Water Flow shutoff valve's that work with HE

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I have a few old ecolink z-wave contact sensors with external inputs that should do the trick, if it’s not too hard to wire one in parallel.

Hello, I am looking for a water shut off valve solution for my home. Here is what I currently have:

I reached out to Dome and Econet and they said their products aren't compatible. Specifically this is what Econet said about the Bulldog:

Can anyone suggest a z-wave/zigbee solution for my setup that doesn't require plumbing work?

1 Like

I don't think that one exists.

2 Likes

I did a fair bit of searching lately (I have a friend that was also looking into controllable valves) and I have not seen any that would work with that handle in that amount of space. Pretty much every solution would require replacing that valve... but at the same time the space is very limited for many of them also.

I stumbled on at least on device that controls "normal" controllable valves, so that would all fit in that space, but they were very expensive. Those controllable valves are pretty pricey to begin with and then the controller was ~$400.

Appears you have room above and below the valve. You could find a larger box, replace the valve, and install the bigger box. My main shutoff is in a terrible spot in the wall of a coat closet with custom trim built around it. I ended up putting an additional Watercop shutoff valve in the crawl space before this main valve right after my PRV.

1 Like

@alexcapone , did you see this recent post?? This looks like it can handle that valve lever but you might have to expand the opening..

1 Like

Hey I saw that and was hopeful but I watched the video and it said it should be a ball valve which I dont think mine is. I also saw the video which shows the valve type that works:

Mine looks more like the valve that is incompatible. I'll reach out to Zooz anyway just to confirm.

Sorry - I see you posted a photo of your valve earlier in this thread. You definitely have a ball valve! So no worries on that account.

1 Like

That is a strange looking handle.. @alexcapone - does it require full rotation(s) to turn on/off? If it only rotates by 90 degrees wouldn't that be indicative of a ball valve?

1 Like

They call that a "T-handle" ball valve.

https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supplies-615T034-NL-Threaded-Handle/dp/B00MA9DLDC/ref=asc_df_B00MA9DLDC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198075593684&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3804168106177687810&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9025102&hvtargid=pla-350201564048&psc=1

Also, the handle can be replaced ....

1 Like

Oops I misread your earlier comment - I just realized you were saying it WAS a ball valve... so, yeah I agree that @alexcapone should be okay on that front.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I reached out to the construction manager of my home and he told me it is a 1” Pex ball valve. He also mentioned I could swap out with a single lever handle. I reached out to the Smartest House to see if that would work. Here is another close up of it:

I would probably need to remove the enclosure casing to meet the minimum clearance measurements.

With PEX, I would be hesitant to install anything other than an in-line valve.

1 Like

Thanks. I noticed you recommended leaksmart. I found an openbox 1" valve on ebay for $170.

Apart from Leaksmart and the Bulldog IV are there any other in line valve options that you all would recommend?

I would prefer z-wave because I ordered the new Zooz Zwave water leak sensors. If I have a Z-wave in-line option I assume I could set up associations between the shut off valve and the leak sensor. I also have a pretty strong mesh zwave network with Zooz switches throughout my house.

Having said that I would be willing to go with a zigbee option since it seems my options are limited for in-line zigbee/zwave. FYI, Watercop discontinued all z-wave products and I couldn't find any non-ATT branded z-wave on ebay. I found one open box zwave Fortrezz for $275 on ebay. For that price I could just buy a new Bulldog IV for $50 cheaper.

Sinopé makes an excellent zigbee valve also.

2 Likes

I have the Bulldog and am happy with it. Kind of expensive though. I also have used the Dome Shutoff valve which worked fine but was a bit flimsier.

1 Like

The Sinope Water Shutoff works great (via Zigbee). It also has a battery backup. Available from the company, but don't forget to tell them that you want the Zigbee version.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. I saw Sinopé has a ZigBee 3/4" PEX ready valve which is almost exactly what I need except my valve is 1" diameter.

Sorry I know nothing about plumbing. Is there a conversion fitting that would allow it to work with a 1" PEX valve?

Try the Sinope website...

Yes. You need two reducing couplers. Your plumber will know what to do.