Weatherflow Tempest

Crud! You are correct. I was focused on how it sends on a port and thinking of it like how the Ecowitt sends data to the hub and it can be parsed there... but these are a broadcast. So it may not be possible at all.

Does anyone have one of the v1 devices (I did not even know they existed) that I could toss a general "receiver" driver for?

I do. I pull the data into node-red (as it supports udp broadcasts), and parse all of the UDP messages there.

So I could do whatever testing on the Hubitat side without impacting my normal usage of the device.

Yup... I forgot about the "no-reading UDP broadcasts"... Just re-read the whole thread (and a couple related ones). What a bummer. I agree with your points in there JasonJoel... it would be nice if Hubitat allowed developers (and thus users) the option of monitoring other ports via their drivers.

So for now folks, UDP is not happening. I am going to reach out to WeatherFlow again (some other stuff) so I am going to check if there are any other workarounds.

WeatherFlow is supported by Weather-Display. I should be able to use either of my Hubitat Weather-Display drivers with the Tempest, with no changes in the drivers. I will just point Weather-Display at the Tempest instead of my other station. Weather-Display does use UDP to communicate with the weather station and then the data file that Weather-Display creates will be identical to the one used in the current Hubitat drivers. (That is my theory anyways and I'm stickin' to it.)

1 Like

I would think that would work.

I heard back from WeatherFlow and they insist that their device is UDP broadcast ONLY for the local network. It will not respond to any queries and there are no plans for that to change.

They also strongly recommended using the API (even over UDP). In any case, I have a driver ready for that when the time comes.

That matches what they have said in the past.

So I guess I'll stick with importing the UDP via Node-RED, and push whatever I need back to Hubitat. Really isn't a big deal to do it that way, took maybe 5 minutes total to setup w/zero code.

1 Like

Probably be a useful way to get "instant they occur" weather broadcasts from a WeatherFlow device and a backup if there is issues with their API. You could also redirect the messages to the HTTP port that Hubitat does listen to and have them processed by a driver (if there is demand for that it could be tied to the Tempest one I have made I think).

That is how the Ecowitt portion of my AmbientEcowitt works in any case. @christi999 set up the basics there.

Yup, just 2 different ways to do it. Unless the API yields info not in the UDP broadcasts this time (it did not w/v1.0), I think the UDP is a superior way of getting the data.

The data is broadcast via UDP (1x/min for most updates, 1x/3s for rapid wind) whether you like it or not, so it is"free" - zero load on the weatherflow hub, 100% local, 100% secure/read-only.

And at 1x/min updates, I can't see a real need for on-demand polling of the data via the API.

They indicated that the API offers more information over what the UDP provides. I told them that there are users that prefer to keep everything local if possible AND as a fallback to the API being unavailable (even for reasons outside their control). Ambient's problems lately would be a good example. Oh well... maybe enough customers will ask for it.

I think that’s the best bet. If they see sufficient demand from customers they might at least consider adjusting their priorities accordingly.

True. Although I would also like to be able to see Hubitat have a way to monitor a particular port and feed anything that arrives there to a specified driver. I think I might toss that over into the Feature Request category once I have it described a little better.

1 Like

Well, someone would have to prove that to me. If it does on v1, the "more information" obviously isn't anything I need/want.

I would assume if there is, that it is some of their crowdsourced rain correction data. I'm not that interested in that, as it shows up like a day later - not especially useful for automation use.

1 Like

I have now made a WeatherFlow API thread and provided the first release of my WeatherFlow API driver.

2 Likes

:grinning: :clap: :clap: :clap:

5 Likes

Nice!

Just make sure you mount it first, and then enjoy one of the adult beverages in the background of that pic :woozy_face:.

3 Likes

Fairly simple box for something with such a ferocious product name.

After noticing the adult beverages... is it just me or is there an open packaging to the left with a medical-style + symbol on it? Hopefully that is not considered necessary for mounting it. :grin:

Finally got mine. The little thing works!... Well! Now off to "plug it in" to HE.

Where and how is everyone placing theirs? My foolish self bought "pro" and now have to wait until like October :man_facepalming: Living vicariously, show me some love! :laughing:

1 Like