change batteries for another while.

Does anyone know if there's a 12/24 or 120v mains powered ceiling-mounted motion sensor with a dry contact? That could then easily be tied to a ZBMINI for integration.

Thanks!