What Have You Added to Your Setup Recently?

I have a few extra but honestly I don't need them

1 for each leg
1 dryer
1 washer
1 water heater 1
1 water heater 2
1 HVAC unit (need to add this one)

1 Like

How big are the clamps? My electric box, like yours, is quite full, so though I’d like to have one of these, I’m not sure I could fit them in…

The 50's are really small (I use those for breakers) the ones for the legs (200's) are large but fit fine...

Sensor next to it for scale

Cool - Thanks!

1 Like

Not add, but move.

I moved a Fibaro ZW5, a Zooz ZSE29, and an Aeotec Doorbell/Siren 6 from a C-5 to a C-7 by using the Z-Wave stick and PC Controller technique to pair them to the C-7 without security. I am now down to one device on the C-5, a Schlage FE599. Once I move (or replace) that device, I can shut down the C-5 and run on the two C-7 hubs (one for Zigbee/Lutron and one for Z-Wave).

I have an Asustor NAS running Pi-hole.

Pi-hole is one of the many apps that the Asustor can install automatically. Go to the admin panel, click on "App Central", and follow your nose.

If I can do it, so can most anyone else!

Mike M

1 Like

Thanks for your reply referencing pihole. I have the pihole app for my Asustor nas but I don’t know how to use it. Do I set up in a Docker container or what. It is very confusing as there is no documentation. If you would like to send me a detailed pdf with all the instructions, that would be great. If you don’t want to, I understand.

4 pack of third reality zigbee smart plugs. So far so good. Not quite as good a router as Iris v2/v3 but for $7.50/ea I can't complain.

1 Like

I like how compact they are compared to the Ikea Tradfri ones.

They are also not as wide as the Sonoff S31 Lite ZB ones I have here.
Added bonus is they are ETL listed, unlike the Sonoff ones I have.

These just cleared customs yesterday. Will be using them in front of the house concealed in the shrubbery.... (sadly no Knights that say Ni!). These will also go towards future permanent holiday lighting when I figure that out (and get the time to do it)

1 Like

That's interesting... Apart from a Monty Python reference from an American (yes I know they had at least one big tour)..... I am considering a departure from my smart bulb setup and get a smart switch for a floodlight on my driveway.

Monthy Python is probably as big here as it is in the UK... Atleast for gen-x and baby boomers, lol.

That said I wanted the colors so I could change things during holidays. I eventually and going to also put up permanent individually addressable led's as well... (Will have to learn how to program them) for holidays and what not. @snell seems to like them based on a older post GLEDOPTO ZigBee 10W RGB+CCT Flood Light Review . The only diff between his and the ones I got are that mine are zigbee 3.0. If they end up not being bright enough, I'll relegate them to the back yard and get the 30w's for the front of the house. Though my house is only 40' wide at the front, 3 of the 10w should be enough.

1 Like

I'll e making a slow start on outside lighting sometime soon. After a mix-up with Amazon I received 1 of two outdoor Hue motion sensors recently, with another on it's way. I initially want to use them to detect light levels outside to drive light settings inside the house. I will eventually look at using one to trigger a smart switch like I talked about in my last post for my floodlight on the driveway, but don't have the smart switch yet....

2 Likes

What I've done recently is switch my home "HE + Node-RED" setup to "HE + Home Assistant with the Node-RED addon". This has allowed me to play around with some of the cool features HA provides on top of integrating directly into NR.. HA is now kind of a third party "capabilities" manager that allows me to test and manage various addons/integrations like Mosquitto MQTT server etc.

I should mention that this is only for my home system not my clients. The downsides are yet another layer of abstraction which means more potential issues and complications - hey, it's HA so complexity and despair lurk just beneath the surface! Also now at the mercy of the Node-RED addon maintainer in terms of NR updates etc.

Since HE provides the most stable and straightforward device management system plus some excellent apps it remains my primary device hub. It is nice to have options though and the ability to incorporate new features/capabilities without over-stressing my existing HE hub setup is great.

1 Like

The $16.99 is only for the 6-zone remote though. The actual 10W RGB Floodlight is $41.99 (after 50% off?!) which is crazy. The older one I bought back in 2019 was $31.99 from Amazon.

1 Like

Considering current supply and inflation, 10 buck difference isn't bad.. Got free shipping :grinning:

3 Likes

@snell What did you use for a plug on the bare pigtails? I'm just thinking of a longer grounded cord, soldered and then heat shrinked for water proofing.

Pretty much that. I had a long power cord... might have been from a shop-vac that died. I soldered it on with those waterproof heat shrink soldering tubes (the ones you heat that melts the solder and also the waterproofing material in it, then the tube itself around it all). I might have dipped that whole area into that liquid rubber stuff also for yet another layer.

1 Like

I'm thinking something along those lines but having the wires run under the dirt (about 6" down) and under the front porch to a receptacle instead of having exposed cords. (Can always crawl under the porch to unplug :slight_smile: )

You could always just run some real underground wire if you are going with a fixed position. Since mine gets moved with every time holiday I put it out for I needed the flexibility of a cord.

My wife has accepted me putting a couple PVC "post holes" in the yard for arches or such but I am not allowed to run permanent wiring out to a couple convenient areas... :frowning: