What Have You Added to Your Setup Recently?

Random question that will hopefully produce random results....

Some of us have relatively advanced or mature home automation setups, depending on your point of view :slight_smile: This thread is me wanting to explore what people have added to their setup, regardless of its maturity. You could be a noob adding Hue lights to your newly purchases HE. You could also be branching out to a raspberry pi or services hosted on a NAS... Or anything in between....

Aside from the interest factor, hopefully it may inform the general knowledge of what is popular, at least amongst those who frequent the Community.

For me it's not so much new physical tech, more so working on integrations, e.g. my SteelSeries Mousepad, continuing work on my Mitsubishi (Unified) A/C drivers, plus my Custom CSS Editor. And if I can sober up looking into a GrainFather driver :wink:

2 Likes

My most recent was a Xenon Smart Extension Lead Zigbee Surge Protector Power Strip 1.5M /5Ft with Individual Control 4 Outlet 2 USB Multi Plug Work Alexa|Google Assistant which I bought just because I wanted to try out a smart extension lead for the heck of it :smiley:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, expansion of my home automation/HE system has stalled lately. I have a fairly robust system that seems to be functioning well with few hiccups. The WAF is positive, mostly, so I have taken a break from adding anything new. I really enjoy writing webcore pistons that augment my system. But sadly, I have had to take a break from that as well because I just don't see any new applications at this time.

3 Likes

Obviously you need to introduce some error-prone element to justify some new tech.... :slight_smile: Have you tried turning off some Zigbee repeaters....? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I guess I was not completely honest above. My most recent addition was the Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch. I have a somewhat complex water system in my home that includes multiple leak sensors, flow-pressure-temperature monitors/regulators, reserve room temperature water tank, filtration system, and a sweet whole-home water pump from DAB. The Aeotec switch allows remote control of the DAB pump/pressure system in the event of a leak. The switch allows me to completely shut down the pump system, thus nearly eliminating water damage from a water system leak.

2 Likes

My latest addition was the Flume Water monitoring system. While not thrilled about the "cloud" aspect of the setup it seems to work as advertised. Also in conjunction with this added some Linkind Leak sensors.. inexpensive, a little bulky but paired right away and are reporting as expected.

1 Like

Yes. Therein lies the rub.

2 Likes

Absolutely! Which is why I added the Linkinds..

My most recent additions were Third Reality leak sensors, both pooling and drip detectors placed in locations where leaks may occur (water heater, washer, dishwasher, and under kitchen and bathroom sinks), and a LeakSmart 888000 Automatic Shut-Off Valve, all Zigbee. I know people who have had water damage, so I thought it would be a good idea to get the valve and have it installed. The sensors were easy to set up. There is no cloud needed for this setup so it will operate even if my Internet service goes out.

The biggest thing that kept me from doing this earlier is that we have polybutylene plumbing and I did not know the condition of the pipes. Turns out they are in great shape for the age of the house (built in 1992). Still, with the reputation of polybutylene, I wanted some insurance against leaks. I found it with this setup.

2 Likes

I am adding a Kasa Video Camera with motion, etc. It requires some development. Of course, I will have to develop the control and warning driver as well as try to figure out how to get connected to the dashboard and/or have a dashboard link to play the video in a browser. But one of the commands identifies the link to the stream as well as the lateste snapshot.

3 Likes

I have added a hot water recirculating pump, powered by a smart outlet. It works well but I am still deciding the best way to automate the on-off of the pump at appropriate times.

3 Likes

Most recently I've re added a couple of Fibaro Motion sensors that were sitting around unused. I've installed them in IP65 boxes externally - front and rear, with just the sensor window exposed and powered with 5V supply rather than the battery. I've added these to get external lights switching on more accurately. Sunset with offset gives variable results due to cloud cover and this solves the issue.

Slightly disconnected but relevant, I've added additional contacts to windows on my Honeywell Dimension alarm. As I'm using an MQTT integration in HE, and a Honeywell EvoHome integration, this has allowed me to use RM to switch off heating in individual rooms if the window is open for more than 30 seconds. The MQTT is also allowing me to use the alarm systems sensors for motion lighting in HE.

2 Likes

If you have an Android component to your system, you should consider [RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard - #1788 by jpage4500. Adding a video feed is quite easy.

2 Likes

Kudos for making the effort to bring together different platforms to get what you needed....

1 Like

Do you have any existing bathroom occupancy routines for lights, fans, etc?
If so, just use those to trigger the circulation pump.
It will trigger false events, like someone just going to the toilet will cause the pump to run unnecessarily, but it will solve the issue of having instant hot water when the sinks are opened. It will work until you can, or decide to, tweak it.

This does not take into account things like the laundry room or dishwasher.

Thanks. I’m quite surprised I got everything working as although I consider myself β€œtechie”, home automation has been a rude awakening for me! However with a lot of help from this community I’m learning all the time. I could probably name around 10 of you who regularly provide answers and assistance. This community and its members are the best.

2 Likes

I am still learning too. :wink:

My most recent routines THAT work.
Adding contacts to the pantry door to kick on the light above it powered by a smart switch. At some point in the future, I may install an LED strip inside the pantry so we can see the rear of those dark shelves.
I noticed the first few times my wife encountered it, she looked up at the light coming on, then off at the close of the door. After that, she has said nothing, No comments = WAF high.

Duplicated the idea with the hall closet, along with replacing the hall light with a nice bright LED bulb and smart switch.

I have to keep things simple and go long time periods before introducing new (buggy) things, else the WAF drops like a rock.

Currently working on bathroom occupancy for different times of day (modes) and discovered what I believe to be a bug in the GE Zigbee Dimmer driver OR in Simple Rules. The dimmer does not seem to respond to a Set Level (on) command whereas a GE Zwave dimmer switch in the bedroom does.

So beyond the issues your focus is bathroom occupancy for lighting.... A common request, including those that look at humidity and temperature as well...

1 Like

Temperature/humidity adjustments to the ceiling fans at night are in the future.

This can be huge when females hit a certain point in life. If you can develop something that monitors hormone levels, then adjusts temperature and air circulation, you should be able to retire both rich and famous. Perhaps even revered.

2 Likes

One of the things I've started to do that has met with approval is turning on the exhaust fan for a brief period AFTER the bathroom lights turn off. For showers etc also test for humidity as well because you want the fan running as the humidity builds.

1 Like