USB-C UPS designed by the community for Hubitat

Cadillacs have never been sold in Aus, and even we get the reference - I think it's one of those cultural references that defied reality and has refused to die.

3 Likes

Wait, can we get POE for the UPS?

10 Likes

Perhaps, We've not considered it but with a little research I can't think of a reason it could not be done. Would add to the cost (and size) though.

Question: Do you have a functional topology in mind? Off hand I would think of:

POE cable --> UPS --> both ethernet connector and power connector outputs.

Do you think there is a wide market? BTW we are just a bunch of hobbyist's building these for fun.

3 Likes

It's certainly possible - however, it would add cost to an already premium solution. I'll look at what is needed - iirc PoE is 9v at a minimum and this is a 5v solution. So we'd need to step-down the voltage.

It was a joke guys... How about extra RAM?

12 Likes

I assume that's coming in the C8? :wink:

6 Likes

You've gotta work pretty hard w/this group to pre-date them. :wink:

Grinning and running (w/my walker) and ducking...

3 Likes

I'm gonna have to put on my "Please Don't Tease the Geeks" t-shirt. :wink:

3 Likes

For all of your hubs:

19 Likes

That's good, a quick bit of research suggests it is not an endeavor we would consider.

However I think as a product a POE splitter with UPS built in would be a neat device.

5 Likes

Honestly, at that point, I'd just put the PoE source device on a UPS....

Oh, wait... IT ALREADY IS!

2 Likes

Eufy sells a similar concept UPS for their Homebase 2 camera hub. It is a bit simpler in that it does not communicate its battery state/charge to the hub.

I think this is a great idea for Hubitat too. Thank you for taking the time to create the design. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

It would be perfect for keeping all my outdoor plugs connected on the Z-Wave mesh until I use them the next Christmas. Only HALF joking... may have to look at one of their 22 outlet models...

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think if this could be reasonably designed and if you add a radio(s) and you pay the FCC fee, this could be sold at a reasonable price for a profit. I mean lets say $99.00 usd. more than 1 usb output. Zigbee... Even though it was only a joke from @bravenel a version with poe that is simply for power conversion to either usb-c or micro. Just a thought. Might be enough to cover the cost in the hobbiest market of not just HE but one or 2 others.

1 Like

Kind what I have - my router and POE Switch are on a pretty good UPS, and my HE on a POE splitter - but doesn't do auto shut down of HE when battery runs down. Does run a pretty long time though, so hopefully I get to it. Watching this project.

1 Like

A fire waiting to happen !

1 Like

I looked at POE. Because the Ethernet signal has to be handled it becomes a much more in depth device than we are willing to take on. Besides you can get a POE splitter for around $15 from TPLink.

Radio: What you suggest the radio do? I would think the only benefit would be to tell the HUB the mains was lost, and there are plenty of alternatives. Since I would guess this UPS will be within a few feet of the Hub, I don't see a router function being useful.

2 Likes

What is?

That was the reference to the 66 AC outlet power strip.

1 Like

Oh yeah, reminded me of all the 3-way into 3-way into 3-way for the Christmas lights in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

7 Likes