What happened to Smartly for Dashboards?

Didn't know it was such a loaded question huh? :gun:

I was just thinking, someone come into this thread with no knowledge of the events, must think we've all lost our minds.
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

and you still can :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I finally got it all sorted! TY!

2 Likes

LOL .... I had no Idea!!! .... just an innocent newbie that was wondering where all the threads went..LOL

3 Likes

I have 16 Teckin SP10 simple plug ins. I actually reverted to markusā€™s previous driver that was much simpler - v0.93. It doesnā€™t have all the overhead and I donā€™t have all of this crazy parent - child driver stuff for one device. Once I started using hub mesh and couldnā€™t hide the parents devices, if reverting the driver didnā€™t work I would have thrown them all out.

2 Likes

You might wanna hold on to some of those for a bit. Just a thought.

Why? Is Hubitat adding support for them? Or is there an alternative Groovy driver in development?

Because I know that as a person of integrity you would not be subtly advertising the upcoming availability of an alternative controller on Hubitat's forums.

2 Likes

because of the aforementioned seek for new devs, and as I've always said "the only thing that stays the same, is nothing stays the same"

As much as @JasonJoel believes the POSWhatevaTheHeck will always be supported so may Tosmota devices. I'd hate to see anyone toss tons of devices on the "perception" of FUD.

Or did I miss a few post?

EDIT: and as mentioned I know nothing of these devices or what it takes to support them. I have, and always do, speak only from my experience and view point.

1 Like

This thread was timely for me...not sure what happened politically and don't have the time in my life right now to be nosey. But I was using smartly and needed to do some updates to a dashboard and got REALLY confused trying to find the information. Thanks to this thread I'm back on track and thankfully what I needed for a simple change I got taken care of without having to completely re-do a dashboard.

6 Likes

I'm confused I've seen people discuss many new & alternative platforms/hubs on here. Are you saying we shouldn't or it is somehow "wrong". Just for the record I now have 4 other setups, mostly resulting from discussions here. ST/Hue/Xiaomi/HA/Lightify and HE. The more the merrier, no?

Wait-was that sarcasm?

1 Like

I couldn't agree more. HE becomes even more powerful when you connect varios other hub solutions to it. Case in point in my houshold;

1. HE
  2. Luntron Hub
  3. Homebridge
  4. Node-Red rPI

If an HE/HA integration ever materializes, I'll probably add that to take advantage of some of the integrations done there. To me, that's what makes HE so amazing.

Already exists... :wink:

This will get Hubitat Devices into Home Assistant.

And this can be used to get Home Assistant Devices into Hubitat

You just have to be careful not to create a Circular Loop where devices keep replicating between both systems... In other words, don't use both at once on the same hub or you could make a mess! :wink:

6 Likes

And more than just a single integration.

2 Likes

True but thereā€™s a difference between users discussing competing products, and a competitor startup (or their proponents among the community) stirring the pot.

2 Likes

Found the issue.

Sure Smartthings is a competitor, but they don't come here and recruit. Just like they kick people off their forums when Hubitat users crap on ST hubs. I think it is bad manners to do so on either part.

It would be nice if the "other hub" people and users here would move on and stop stirring things up. It does no good to rehash this over and over again. Things are the way they are, decisions were made by both parties. No amount of anguish or outrage on the community's part will solve this.

4 Likes

I have no vested interest in any one product (although I do own 3 HE's :grinning:) but tbh I haven't seen any pot stirring except maybe 1 or 2 fairly subtle posts IIRC (which prob should not have been done).

They don't have to. ST has been around longer and I'm pretty sure it has a larger installed base and brand awareness despite the hub's shortcomings.

Fair point (about ST). But should Hubitat (the company) tolerate competitors advertising their goods and services on community forums that Hubitat (the company) pays to host and support?

There are plenty of other places to do that.

3 Likes

I think you missed the basic point, maybe that was a bad example. So substitute Home Assistant or Vera or whatever here. Either way, it is bad form.

2 Likes

Slight distinction here. Home Assistant is (so far) not a commercial product, although they do/did offer a branded Odroid N2 for sale. So it isn't a commercial competitor in the same space.

OTOH, Vera is. So if someone from Ezlo came along and overtly or subtly hawked their latest hardware, I would expect Hubitat to kick them off the Hubitat community forums.

5 Likes

There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around, related to this specific thread I personally haven't once seen anyone involved in this awesome HE community app/solution advertising competitive hub(s), and I religiously tracked and had notifications and email alerts on the Smartly threads and I was very invested in making my Dashboards usable for my Wife/Kids, and as i mentioned before, gladly provided feedback on and helped other users with issues like I am doing for the Ring app and others.

If you participated as much as I did, or more, and did see those things, feel free to speak up or DM me an example, as I'm happy to be wrong. But assumptions don't help here, in fact they only do harm to this community - and to be frank, undermine the time some of us spend here without any affiliation to said people/things but are here to be as helpful to others as those who have been helpful to us (me) in our SmartHome journeys.

It's why the deletion of full on threads v.s. any offending posts isn't just about said individuals, it hurts all of us in the community (as eloquently stated above by others), and in particular us neutrals who are the biggest HE fans spending our free unpaid time helping others be successful on this platform. Personally I expect more than that, as creating strong healthy communities takes patience, grit and empathy- this isn't my first rodeo.

5 Likes