Weatherflow Tempest

You know at first I thought you had somehow placed it up at the top of the tree!
Since it dominates the picture. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My gen 1 weatherflow sometimes misses mist/very light rain too. Not a big deal to me, though.

Grabbed the post hole digger (I'm on my second heart and getting to old for that ā– ā– ā– ā–  tho... whew!) and now mine is 10' above my front yard on a steel tube. Hoping to find a way to keep the damn birds off of it and faking it into indicating there's a sudden downpour. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Just entered Shipping info the the finished kickstarter. Already have a Netatmo system (with rain and wind sensors) it'll be interesting to compare the data from the systems.

There is a street light right in front of our house, I have a very tall ladder, tempted to strap it to the street light...

I just published a new driver for the Tempest. Enjoy!

6 Likes

reviving this thread. Are people still happy with their Tempest? Just discovered it today. Also see that other people's stations on are on the internet and you can poll those APIs .. Might just do that for a short bit

I just got one 2 months ago. I'm pretty happy with it. I do poll their REST API for forecast data, but everything else is obtained locally.

Mine has held up so far and generally seems accurate. For Hubitat I use the API exclusively (because I do not want to run another system that could get the data by UDP) and it has been more reliable than the Ambient API for uptime from what I have seen.

I really like mine. I find the forecast to be very accurate and I integrate with my Rachio for localized weather data. I use the wind speed/direction to control some exterior solar shades. I also use the lightening detection to announce lightening within 10 miles via outdoor Sonos speakers in the pool area.

Mine is working great. I use it for some automation rules, but unfortunately it doesn't sense snow needed for my gutter deicer system. Overall happy with it.

The API does return a "PrecipitationType" that can tell if it is snow, so you might be able to use that.

Interesting, when I looked for Precipitation Type values, I only see 0 (none), 1 (rain), 2 (hail), 3 (rain + hail) - experimental.

https://weatherflow.github.io/Tempest/api/udp/v143/

Also the WeatherFlow FAQ states it cannot detect snow. Do you know where/how I can see the Precipitation Type value for snow? Fortunately I'll have to wait a while to test it out since spring finally arrived in the upper midwest last month. :grin:

2 Likes

Same for the WS and REST APIs.

Ah darn it! I thought it was snow, but you are right it was hail. When I was working with the API a couple weeks ago I remembered the PrecipitationType... but forgot it was none, rain, hail... For some reason I was thinking it was none, rain, snow...

Sorry to have gotten your hopes up. It did prompt me to get the rain+hail support added though... so there was a slight silver lining.

I do not use the UDP API myself... but it looks like it is up to v171 now.

No worries! Thanks for confirming.

After looking at the website I think I can guess the answer to this.

Does the tempest Happen to support an external temperature sensor? Iā€™m wanting to measure water temperature of the lake where Iā€™m wanting to mount the weather station.

Nope.

But the ecowitt WiFi gateway (which has a local LAN integration with Hubitat) does. The gateway is inexpensive (~$30). And an ecowitt sensor with an immersible probe is about $70.

3 Likes

There are a couple different drivers that will work with the Ecowitt Gateway (I have one, based on my Ambient driver for example). I will mention it seems to work very well and the sensors are pretty reasonably priced.

1 Like

I have one of these in my swimming pool. Works great!

1 Like